Bad fold??? AA

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so want a second opinion on a hand i played earlier at $05.$0.10 on unibet 6 max cash game. I should note, Villain was quite snug and maybe a little loose with cold calling 3bets and i had the impression he was overvaluing his relative hand strength at times. Not really to much of a thinking player but not a fish by any means. So...here goes.

0.5 0.10 B

UTG (120bb) raises to 0.30
Hero (220bb) UTG+1 Dealt A♦️A♣️ 3-bets to 0.98.
Cutoff folds.
Buttons folds.
SB (170bb) *calls*
BB folds.
UTG folds
Pot $1.46

Flop J♠️4♦️5♣️

SB checks.
Hero bets $0.86
SB Calls. (Quickly)
Pot $2.32

Turn 3❤️

Sb checks.
Hero bets $1.80.
SB insta Raises all in

Pot $13.90.

What do i do.....???

Now at the time i thought this was a good fold. But now looking back i think it's actually pretty close. I wont open up my thought process untill i get some feedback from you guys, but i have 1 or 2 hands i'm putting him on that beat me and i also have a few hands in mind that i think im way ahead of. Regardless, what do you think of this spot? Normally i'm quick to move on and put it out of my head but this is kind of irking me.

Cheers.

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you thought he had you beet with a 2 pair or better than you probably made a good choice in folding.

It just really went up with gut at the time I guess. However, I would not get so cought up in knowing in retrospect if it was a good move or not as the AA could have been beaten at that point.z

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah thats true, but it was just one of those spots that comes up once in a while and you think you maybe losing value over the long run. If you think about the hands he could have called pre like 44 55 67s 45s then he def has me crushed at that point. Unless he has slow played a big pair like JJ QQ KK but 99% sure he is always 4betting them hands. Don't think he has the abillity or skill level to slow play them hands pre and post flop by cold calling the 3 bet with them hands...well...with QQ KK at least. He could have had a hand like KJ and thought his hand was good and wanted to protect it by the turn once the board runs out a little wetter.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you fold AA what do you call with? People on this stakes can do weird and random stuff, and it maybe does not even have to be labeled as weird or bad for AA to be profitable call.You being here on this forum and discussing this hand is an answer by itself. You do not have the confidence to assign villains range with only nutted combos, therefore do not fold Top of you range.

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a very disciplined fold. I know a lot of people who just can't ever fold AA, no matter how much heat they're getting. Maybe he hit his set, maybe he just had KJ, but it's better to lose a small pot than a big one, right? I think he flopped a set, strung you along and then jammed when the board got wetter. Just my two cents.

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I do not like to play AA anymore, I lose them 75% of the time I fall in my hand

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of played it out just to see his hand. If I have a good hand I play i will normally play all the way threw and with pocket aces you know you had him before any cards were out unless he had aces also

W

WarEagle1266

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on who you're playing against. Him making a set is definitely possible, but if he plays a lot of hands, he could just have AJ, but don't think he would play that aggressively post flop with it. My best bet is he made a set.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opponent played quite passively, the really good players do not play that way. If players showed good impression, bluff or JJJ, Not a bad fold, but I would have given it.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it seems like a set more than anything else. Flops set snap calls your raise, definitely a set.

zviko

zviko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on who you're playing against, their habits and so on. Honestly its all about the way you play the hand, early or late position, raise or re-raise.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now at the time i thought this was a good fold. But now looking back i think it's actually pretty close. I wont open up my thought process untill i get some feedback from you guys, but i have 1 or 2 hands i'm putting him on that beat me and i also have a few hands in mind that i think im way ahead of. Regardless, what do you think of this spot? Normally i'm quick to move on and put it out of my head but this is kind of irking me.
In general, you've described Villain as snug. Though you also mentioned Villain would call off 3bets lightly. Villain, as described, would be surprising to stack off with anything less than a set. You didn't mention what your table image is... if you were perceived as tight it could have played into Villains decision to flat your 3bet.

What range of hands did you put Villain on pre-flop? Would he call a pre-flop 3bet with any Ax or only Ax suited? Any pair or only 99+? Any connectors or only 65+ suited? Would he 4bet with any pair or just QQ+?

This really is a tough spot, there are SO many combos of hands you beat, but also combos that beat you. The snap call on the flop seems strong. It sounds like you made the most responsible decision for your bankroll long term.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure how many hands you had with the villain but as described it may have been great fold, but at these stakes I am calling with that hand personally.

(I think) because every situation is different so who knows, the snap call he made may have changed my mind in the heat of the moment as well. But given the ranges I would put him on, I'd be comfortable calling that willing to take the risk.

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you fold AA what do you call with? People on this stakes can do weird and random stuff, and it maybe does not even have to be labeled as weird or bad for AA to be profitable call.You being here on this forum and discussing this hand is an answer by itself. You do not have the confidence to assign villains range with only nutted combos, therefore do not fold Top of you range.
Thank you for the feedback! I agree. People do wierd things at these stakes as you mentioned, i have played many hands at this level so know what to expect at times aslong as I'm paying close attention to the dynamics of the table and the players tendencies, i generally do just fine. That being said, these spots come up occasionally and it befuddles me, especially against those players that you have mixed feelings about when you see the odd but sometimes good plays.

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a very disciplined fold. I know a lot of people who just can't ever fold AA, no matter how much heat they're getting. Maybe he hit his set, maybe he just had KJ, but it's better to lose a small pot than a big one, right? I think he flopped a set, strung you along and then jammed when the board got wetter. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm leaning more towards your explanation aswell. Villain did show up with some good value hands earlier on, but i did notice he had a tendency to overvalue hands by betting for value in thin spots. Def was not thinking to much about ranges. The balance between those 2 tendencies was fine. This is why i i was stuck between the hyper-flux area of snap fold and snap call. In the end i ellected to turn it loose.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
folding seems reasonable in a single raised pot,Beluga theory seems to apply and i still think is a very good guide in the micros in today's games still.

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, you've described Villain as snug. Though you also mentioned Villain would call off 3bets lightly. Villain, as described, would be surprising to stack off with anything less than a set. You didn't mention what your table image is... if you were perceived as tight it could have played into Villains decision to flat your 3bet.

What range of hands did you put Villain on pre-flop? Would he call a pre-flop 3bet with any Ax or only Ax suited? Any pair or only 99+? Any connectors or only 65+ suited? Would he 4bet with any pair or just QQ+?

This really is a tough spot, there are SO many combos of hands you beat, but also combos that beat you. The snap call on the flop seems strong. It sounds like you made the most responsible decision for your bankroll long term.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, villain was playing quite solid for the most part but i would see him do some funky things at times also. I couldn't actually figure out if he was a good player or actually a bit of a donk. Sometimes, he would value bet in very thin spots and these bets were for value and I'm pretty certain he wasn't at a thinking level by turning these hands into bluffs. That being said, i did see him with some pretty strong hands also. His 3bet calling range def had suited connectors and pocket pairs in them. The hands i would see him with were kind of loose at times, but def playable hands. Nothing really fishy or trashy.
I'm guessing my image will have been Tag/Slag to him, but at the same time I'm not even sure he was taking to much notice of the way i was playing. I was playing pretty tight, but did go on a mini heater and won a few pots consecutively including doubling my stack,I suppose my image was a tad looser than the first 1 hour of being at the table. The range i assigned him at the time (mainly because i was 4-tabling and the site doesn't really have a long time bank) were all suited connectors 45+ 33 44 55 JJ and then i was giving him all combos of AJ & KJ + OJs. The hands i took out of his range were AA QQ KK TT JT all other pairs that hasn't made a set. Mainly because I didn't think he was good enough to smooth call with big overpairs and assigning me a range with the intention of stacking me on a low flop and would always 4bet them. This is why i was stuck in that HyperFlux area of snap call and snap fold. But in the end, i decided on the fold. Still, i think you could flip a coin on the decision to call or fold it feels like it was that close.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you should have called to find out what he was playing if it doesn't hurt your bankroll. You said he called a lot of raises you don't know what he might have had? Sometimes you have to pay to find out what players are playing. Looking at the situation I think it is a hard fold. He could be on a JT to AJ hand.

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding seems reasonable in a single raised pot,Beluga theory seems to apply and i still think is a very good guide in the micros in today's games still.
For sure! I don't fold AA very often especially at these limits but sometimes you just gotta follow your gut when you get the occasional bad feeling!

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it seems like a set more than anything else. Flops set snap calls your raise, definitely a set.
This is very possible! I have seen this alot of times where they will just call your bet on the flop with a set to diaguise there hand and then on the turn they will raise for Value/protection because they don't want to play the guessing game on the river if they face extreme agression.

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how many hands you had with the villain but as described it may have been great fold, but at these stakes I am calling with that hand personally.

(I think) because every situation is different so who knows, the snap call he made may have changed my mind in the heat of the moment as well. But given the ranges I would put him on, I'd be comfortable calling that willing to take the risk.
Yep. I think calling is perfectly fine also. It's 50/50 in my opinion but it's good to see the balance of the feedback. At least i feel I haven't made a huge mistake in this spot[emoji23]

T

Tricktappic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have called to find out what he was playing if it doesn't hurt your bankroll. You said he called a lot of raises you don't know what he might have had? Sometimes you have to pay to find out what players are playing. Looking at the situation I think it is a hard fold. He could be on a JT to AJ hand.
Generally I don't like to call just to see what he had when it's for all of your chips. My instincts are to make the most optimal decision at the time regardless of curiosity. But you are right! He could have def had a Jack like AJ etc

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have thought two pair or straight he maybe had A2 especially with the check then all in, trying to hand his strength to get more chips, as its on turn his hand was strong, id have folded that nothing wrong fold AA did it loads gotta stay in the game

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure! I don't fold AA very often especially at these limits but sometimes you just gotta follow your gut when you get the occasional bad feeling!

You need to remember AA is still only one pair.In the micros you can honestly fold vs every raise in a single raised pot and never worry about being exploited.And just value bet and you will beat the stakes very comfortably.Don't worry about being bluffed of the occasional pot by the regs (they usually have it anyway) just take the money from the recreational players.Just believe people more in the micro stakes,players are pretty honest.If they say they have you beat they usually do.These stakes aren't about making hero calls,there about making strong nutted hands if your playing for stacks.

Folding in Poker