Beginner Mistakes

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's normal for everyone to make mistakes. As you improve, you'll learn to make fewer and to lose less when you do, at least sometimes.

And to add a couple more things to the list::
- Fancy play syndrome. Making plays that are unnecessary, sub-optimal and/or inappropriate
- Over-shove bluffing. While this does induce folds quite often, those times result in winning small or mid-sized pots while being called leads to maximum losses.
- In tournaments, tightening up when approaching the money bubble and pay jumps.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice list from BlueNowhere. I can add a few more...

-not playing strong draws aggressively enough
-calling 3-bets out-of-position
-not backing off your hand when a loose passive player re-raises you
-playing too many tables at once
-chasing bonuses/rewards
-no table selection - you want to be at tables fish on right, nits on left if possible
-not having a stop-loss for a session]
-tilting (obv)
-not having the patience to wait for good hands
-being unable to fold AA/KK postflop
-not understanding implied odds and how to play hands like suited connectors
-ignoring bankroll management
-not reading board textures and adjusting play accordingly so you are bluffing at the right times and c-betting on the right flops etc.

T

thejudge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok Im On the button with AA fold around to me big stack on BB and I raise 6x the BB and BB calls and hits a st8 on the flop hes has 56h call down my bets.. and says my play is bad....
Well he's an idiot ...anybody who calls a 6x raise with 56 hasn't got a clue and will lose overall ...He just got lucky and to have the nerve to say u played bad is laughable.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Past few days I have been doing bad in cash, running into sets like a hooker running into men... Anyways, sadly I have been paying these players off with TPTK or even 2 pair with flush draws and what not, so im not 100% mad at myself, however, i should know better.

None the less, I think this is a extremely hard leak to fix. Because at lower limits donk players are shoving Top pair, ANY kicker a lot of the times so folding top pair best kicker becomes difficult at micro limits.

Over all tho, when a player shoves, now a days, its because they have a very solid holding, rarely will you find a donk shoving AI with a pure draw. They are usually calling you down instead. So bet big :D

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Past few days I have been doing bad in cash, running into sets like a hooker running into men... Anyways, sadly I have been paying these players off with TPTK or even 2 pair with flush draws and what not, so im not 100% mad at myself, however, i should know better.

this is being results orientated, if you think you had good equity against their range then dont worry about them turning up with the absolute top of it

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok Im On the button with AA fold around to me big stack on BB and I raise 6x the BB and BB calls and hits a st8 on the flop hes has 56h call down my bets.. and says my play is bad....

Well how exactly did the betting go? Did you bet three times and got raised all in on the river or was it something else? What came on the turn and river? If you bet big on the first two streets and he called, then you might consider checking the river on a wet board.

onetrick247

onetrick247

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well how exactly did the betting go? Did you bet three times and got raised all in on the river or was it something else? What came on the turn and river? If you bet big on the first two streets and he called, then you might consider checking the river on a wet board.
I bet 6x BB pre flop with AA folds around to BB who calls with 56h the flop comes 2s3d4h dry and I bet the pot thinkin I have the best of it and a wheel draw he calls turn comes 9c... I bet half the pot he goes allin I didnt put him on a str8 and called brick river and lost he says I played it bad i was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What did you think he had when he shoves the turn? Overpair? 9x? I wouldn't say you played it badly, but this is probably the point in the hand you would want to revisit and think over...

Shwiggler

Shwiggler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making mistakes and learning from them is a great way to determine your leaks and to get better. Post hands in the forum for review. You will get better advice if you ask something specific. Also, do some sort of DB analysis with a coach or on your own if you can. Over a large sample size this will tell you where you are making the biggest mistakes and losing money. The HM and PT3 application Leak Buster does a great job with this.

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just keep playing with the best hands and out playing big stacks that play crap, at the end of the day happy with your play win or lose.

W

WOOFsam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey newbie, when a player doesn't think they make mistakes and have nothing left to learn. That is a huge mistake. Being married to a pair of cards because they are "pretty" and "powerful" to look at without being able to divorce them is a big mistake. Many things bring about "mistakes", and as one player noted, it is called a leak. Learn from it, plug it. Good playing to you.

F

Formula330

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good move pre flop but after that there could have been some better analysis. It happens though, chaulk it up as gaining experience.