Best advice for a beginner?

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start with freerolls, read books(Harrington on holdem, Sklansky etc.), think, be analitical, never bluff at micros, play you position, BR management, try DoN if you are a begineer, and when you increase your BR, just play play play. There is no book or forum or anything that can replace experience you gain by playing.
GL

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it was a combination of reading and playing.
Until you get some hands under your belt, the reading may
not make too much sense.
But once you re-read them after you play some, it becomes much clearer!
The other thing is to pick one or maybe two concepts to learn and use at once.
Trying too many ideas at once will lead to confusion..

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm still a beginner too but what I have been doing is trying to identify common situations where I am not sure what to do, and it seems like I'm getting run over every time those situations occur. Lately I've been studying the nuances of tournament play heads-up with various stack sizes, it turns out that I've been making a number of mistakes (playing too tight and folding the button way too often) and I'm working on improving in that area. I think it's good to focus on one aspect of the game at a time rather than trying to make some kind of big leap in skill. Trying to guess a player's range of hole cards based on their betting patterns is a good exercise, even if you're not involved in a hand.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As well as playing loads and reading up on the game, i'd advise you to watch the professionals play on you tube.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'd advise you to watch the professionals play on you tube.

Really? Why?. Hopefully not to use the way they play in your own games... Cause that could be a BAAAAAAD idea. DUCY? I am guessing not.

OP, look at this threads, and get involved in discussions.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...ers-video-week-votw-thread-221659/index8.html

Post hands and get involved there as well.

There are many good suggestions in this thread as well, but, like the one above, you have to be careful with advice, cause some is lol bad.

The learning process goes at different paces for different people. My biggest advice would be to be patient - in game and in study - and be honest with yourself. Welcome criticism. And dont be afraid to use things you learn, dont be afraid to accept that you are not as good as you want to be.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really? Why?
You can learn by listening to the commentators explain why the players might be doing what they are doing. You can see the terms and strategies you read about in action. For instance the importance of position will be drummed into you, and by watching (with background reading) you can start to understand why.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I learned a lot when I first started by watching High Stakes Poker Gable Kaplan is an excellent commentator also The big Game Joe Stapleton is good at explaining things and what a player should do.. PAD cash games is okay too

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You people are awesome! Giving me some great advice here! Thank you so much for all your help! I am trying to soak all this in, and I am learning the game, although my BR is now 1.11 lol but that is all on me. I am getting there, and learning and loving this game.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The nuances and dynamics between players at HSP is not at all comparable to micro online play. You see players calling a raise with 63 or other stuff, there is a reason they do this. And these reasons are not at all applicable to 100BB micro stakes poker. You also only see hands that make the edit.

You dont need TV shows to understand the power of position.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nuances and dynamics between players at HSP is not at all comparable to micro online play. You see players calling a raise with 63 or other stuff, there is a reason they do this. And these reasons are not at all applicable to 100BB micro stakes poker. You also only see hands that make the edit.

You dont need TV shows to understand the power of position.

This. Learning from televised cash games such as HSP and PAD isn't in the best interests of a learning player. They are playing far too complex for a beginner to disect and gain much understanding from their moves.

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I got started to play poker online my stepdad gave me some money to play but the deal was I had to read two poker books first. Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Harrinton On Holdem. The Little Green Book helped me alot to get started.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play Cash only play with money you can afford to lose.
Learn the Basics/Fundamentals and slowly introduce new plays that you learn