Bad Cards

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing with bad cards is one of my pleasures .. I love winning a hand with base cards especially against high cards, I remember playing a sportsbetting freeroll and beating the pocket rockets with 52o .. paying dearly for preflop and paying the cbet ... I had already connected 5 on the flop and I paid the turn .. I dropped 2 and sent a fast all-in. I love my hands like that.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to despair. After bad cards there will always be good ones. Well, if this situation lasts a long time then you need a bluff. You need to scare your opponent with big raises. Especially if everyone called before the flop.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no bad cards. should be able to play well any 2 cards if you think that there are conditions for it.

G

gaguilu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad day

It was a bad day, I continued, and in the long run it will have positive results.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a bad card always comes a good one. You will have to wait. If there is no card for a long time, then bluff or allin.

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering how you all have approached being dealt, what are to be considered bad cards, in a tournament with 8 people at the table.

Scenerio: At the table I was dealt very low cards 54o, 75o, 89o etc. but occasionally got a Q3o, K2o, nothing significant. I was as patient as I could be and played the BB, but i pretty much lost all my chips this evening with BB betting.

Any suggestions? Or is this just chalking it up to just a bad night and you can't win them all?? :)

When you get dealt "bad cards" think about which position you're in and if someone raises from let's say Middle position you could occasionally 3-bet and turn it into bluffs and just steal the pot. And who says 89 are bad cards love those two :D

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
From what i´ve seen on tournaments being freeroll or not the point is
as always the Flop
Thats what will make a good paly or no
Besides....the river is a killing card
Rgds

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just wondering how you all have approached being dealt, what are to be considered bad cards, in a tournament with 8 people at the table.
Scenerio: At the table I was dealt very low cards 54o, 75o, 89o etc. but occasionally got a Q3o, K2o, nothing significant. I was as patient as I could be and played the BB, but i pretty much lost all my chips this evening with BB betting.

Any suggestions? Or is this just chalking it up to just a bad night and you can't win them all?? :)

Sometimes you just get bad cards and it's not your night. As much as we want to, we can't win everytime we sit down to play, and sometimes perfect play won't even get us a W.

That being said understanding how to play the various stack sizes in tournaments and looking for good spots to make aggressive plays (where if you get don't get unlucky in that they have a calling hand.... or you get lucky and suckout anyway) is very helpful.

There is a point where it's better to shove any 2 cards than to wait for the blinds to eat you up. Bernard Lee talks about this in the satellite strategy section of Excelling at No Limit Hold'em

The better you know your opponents, and who is willing to call all-ins with mediocre hands, vs who will only call all ins with the nuts, is extremely helpful for this :)

Also here's a video about how you can find some of those key spots. Cheers!