Beginning stages of freerolls

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, all the freerolls I play, it never fails, early on I will get an AK suited or KK or some other big hand. I will bet 5 X BB and then someone shoves. Or they shove before I bet. Some of these players you know to have been pushing with anything. Early on, do you call on the BINGO play or just fold and wait for these maniacs to bust out?

Example this morning, I was in one of the $10 freeroll on demand at America's Cardroom. I had AK suited. Guy before me pushed. I called. Two other after me called. One person had A 6. The guy that shoved first had 9 6 unsuited. Other person had a baby pair. Guess what? 9 6 won with a straight. The odds always seem to be in my favor over and over yet I get beat over and over by much lesser hands. What to do?

Do the same. You had the best hand, that matters only. By winning such hands your stack becomes very huge. The target is to get in top 3...and you need huge stack to do it. ;)

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Myself I think is good to have this type of action.. yeah you dont want 3-4-5 callers to a A-K situation... however it is either you are out or you tripe up or more early in the tournament.

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel it's just the variance of the flop especially when it's a pre-flop all-in.

My AA got cracked by Q 6. Lost 1/2 my stack. Decided to just play tight. Next good hand was a KK. Cracked again with a monkey (but big stack, so I guess the odds were in his favour) who called with 7 2. Got lucky when he hit runner runner straight.

Even the tourneys where I pay for entry, I play tight and I know my hand is dominating pre-flop, flop I hit top pair. I do a C bet on flop and on turn. The villain just calls. In the end, villain rivers his second pair. He had bottom pair on the turn and rivered his second pair. And the thing was, I didn't make it a small bet, it was 3/4 the pot. He just flats it. We are of the same stack.

Times like this it makes me feel like I'm just playing poker all wrong and makes me lose the motivation. :(

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played quite a few of these while waiting for deposit from US. Actually won 5-6 the only thing it teaches you is patience; the rest is just nuts. The software included-- as the object of the software at certain points is to eliminate players so a player with some funky hand but large stack will win against your KKs just to keep the game going or you would be there for days.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had AA and KK cracked by low gaper straights yesterday :/

How often can one person win a freeroll with 500+ people? I just started playing them about 3 days ago and usually get top 100 and my best is 15th place(5 from the money!)

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had AA and KK cracked by low gaper straights yesterday :/

How often can one person win a freeroll with 500+ people? I just started playing them about 3 days ago and usually get top 100 and my best is 15th place(5 from the money!)
I cash out in the America's Cardroom free rolls about 1 out of every 10 tries. Maybe could cash out more often if I didn't shove so often at the beginning.

Keep playing them. They are good experience (Just disregard the beginning, that's very unlike normal tournament play) for down the road, and you'll be surprised how much better you get over time.

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these are the 3 main ways i have found in how to start a freeroll hope it helps
Strategy #1: Get lucky early
There’s plenty of variations to this. Basically, you are trying to get all of your chips into a pot early. Why? Because everyone else is. In some freerolls you might see five or six people pushing on the first hand. Even if you wait out the opening rounds and play solid tight poker, you may be up against players with 10 times the chips you have. When you are dealt AA, and you have 1,400 chips, a player with 20K might call with any two cards and beat you. And you might be up against several players who are prospecting. Your 1400 doesn’t scare them. They can afford to play every pot, and you can’t.
So when you can’t beat them, join them. Push on the first hand, or any early hand, with pretty much any cards. I would avoid pushing with an ace less than A10, since you’ll likely be dominated. And hands like 3-5 can probably be tossed as well. Better yet, unless you have a monster (JJ-AA). I would wait until the second hand, when you’ll likely have fewer callers and a better shot to win a pot.
The benefit of this? You find out early if you want to devote time to the freeroll. If you can start creating a big stack early, you have a much better chance of cashing. Slow and tight can often be a recipe for getting sucked out on by someone with a much larger stack. If you lose? So what? You haven’t lost anything. You’ve actually gained time and energy to devote to another freeroll.
Once again, I don’t recommend this when the freeroll offers better prizes. The poker is likely to be much better.
Strategy #2: Super tight
The exact opposite approach can sometimes work in freerolls as well. Since you know nearly everyone else is trying to get lucky, sitting back and waiting for a monster can be a good strategy. Take that uber-aggressiveness and use it against them.
As we discuss, the preflop monster is good, but can get you into trouble against multiple big stacks. The post-flop monster, when you’ve hit your big hand, is preferable.
Don’t sit back and let people bet it for you, though. Bet out against the big stacks. They’ll probably call you because they’re bored. Or want to get lucky again.
Playing just the top 10 hands is a good idea, perhaps mixing in suited connectors. But don’t go prospecting with junk.
The goal here is too build a bankroll through solid play, which doesn’t always work. But if you’re playing as much for fun as for the result, this can be a good way to play a freeroll.
Strategy #3: Prospecting
This could really be strategy #1a. But it’s different. Here your goal is to see as many flops as possible before the stacks around you get too big.
This probably means skipping the first hand, and maybe the first several. Once the play calms down, call with any two cards, unless you are up against big raises (greater than 4x the big blind). Once again, the goal is too get lucky and try to build a bankroll. But you are giving yourself perhaps dozens of hands to do so. You’ll once again figure out if you can get a big stack early, making it worth your while to play.

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried Strategy #1.

AQ lost to 8d10s.

Runner runner and hits a 8 pair on the river.

F

Fevah7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Although the game of poker offers information such as pot/equity odds, player tells, etc, Poker is still a game of luck. If the players around you are shoving in with bullshit, its cool. In the long run, you will become a more profitable player because statistically your playing correct. Kick yourself in the ass for play the wrong way instead of the right way.

U

United

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played quite a few of those, I've won two of them and cashed in probably a dozen of them. Here's my take on it.

They run them about every 20 minutes during peak hours. So if I bust early I wait a few more minutes and I start another. If I double or triple up a few times, I'm sitting in really good position to be aggressive at the tables, which is what I prefer on free rolls. So if I start at 1500 chips, like that freeroll, I shove with any two face cards and any pocket pair until I get up to 10000 chips or so then I settle down and play my game. I'd never do this in a tournament that I actually paid to enter, but for these free rolls it's the only way I can play them. Every ones playing so loose that if I wait for AA or KK to shove, or I wait to flop the nuts, I'll get blinded out before I get any kind of a stack.

^ This

It is depressing that donk's seem to win those though :(

My advice would be to shove in with the first hand no matter what you get. It IS a freeroll after all and one will start again soon. You're sure to get at least 1 caller, which would let you either be the dominating stack or out until the next one.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Public Freerolls(not cc freerolls) should NOT be played normally. It is a bingo fest.

You MUST play loose. If there's 3-4 all-ins in front of me and I'm holding 67s, I'm calling. I don't care if I bust out. This is heavily a -EV decision in real-money tournaments where you have limited number of buy-ins but with freerolls, you have unlimited number of buy-ins, meaning you can infinitely play freerolls as many times as you want without losing anything. And considering the fact that all the prizes are awarded to only top 5% of the field for measily amount, there is no point of playing Hellmuth-style poker of playing tight in early stage. You can start playing normal poker after 1.5-2 hours have gone by since that's when people will start taking it seriously since they've invested enough time. But in early stage, play loose. Nothing to lose, high number of chips to gain. It's just matter of being able to change gears once you have accumulated enough chips and played enough. But until then, play loose. I just loosen up my range and shove or call all-ins with any type of suited connectors, Any ace, TJ+, any pocket pair. I couldn't care less if I am dominated and bust out since I didn't invest anything. As I accumulate chips, I slowly tighten up and once I've tightened up enough and time has gone by, then I know I can start playing for reals.

Now for cc freerolls or other private freerolls where payouts are great, players will play to win and making wreckless plays will hardly pay off. In other words, you will actually have to play poker, opposed to public freerolls, where it's just bingo shovefest while payouts are not great.

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a big hand early someone will double you up or suckout lol

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play tight as you would in any other tourney. When you do have a hand don't be afraid to bet, as more often than not players will call big raises and bets in freerolls.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are some of the people here saying wait for the big hand in a PUBLIC FREEROLL where you have NOTHING to lose. Do you guys just listen to Phil Hellmuth or just play by the book and apply advices in wrong or different environment? This is equivalent to trying to apply cash game strategies to tournaments or tournament strategies to cash games. What works well in certain situations doesn't work well in other situations.

Playing loose in early stage and shoving or calling off several all-ins with suited connectors, any broadway is definitely -EV play and playing like this in real-money tournaments will cost your bankroll unless you have lot of buy-ins sustainable enough to withstand the variance. HOWEVER, in a freeroll, there's NOTHING to lose since you don't lose anything since it's FREE. You actually benefit if you bust early since you save time, or you donk out and accumulate lot of chips early on, which then you have the advantage and will have a better shot at winning the freeroll or go deep. At that point while the time has passed by, then you can start playing TAG style or start playing poker.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True enough. The only cost in a freeroll is your time.

Freeroll Passwords