Best ways to calm down

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This kind of tilt is also very familiar to me and sometimes I had the following situation:

In one of the subsequent hands it then happened that I made a bad decision and still won. After that, everything was back in emotional balance and the "injustice" was cleared up.

What remained, however, were two problems:
- I was rewarded for bad play.
- I had not fixed the original problem of why I was emotionally out of control.

With experience and some self-management, it does get better, but of course it can always happen again. If you can not controll, take a (longer) break.

Good luck

_L0ntana

_L0ntana

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep calm

To level this situation, I get up, play with my pet, answer cell phone messages, walk, look for a drink and come back. Enough to calm me down.:ciao::ciao:

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Before playing poker you have to understand that this game requires a very strong mind because, we face bad beat situations all the time, spots when you start very strong and you come out a loser, that happens to everyone.

It is very important to be aware of this.

When you play correctly, the results are good despite the bad beats.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
What do you do to calm down and stick to your strategy when this happens in a tournament and you have to keep playing?

Turning into Rage Monster usually helps to "calm down" ...

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually, i walk away for 5 minutes and gather myself. it helps me to keep my focus on the long game and not one or two hands

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tea always help to calm down. Take interest in other hobbies to take the pressure off.

K

Kicsike10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually light a cigarette, and stay out a couple of hands, as long as I don't get AA hahaha
Luck is everyone's business, sometimes it touches us and another turns against u

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Especially when I play good and end up losing to someone who plays bad and gets lucky, I gradully get so tilted that I end up making some bad decisions. What do you do to calm down and stick to your strategy when this happens in a tournament and you have to keep playing?

Research about self-control.

There are some breathing exercises that work really well for me, worth looking into.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Deep Breathing (Diaphragm breathing) and counting can help. Look around at three different things in the room.
Forgetting about your negative emotions and being grateful for something in your life can help. (Think about Family, Friends, Good times)

Have a Tea, eat food that you like

There’s also some great Apps and YouTube videos to help you relax and have guided meditations if you’re not used to or haven’t practiced mindfulness before (Calm, Lumosity Mind, I use Fitbit Premium and it has mindfulness/exercise videos but there’s plenty of free apps available and you can find some great videos depending on YouTube) (Delilah Helton is excellent, search release anger)

Hope you have a relaxing day and crush at the tables! :)

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There probably isn't a perfect answer but try some of what everyone says works for them a find some that work for you. I've played long enough to know that if I just got snaked I'm gonna eventually snake someone too. But when I do get upset I'll go for a walk or online I'll let it go fast because I play to many tables at once to get away.

Especially when I play good and end up losing to someone who plays bad and gets lucky, I gradully get so tilted that I end up making some bad decisions. What do you do to calm down and stick to your strategy when this happens in a tournament and you have to keep playing?

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree with most of the above statements. If in the middle of a game I will just sit back for a few hands and ONLY play super strong hands, then I will come back to the table.

Now if I am playing something like a spin and go on PS, I can get pretty wound up. Obviously you can't sit out a fe hands on that game. I will lose then jump right back into another game thinking I will win THIS one and boom it happens again. I get knocked out. So after a tough loss on a Spin and Go I MUST walk away from the entire game for a while and go do something else.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, I also use breathing.
Breath in - hold - breath out -hold
The holding part is most important!
Exactly, it is the basis of meditation. This exercise helps a lot to paralyze thoughts at the moment by calming you down. No doubt it will help a lot.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally I don't sweat the bad beats, they just happen. A lot of players seem to think it's a pro move to speculate with garbage and significant portions (30-60%) of their stack. Usually I win those, when I don't the whole table gets to see what an idiot they actually are. So kind of a win/win.

If it's a real bad beat by a "wtf would they call my raise with that garbage out of position in the first place and why in the hell would they call my flop bet with absolutely NOTHING, then runner runner me?" kind of BS situation?

Online? I sit out for a quick bit and go punch the shit out of something (soft, no walls... so i don't break any fingers) and swear at the lucky chasing donkey.

In a live tourney in Vegas however? I just gotta sit there and suck it up. I try and not play a hand or two however as inside i'm screaming like a fcuking madman and envisioning their head exploding. I tend to get asked why i'm smiling after such a bad beat....

Edit: I do NOT meditate, i'm not that evolved.....

Last edited:
D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all i try to look if i could have done something different to avoid what happened. If there were no mistakes and i just got unlucky i realize its part of the game, and make a note on the player that played poorly.