Best advice for full time learning

W

whyndam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a number of very good tips to learn the best way to play poker ... in fact some are already said in the previous post ... however I advise you to take seriously the discipline ... you must design a study schedule, hours of play and level at which you play .... I assure you that if you comply to the letter and discipline ... you will succeed in poker ...!

Yes there are some great tips here and designing a study schedule is exactly what I'm trying to do in this thread. I wanted to find out the best things to concentrate on each day and each week to build the fundamentals as a beginner to make the best use of my time. :)

I don't know if it's a good way, but I like looking at some names that wins tournament and follow them in tournament they're in now and learn how they do it.

You mean someone in an online tournament? How do you follow them - on twitch or something?

W

whyndam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Find good preflop ranges and memorize all of them. It's not actually as easy as you might think, opening ranges, flatting ranges and 3-bet ranges, it would consume ton of your time.

I wouldn't even think it would be easy. The other problem is people seem to have a lot of different ideas about opening ranges.

2. For postflop I advise power equilab or flopzilla, two equally great programs, in my opinion, for postflop analysis. You need to work with one of this programs to get better understanding of ranges on different boards.

I'm a casual programmer and I actually already made a tool like flopzilla and a few other tools to help me. I'm trying to use them to build some range charts and do analysis. But I feel I need to learn more about the basic game first.

3. Get pokertracker and review your hand history. You need this to notice your biggest leaks. A lot of mistakes are actually quite easy to fix, but you need to find them in the first place, to be able to.

Yeah pokertracker is a must once I've learnt a bit more and start playing. What?? I haven't started playing yet?? Maybe that's wrong. I was just playing on the APT simulator up until now but mainly studying.

4. Invest in GTO+. It is a very cheap postflop solver and I don't even get why it's so cheap. It can do most of what piosolver can do and yet, nobody speaks about it.

Yeah I saw that and wondered about it. How about the GTO trainer?

5. Don't play freerolls.

Haha yeah, not everyone would agree but I do think they may not be the best idea since people play so differently on them since there is no risk.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can agree. A lot of information available nowadays. Let me give you a fast start guide.

1. Join pokerstrategy.com (Free basic training)
2. Join Advanced Poker Training (free poker training site. Very suitable for beginners. Join through my signature and you will get a special discount for the premium version by playing few hands)
3. Play at least 2000 hands on APT and read pokerstrategy.com articles.
4. Join some poker site and start to play in lowest limits and build yourself up (instead of pokerstars I recommend to join some smaller pokersite. More bad players)
5. Play and study regularly. In the beginning, you don't need to know about probabilities, outs, odds etc difficult things. No one using those things in the lowest limits.

By this strategy, I turned my 10€ deposit to 700€ in few months.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can agree. A lot of information available nowadays. Let me give you a fast start guide.

1. Join pokerstrategy.com (Free basic training)
2. Join Advanced Poker Training (Free poker training site. Very suitable for beginners. Join through my signature and you will get a special discount for the premium version by playing few hands)
3. Play at least 2000 hands on APT and read pokerstrategy.com articles.
4. Join some poker site and start to play in lowest limits and build yourself up (instead of PokerStars I recommend to join some smaller pokersite. More bad players)
5. Play and study regularly. In the beginning, you don't need to know about probabilities, outs, odds etc difficult things. No one using those things in the lowest limits.

By this strategy, I turned my 10€ deposit to 700€ in few months.

Well your advise started well then went down hill rapidly come points 4 and 5. Playing against bad players isn't necessarily easier, generally they don't know when to lay a hand down, play with strange ranges and are more likely to do you on the river. Odds, outs and probabilities aren't that difficult and are a basic concept to grasp that many players at lower limits have a firm understanding of.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play- review your hands- study

I'm in a position to commit all my time to learning Poker right now but I'm not sure what the best way to use my time would be to achieve this. Like, should I be reading books, using online training software, training videos or what? There seem to be an overwhelming amount of resources available these days, which certainly makes it tough due to the competition so I want to make sure I make the best of these resources myself.

Regarding budget, I don't have enough to stretch for a coach and perhaps that wouldn't be the best for a beginner anyway, but I can afford to invest some like into membership of simulation websites, books or training videos etc.

I've tried to learn what I can over the last couple of weeks which is the sum total of my experience in poker until now and I think I would perhaps prefer tournaments rather than cash games so maybe my training should be focused on that.

Up until now I've been trying to absorb information from videos, websites, books etc and feel my learning needs more structure to get the best results.

If anyone can give a list of what to do in order, or what to do each day/week or anything like this that would be extremely helpful. :)

The best thing you can do is to be able to go back and study your play. As it actually happened. You can record your online sessions using OBS STUDIO it is what twitch broadcasters use. You can even record yourself while you play to evaluate your tilt potential. It is free and easy to use and there are many videos on how to set it up.

You can then clip hands and share them with others. The best way to learn poker is by creating a study group of dedicated players. If you have three in your group you can curate three times as much info. Always look for opinions that oppose your thoughts so that you can weigh your thinking vs other insights.

Jonathan Little is a great resource check him out.

Reach out to me if you want to discuss the next steps after you can measure and evaluate your play.

:)

M

muazkkh1996

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for me i learn from lots of professional poker players videos,like ivey ,durr ,but i also implement that in practice with freerolls ,so my advice go watch what the pros do and practice it in freerolls,goodluck

W

whyndam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best thing you can do is to be able to go back and study your play. As it actually happened. You can record your online sessions using OBS STUDIO it is what twitch broadcasters use. You can even record yourself while you play to evaluate your tilt potential. It is free and easy to use and there are many videos on how to set it up.

You can then clip hands and share them with others. The best way to learn poker is by creating a study group of dedicated players. If you have three in your group you can curate three times as much info. Always look for opinions that oppose your thoughts so that you can weigh your thinking vs other insights.

Jonathan Little is a great resource check him out.

Reach out to me if you want to discuss the next steps after you can measure and evaluate your play.

:)

Thanks very much, that's some great advice. :)

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all read How to study poker by Sky Matsuhashi. Through the book he will give you some free training material from his website and if you sign up to his newsletter you'll get quite a lot of free resource. His book will also set you up to get the most out of any book you read. Since reading his book I've re read several of my books using his methods and got so much more out of them. As a starter I recommend then reading Harrington on Holdem to give you some good base knowledge of tournament strategy. Your learning from there should be based around weaknesses you find in your game.

Thank you for your post i really need this books

Daniel VanRiper

Daniel VanRiper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in a position to commit all my time to learning Poker right now but I'm not sure what the best way to use my time would be to achieve this. Like, should I be reading books, using online training software, training videos or what? There seem to be an overwhelming amount of resources available these days, which certainly makes it tough due to the competition so I want to make sure I make the best of these resources myself.

Regarding budget, I don't have enough to stretch for a coach and perhaps that wouldn't be the best for a beginner anyway, but I can afford to invest some like into membership of simulation websites, books or training videos etc.

I've tried to learn what I can over the last couple of weeks which is the sum total of my experience in poker until now and I think I would perhaps prefer tournaments rather than cash games so maybe my training should be focused on that.

Up until now I've been trying to absorb information from videos, websites, books etc and feel my learning needs more structure to get the best results.

If anyone can give a list of what to do in order, or what to do each day/week or anything like this that would be extremely helpful. :)
Read books and run drills to prove you understand what you have learned from reading. Take it slow and don't try to absorb too much information. Might take 10 years. GOOD LUCK[emoji35]