Best advice for a beginner?

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best advice you can give a beginner Holdem player? Something you wish you new when you started? Thanks.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you're playing only to flop a hand, you're going to have a bad time.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started out there was no online poker, so I will assume you are talking about online poker and give you some advice. Stay at the micro level, and freerolls until you know you're doing.

J

jasonv12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just get a flow and rhythm to your play. Think about what gives you the best chance to win chips/money, rather than what could happen and have a plan for every hand you're dealt, before putting a single chip into the pot pre-flop.

If you raise, you are in essence taking control of the pot.

Also, you should look up what position means and why that is relevant.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice I got starting out was to learn to play ABC TAG poker well enough to be a consistent winner before trying to get into anything more advanced. At the entry levels, the biggest source by far of chips / profit is other people's poor play, not your cleverness or your ability to outplay them. .

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice I can give to a beginner is to play in position, don't limp in with crap and fold most hands to raises. Don't fall in love with hands like AJ or AQ. They're not good enough to call with.

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't let greed get in your way, bet and value bet your premium hands and fold all junk, no need to try and out play micro level players.

B

banshee1975

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when i first started i didnt know much of anything. I lost a bunch and then started reading all about odds and poker strategy. I would suggest learning what odds you need to call bets when you have an open ended strait draw or a flush draw on the flop. Also why you shouldnt play hands like A 10 in a lot of cases etc. there are a ton of good articles on this site that ive re-read as ive been out of the game for 6 years. If you know the odds youll know what hands to call raise or fold. Oh, and dont be afraid to fold.

R

rodpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, read some of the articles available here on cardschat. Second, work on your patience. Third, remember that position plays a very important part in poker strategy. Forth, don't let yourself get put on tilt.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be picky about what hands you want to play preflop. Maybe get a book like Nathan Williams "Crushing The Micros" and use his hand chart/position advice.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best advice I got starting out was to learn to play ABC TAG poker well enough to be a consistent winner before trying to get into anything more advanced. At the entry levels, the biggest source by far of chips / profit is other people's poor play, not your cleverness or your ability to outplay them. .

First off thank you so much to everyone for all the great advice!
Also what is ABC TAG poker? Thanks everyone!!

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice would be don't let your ego get in the way of good decision making (I still do this sometimes) and don't play above your means. And last but not least realize that poker is a game that makes everyone feel like they're the best at it after a win or two, realize that you're not and always look for ways to improve.

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^ Best advise of the thread. Start your poker education by getting a solid grasp on BR management theory.

Unfortunately that's one lesson that most players including myself have/had to learn the hard way ;)

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me about it, lol. I still haven't dug myself out of that hole.

TheKid84

TheKid84

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Invest an amount you're prepared to lose.

Consider that money your 'training' money.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First off thank you so much to everyone for all the great advice!
Also what is ABC TAG poker? Thanks everyone!!

Tight, aggressive, ie. play quality hands in position, don't limp, don't min raise.
The importance of position is maybe the hardest concept to appreciate as a beginning player really doesn't know what he doesn't know.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
bankroll Management!!! my first tournament I ever cashed was the first tournament I ever played and it was 2nd place for $800 and I blew it all on cash games... I learned a lot from it though and got a lot of experience out of it but if I had good Bankroll Management back then who knows what I could have done with it.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I 1st started I lacked Patience.I played way too many hands.I really didn't know how important or powerful position was.Once I won my 1st MTT it gave me more confidence.You need confidence when you play.

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice by far is to have a good bankroll management. Most of begginers players make the same mistake and this is very important to become a winning player in a long term.

My advice is always play a maximum of 2% of your bankroll in a game, this way you'll be able to hold on to a bad streak (which ALL poker players have, even the pros).

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice by far is to have a good bankroll management. Most of begginers players make the same mistake and this is very important to become a winning player in a long term.

My advice is always play a maximum of 2% of your bankroll in a game, this way you'll be able to hold on to a bad streak (which ALL poker players have, even the pros).

My bankroll right now is 4.50 so i guess Im in trouble lol :(

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ABC TAG poker is playing tight (AA,KK,QQ, AK etc) and playing those hands agro. Always raise with those hands preflop, never limp. Just a quick thought, watch the board! AA is great pre flop but if 3 suited cards come not so good after. Also I like to take notes on other players. That said bankroll management is key. With a 4.50 br you should be playing in .25 cent tournies. Good luck.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good advice overall but the most important think for a beginner is to just learn the game. When you start out in poker, you're gonna lose. That's pretty much a given and IMO bankroll management is just an added distraction. Of course you shouldn't play with more money than you can afford to lose but someone playing .05/.10 has more important things to focus on than worrying about preserving the $50 in his account.

Suffice it to say that it's enough for them to understand that there is such a thing as bankroll management and that might come into play should they ever get good enough to have to worry about it.

K

KPtoken420

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have some time set aside with no distractions, You cant play or do anything else for others at the same time and both will suffer because of it.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read some Pokerbooks
view some Video
have Bankrollmanagement
play only premium Hands and play them offensive
dont be "money scared" its just a game :)