Bad Cards

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering how you all have approached being dealt, what are to be considered bad cards, in a tournament with 8 people at the table.

Scenerio: At the table I was dealt very low cards 54o, 75o, 89o etc. but occasionally got a Q3o, K2o, nothing significant. I was as patient as I could be and played the BB, but i pretty much lost all my chips this evening with BB betting.

Any suggestions? Or is this just chalking it up to just a bad night and you can't win them all?? :)

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just wondering how you all have approached being dealt, what are to be considered bad cards, in a tournament with 8 people at the table.

Scenerio: At the table I was dealt very low cards 54o, 75o, 89o etc. but occasionally got a Q3o, K2o, nothing significant. I was as patient as I could be and played the BB, but i pretty much lost all my chips this evening with BB betting.

Any suggestions? Or is this just chalking it up to just a bad night and you can't win them all?? :)

(My Opinion is far from professional advice as you can get lol)

I'd be Patient, Look at the cards you fold against the board, obviously keep an eye on what your opponents are winning with...

Go with the flow...

If you feel that the flop history has plenty of low cards, maybe flush draws, or even likely to throw sets out then open your range to include what the flop history is showing...

This is probably bad advice as every poker player knows the RNG (Random Number Generator) should have no pattern to the cards distribution but just looking down through the cards history panel you can see quickly where lets say K 10 and 2's all appear more regularly than the rest and over a period of time you may have had thrown away combinations of any of those cards and missed a pot...

lol what am i saying lol please disregard every thing i said.... lol i'm going to put my aluminum foil hat back on and get on with my game... Shhhh lol

Seriously though its best to find a system that suits you...

a pro player would say , open up your range play as a LAG switching between a LAG and TAG style...

Its nice to remember at times, what you see on the board, Your opponents also have to try and make something from it too... One high card drops down and take note of those who were keeping up with the continuation betting and drop their stance...

Last edited:
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should continue being patient until you get just under 10BBs. That should be your cutoff. If you blind your way down to 10BB then you should be looking to shove with any decent hand because you want to either double-up quick or steal the blinds and ante's to survive another orbit.

Personally, I prefer to bet 50% preflop and 50% on the flop no matter what comes as that gives opponents a second chance to fold, but most people say you should just shove preflop to scare others out of the hand.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it was just a bad night.
It happens.

J

Jai_R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say bad night. Sometimes we get nothing, but don't let desperation get you caught up. Play your cards and play the table. If you can push on an aggressive than that may be your only option.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The cards of your opponents are as important as yours.
[emoji6]

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds a lot like poker to me.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definitely sounds like you had a "bad night". However, keep in mind that your cards are only 1 factor in deciding whether or not you play a hand. When you aren't getting great hands, you have to put more emphasis on the other factors:

- Your position
- Pre-flop action before you
- Which players are in the hand
- Players' style

I agree that you don't have to get desperate until approaching 10BB. However, I believe that's it's worth taking some risks before it comes to that point. If you are folding too many hands, then you should make some raises and c-bets with marginal hands when you are in LP. They are more likely to be successful since you are folding so much and the other players will have to give you credit for a very strong hand. It's very possible to have a very successful night even if you are getting dealt mediocre stating hands. Play the situation, not the cards !

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have no choice but to play the players and the position.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I have been looking into playing shady hole cards. The best way I think to go for it is look at the spot where the dealer button is when you hit a hand and you folded. Did you ever notice some pesky person that sits out in big blind seems to never get taken out. Well its the same for others when they are in position but the dealer button isn't in the big blind its in the middle somewhere. Well when its in that same position just gamble and go all-in. When tables can't change people anymore like final table this really holds to form.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you need to use connectors but preferably suited. I also sometimes see a flop with suited cards where K, Q, J are.

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definitely sounds like you had a "bad night". However, keep in mind that your cards are only 1 factor in deciding whether or not you play a hand. When you aren't getting great hands, you have to put more emphasis on the other factors:

- Your position
- Pre-flop action before you
- Which players are in the hand
- Players' style

I agree that you don't have to get desperate until approaching 10BB. However, I believe that's it's worth taking some risks before it comes to that point. If you are folding too many hands, then you should make some raises and c-bets with marginal hands when you are in LP. They are more likely to be successful since you are folding so much and the other players will have to give you credit for a very strong hand. It's very possible to have a very successful night even if you are getting dealt mediocre stating hands. Play the situation, not the cards !

I completely agree on playing "the situation", which is something I need to get stronger at.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It just seems like a bad night. You will lose more than you win, most of the time.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad night.

When you're starting to get low on chips and you've been tight all night though, your raises will get more respect and you could try some bluff... But bad cards stays bad cards unfortunately :(

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

“Poker is cool! One evening you can visit the top and bottom. It is important not good or good cards, it is important to be able to play with bad. This is not what your cards really are, but what your opponent thinks of them "

Bernard Werber, Empire of Angels

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me there are no bad cards, any hand is good if you know how to play it and it depends on the villains you face and the decisions you make, you just had a bad night but try to open your range

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Could be a bad night, but when card dead in position, you should play a bigger range. Obviously not every hand, but some that might have a little potential. Depending on your chip level you may have to shove if low stacked, but if you have chips, time to raise it up.

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest there are no bad cards(of course there are so exceptions) it really depends from position to position and with what people you're playing. I suggest you to start taking notes on players, labels & notes. Poker tracker will improve you're game-play as well. Maybe you had a bad night, because loosing every single BB is too bad.
Good luck in future wish you all the best!
Filip

POKERRANSOM

POKERRANSOM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First of all im no pro but i do finish in the money alot on micro stakes and my oppinion is you fold bad cards especially durin the begigging when the blinds are low because its just not worth playing low cards with low blinds and then you get trapped because u hit two pair but the did too but their top pair beats you. in the begging stick to High pairs AK AQ. If you do feel the need to open the range i would only do that on the button and maybe the cut off but i suggest raising always if doing this so u can get the least amount of callers and if the flop throws out and you hit with low cards then you probabley will be able to extract some money and if you dont hit remember to coutinuation bet just in case you were call by some one with rags

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all im no pro but i do finish in the money alot on micro stakes and my oppinion is you fold bad cards especially durin the begigging when the blinds are low because its just not worth playing low cards with low blinds and then you get trapped because u hit two pair but the did too but their top pair beats you. in the begging stick to High pairs AK AQ. If you do feel the need to open the range i would only do that on the button and maybe the cut off but i suggest raising always if doing this so u can get the least amount of callers and if the flop throws out and you hit with low cards then you probabley will be able to extract some money and if you dont hit remember to coutinuation bet just in case you were call by some one with rags

Well, to be honest that is exactly how I play (giggling), but the circumstances the evening I was speaking of didn't even throw me a AK AQ or even a anything remotely worth playing. I ended up play pocket 7s, thought i had it and got beaten by a higher pair than I. I do appreciate your advice. Thank you.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Be prepared, especially with online poker, to lose lose and lose again. If you stick to solid play strategy, eventually you might win something to make up for all of the losses.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think it is better to define a range of strong hands and play only with them, if it allows you, your position at the table. This way, it will be much easier for you to make decisions and avoid mistakes.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Even in a bad dealt wave play your best and be patient and cold to take good decisions.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As long as you keep the one chip and a chair winning mentality, anything is possible..