Best Book To Read...

S

SuperDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a book called Ken Warren Teaches Hold 'em. This book was criticized a little bit in a review I subsequently read, but I liked it. It provides exercises to teach you instead of just lecturing. However, it is for the very beginner who may not even know the rules yet.

After reading the book I drove to Atlantic City and played live poker for the only time in my life. I played $2/4 limit HE and finished up approximately $250 after an 18 hour session. So the book isn't all bad. It it easy reading and clear lessons, but it is for beginners.

if ur looking for a great poker book and a great read go for Doyle's super system. Improved my game a ton, especially my Limit holdem game. Also a lot of interesting poker anicdotes aswell.

Is Super System II a continuation (or sequel) to Super System? Do you have to read SS and then read SSII or can you go straight to SSII without missing much?

Lastly, the article written by Chris Ferguson on proper Bankroll Management should be at the top of your list. Takes about 10 minutes to read but will save you the heartache of trying to figure out what limits to play and when you should move up (or down).

Is his article online anywhere? Got a link?

Thanks,
-SD

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sklansky's NLHE: theory and practice has helped me out a toooon. pick it up, it will definitely help yo game

M

mimi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first poker book I read was Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. It was easy to read and has tons of information. I ended up buying the Little Blue Book and Black Book also. There is more poker history in the black one. It's all good. Someone mentioned having a hard time understanding Doyle Brunson's Super System. I got it and only read the NLHE parts. That makes it a little easier because I'm not that interested in other poker games at the moment. I have not read Dan Harrington's book yet, but it is on my list of must reads.

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been wondering and asking several players which book I should read as I am a beginner to Poker. I have been learning as I go, but really would like a book concerning the very basics of Poker. This is probably a backward way of learning, but I just jumped into playing into the deep end of the pool. I have heard a lot of conflicting advice...and some have been helpful, while others have not. Can anyone recommend a very basic handbook that will allow me to go into a tournament with knowledge rather than 'guessing & learning as I go'?
For the most part, I'm not a bad player...I can hold my own most of the time for 2- 2 1/2 hrs till my chips usually run out. I would like to know how I can learn about side pots v. main pots...the logic isn't very logical to me! I'd like to know how to immediately build up a big stack of chips in order to compete with others that do.
I am looking forward to replies that will enable me to eventually play very well indeed, & without looking & feeling like I'm 'lost at sea' because I'm not sure of what I'm doing! Thanks!:D

NewLucker

NewLucker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think best book is: Mike Matusows: Check-Raising The Devil. much of good info about much situations :) was wery good
When i can find this book? Matusow great player,and i will learned his school !
(answer me in PM)

B

bogartkick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I should check out Harrington's book. I'm still not good in playing poker, as I am learning it by searching in the internet. I will find this in any bookstore and to purchase it for making myself a good poker player someday, like everyone's favorite, Texas Hold'Em.

B

Bharat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read Phil Gorodon's books and i think they are pretty good books for beginners. You may also want to check out "Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen". Gus's books is mainly about hand reading and reading your opponents. There is very little poker strategy in the book, but you may learn some tournament strategies.