Bank Roll Management

J

Johnnybmoto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your bankroll is all the money you're willing to use for poker, not just what you have on a specific site. That includes money still in your wallet or bank. If you consider the money on each site as a separate bankroll, you can end up with some ludicrous situations. For example, if I have $1000 on site A and use a 20x buyin guideline for ring games, then assuming I buy in for the full amount, I can play NL50. But on site B, if I have $50 there and use the same 20x ratio, I can only play NL2. That's ridiculous since I'm the same person no matter which site I play on. In this example, I have one roll, not two. It's $1050, and I am adequately funded to play NL50 on either site.

This is only true if you have the means to get money from one site to the other at a moments notice.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, otherwise if you lose that buyin 2 times then you're down to NL25 with the $10 left. Unless you are on a merged network where both of your sites will transfer to one another, it is not the same bankroll. That's like saying a bank account at Chase Bank and a bank account at Fifth/Third Bank are the same bank account because they are both your money, but they are not the same, they each have their own interest rate and rules, etc... Playing at NL 50 with only $50 at that site isn't smart, and one bad day will make that roll go bye bye.

ethon

ethon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@GCpigeon

My BR seems to be behaving much like yours. A couple times now, my BR has been down to ~15$ from my initial 60, but I always seem to get it back up. I'm currently at $135 after a couple big wins in MTTs and 5NL.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every now and then i manage to boost my bankroll up a bit to about 8-10 bucks from freerolls and then i seem to get to this barier in a sense of what to do to keep it giong up... what can i do with 9 $????
im always afraid to lose it and then i end up playing small MTTS for about 2-3$ buy-in... this is bad isnt it? i know im not supposed to enter a MMT for more than 2% of my BR or something and a SNG for more than 3% but what am i supposed to do???? anything to do with such a low BR than just grind it in the ring games??

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play $2 9-45 man tourneys, 02nl cash, .10-.25 MTT or freerolls.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like a plan, ill try to manage my few bucks as well as i can.
thank you for the tip, ill let you know how i do. if i make it to 1000$ im gonna give you 5, and i probably wont remember so your going to have to hold me to that.:D

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every now and then i manage to boost my bankroll up a bit to about 8-10 bucks from freerolls and then i seem to get to this barier in a sense of what to do to keep it giong up... what can i do with 9 $????
im always afraid to lose it and then i end up playing small MTTS for about 2-3$ buy-in... this is bad isnt it? i know im not supposed to enter a MMT for more than 2% of my BR or something and a SNG for more than 3% but what am i supposed to do???? anything to do with such a low BR than just grind it in the ring games??

what site do you play at? if your on pokerstars you can play 1cent sit nad goes. on fulltilt there's a 10 cent MTT that your rolled for. i started my roll from nada. i made it upto $40+ in freerolls before starting 2nl. turns out all i really would of needed was $4. it's ok if you take shots at the smallest buyins even if your not rolled for them. if you go bust you can go back to freerolls. by not waiting till your rolled for smaller buyins you might save some time as you might run good to start. i would try single table SNGs efore i'd do a MTT as your more likely to cash. there is also 30 cent satellites to the daily dollar on fulltilt which is a good play to build a BR. unresister for tourney $ or play in the Daily dollar.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At all times I will play at limits no more than 5% of my bankroll at all times and 2% or less for MTT and sit-n-gos.
Answer :

Chris Fergusson is a smart guy.But he does not realize many things.We are ameteurs and he thinks everyone is like himself...

Better Solution

1.U should treat poker like a business.
why :Buyin only %1 percent
Numbers should be so easy.100X
u are an average player ,remember Chris Fergusson is a pro he can do with %2 and %5 .but u are not a pro.U make so many mistakes.
*if u play for 2 dolars , dont hesitate to deposit 200 dolars.Losing time is worse in poker.

2.if u are a beginner u should play SNG.
why : u never play with scare money give yourself a chance to win.
Never worry about the money,%1 does not make u go on tilt even u lose 10 times.

3.Play only one type of game

why : if u can not specialize u lose your edge.
Poker is a game of small edges.
and every day play 100 games if u can and evalute your winrate in 100 games.

my experience,

1.deposit 30 dolars> max : 70 dolars and lost it all
2.deposit 50 dolars> max : 500 dolars and lost it all
3.deposit 10 dolar > max : 150 dolars and lost it all

and i did not obey these rules.Please try them.Think yourself as a small business owner.Remember u got to win the war first in your head.

FINAL NOTICE : if u blow up your bankroll by sticking to them , quit poker for good u had 100 chances to play in a specialized game and u lost it all.There are more fun things to do in life.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm I thinik there is some good and some bad in the advice about sticking to one game.

The advantages you list are clear. But there are advantages to learning other games too.

Learning to think a little more deeply comes from learning other games. Playing PL can teach a lot about betting strategies and pot control just be the nature of the game for example.

And the guys who beat horse... well they are the real men IMHO.

Plus you may find, when playing other games, that a certain game suits your style and personality more than another. For example I think I am naturally better at PLO8 than NLHE. But playing PLO8 has improved my NLHE game too.

PS. you admit to going bust 3 times and are giving advice on bankroll management? :0 ;)

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah.. that's all crazy.. Just stay away from going on Full Tilt. I have been there and it's badass.

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning to think a little more deeply comes from learning other games. Playing PL can teach a lot about betting strategies and pot control just be the nature of the game for example.

True,

but the original poster wants to do the bankroll management.I think he has less of a chance if he has got to many variables.it is better to limit the variables.

ofcourse it is good to know many games and improve but i think improving the game over all is a different matter than bankroll management.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what site do you play at?

i play on FTP only. i like playing there for some reason more than in any other site. and i have done the 0.10 MTT. ive even gotten 44th place a while back. lately ive been having a hard time getting past the first stages seeing as people who dont mind rebuing just go all in every hand and make t very dificult to win. sooner or later im gonna make my big payday.... i hope:D

G

GCpigeon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another Weekend has passed me by

Thank you to everyone for all of the posts:) . I was busy most of the weekend and didnt get to play much. On Sunday I won a $2 buy in satelite to one of the Mini FTOP events. I was having a hard way to go and I wasnt playing my "A" game, needless to say I didnt fare well and I failed to cash in the tournament but I did sit in a NL.05-.10 ring game and won a few dollars.
Sunday was the only day that I really had time to sit and play. My bank roll is still sitting at $130.97.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My holdem stategy is always to multiply the amount you have to pay to enter into a table or in a tournament for 30.
If this value exceeds my bank do not, therefore, if I have a bad normally do this calculation oblige me to gradually reduce my buy, not committing the error basic tips that many players, repeatedly losing and retrieve what has been lost in a single table, head us or tournament.

This advice is of great importance to always have money to play poker

RI_ER_SA

RI_ER_SA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasnt playing my "A" game

Poker is a hard way to earn living.U got to be making always best decisions.Beign average puts u on the rail.

G

GCpigeon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still Hanging Around

Well the past couple of weeks have been bad for poker. I have recently quit at one place of employment and started at another. The problem is that my new job ( Driving a Dump Truck ) requires some very long days
and does not afford much time for playing poker.
What little I have played has been mostly Sit-N-goes. Keeping in mind that My Bankroll was at $130.00, I started @ $5.50 buy ins and I wasnt doing very well as I was on a losing streak, It seemed I couldnt do any thing right.Then I stepped down to $2.25 and still, I was losing. By that time by bank roll was at $86 and a little change. Fulltilt has given me a $45 bonus for the take 2 promotion last month and that was deposited to my account yesterday Giving me a total bankroll of $131.80 to start the weekend. Whatever I do I suppose that it will be best to play minimum stakes untill I get myself together enough to start winning again. I will keep you all up on how it's going as often as I can.