The best games for beginner learner to play???

Razor_King

Razor_King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id say start with SnG's. Then go to MTT's. It all depends however on the bankroll and what it can handle etc.

As long as you don't start with Cash Tables everythings good! Last thing you want is to be discouraged with things. Play money can also help (Y) but donksvillarizona doesnt!!!!

S

spacemiu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definetely sng's, and definetely non-turbos. If you get bored in those waiting for a hand, rather than going for turbos (which are higher varience, and not a place that rewards good play in long term) open up more tables.

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
id say start with SnG's. Then go to MTT's. It all depends however on the bankroll and what it can handle etc.

As long as you don't start with Cash Tables everythings good! Last thing you want is to be discouraged with things. Play money can also help (Y) but donksvillarizona doesnt!!!!

what would be wrong with learning cash first? cash is def the hardest thing to learn, so if you learn the complicated concepts/dont develop terrible bad habits first that makes for a better poker player overall imo.

R

richardAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe not best way to learn but i have found good way to boost bankroll is 10bb shortstack at cash games. its easy to clear bonus and there's simple strategy chart u can follow. my friend says it is good for total beginner to get used to software and variance

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the only problem with $1 SNG's at Full Tilt is the rake. These things are $1 + $.25. A standard SNG is usually a 10% rake or even slightly less at higher levels. So, you're throwing away 2.5x the normal rake per SNG.

It's a different skill set, but why not try the 1 cent/ 2 cent cash games until you put together enough money to play at the $2 + $.25 or higher SNGs?

Dont worry about the rake until start winning. You want to get the most hands in for the least amout of money while you are learning. Also look at the double or nothing sng's on stars or the beginner sng's on bodog that pay 5 places. (5th gets the buyin back).

You will loose less money in sng's for the amount of hands you play starting out.

J

Jimbojpc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont worry about the rake until start winning. You want to get the most hands in for the least amout of money while you are learning. Also look at the double or nothing sng's on stars or the beginner sng's on bodog that pay 5 places. (5th gets the buyin back).

You will loose less money in sng's for the amount of hands you play starting out.
WOW! alot of great information. BigJoker has really solid stuff here.

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sngs get you ready for the big torneys well it got me ready the stucture is a bit differnt i started by playing small sngs workin my way.even some times playing the 90and180 sng tests your skills:):)

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would first recommend making yourself some solid bankroll rules - Google Chris Fergusons bankroll rules!

Don't worry about Bank Roll management until you start winning, and moving up to where the $$ really matter.

Deposit $20-$100 and when you loose it deposit more. Also note: Your bank role is not just what you have online.

I think it's silly how some many people talk about bank roll management. If you are playing poker for your primary source of income or if you are trying to run $5 into $1000 THEN its important. Not for someone who can afford to deposit several time while they learn.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my personal opinion the best way to learn would have to be SNGs. The reason for this is that at a realtively low buy-in, you'll get a lot of poker hands in with little risk. So, while you may only pay $1 to play in the SNGs, you're going ot get in a whole lot of hands that would've cost you much more in a ring game. The problem with MTTs is they end up being donkaments with people pushing all-in all the time and you won't end up learning much. At least in an SNG you are only risking your small buy-in to play a whole lot of poker.

+1

Learn to play TAG early and it will serve you well.

Yep. Definitely agree with the TAG comment. I was posting about the game type as OP specified, but in regards to play style James is deifneitely right. TAG play is easy to learn, easy to implement and easy to profit off of... provided it is done right. The only requirements is that the player is patient enough to play good hands only and if you are dedicated to learning poker and improving your game then you'll be likely to adhere to TAG guidelines.
+1
TAG, is the way to go. SNGs are the way to go. You will learn a lot more playing in SNGs, then you would in ring games, you can move up to 18 player SNGs, you can keep moving up as the better you get = more pay out.

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
+1
TAG, is the way to go. SNGs are the way to go. You will learn a lot more playing in SNGs, then you would in ring games, you can move up to 18 player SNGs, you can keep moving up as the better you get = more pay out.

cash will def. teach you more than sngs because cash youre at least 100bb's deep. the end of sngs are all simple ICM, so theres not toooo much to learn in that regard.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say single table SnGs are the best place to start. Like someone else had said, if your at a site with Double or Nothings or Bodog with the beginner SnGs those are probably your best bet for just starting out. But, DoNs are definitely played different then normal SnGs, because you aren't trying to collect every last chip and win the thing completely, you just want to beat half the field and cash.

To me SnGs are way better for starting out, because you can see A LOT more hands for cheaper. But to each his own.

Top 10 Games