Bad call or just bad luck?

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wasn't a bad call. However you did allow them into the pot for a discount. Without a decent amount of info on this player the only info you would have had would have been the healthy reraise. It's damn hard to lay down a monster pair anytime but not impossible.

P

pjr54

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't blame you for calling here, laying down kk the way the hand played was next to impossible.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol:) That was donk play from both parts. The best hand won. I wonder what would had happened if all the guys after you (you were ion midlle position) would had called that minraise. You and the donk with aces would had seen something magic. Another donk with 2 small pairs cought on flop or a small set would had took all your money. It happens that you kings can bump into aces but that happenes rarely. But it also happens that lots of times when you do not isolate your opponet , your KKs to be beat by the 72 from the BB who catches 72 on the flop.
I think the fact you KK bumped into AA do not deserve a big fuss, but the way you and your opponent played deserve a place in "what not to do" list .

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call and lose this one every time. I am probably a donkerton though.

Only exception would be if I'm on the bubble and the flop is semi scary.
I would never call with kings from middle position. I would reraise. Not reraising is inviting the villains after me to call with anything.

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just bad luck, but you should have tried to isolate the re-raising player before the flop, because more players could have joined the pot like people have already said. Unlucky for you but it happens!

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet pre, gleefully stack off and go broke on non A flops

S

sjaffe2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that is bad luck ... if you are laying down KKs, then it will be pretty tough to get to end stages of the tournament... There are no many donks online, you never know this guy might just play with seven deuce. I say you made the right play.

N

Neoblast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have reraised pleflop, to avoid any more limpers.
If you get reraised, shove.

There is only one hand that could beat you preflop, and some high chances an ace doesn't pop up if he holds only one in his hand.

Going all in in preflop with KK against one villain? Sure thing. Laying down kings... you'd get not much further if you have to wait for AA everytime you go all in.

AA and KK, and even QQ sometimes are the hands you should not lay down preflop against only one. Depending of course on your read of the opponents..

ajei

ajei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing a 2$ SnG stt tonight, early into the game i get delt KK think i was in mid position, one of the earlier players min raised preflop, folded around to me and i call, everyone else folds.
flop came up dead, he goes all in and i called, he was holding AA and they held.

Since it was so early in the game should i have just layed the KK down or was this just a bad beat? The game was still in the first level of blinds too by the way. I think his position was UTG +1 but i cant rem for sure. I really need to get some sort of tracking add on but dont want to pay for it lol.

I tried to get the hand history off of lock but its not up there for todays games yet(game was played on the 29th)
I would have re-raised pre-flop and go from there, if he 4 Bets i might start thinking he could have AA but still it a very very hard fold pre flop, specially in a low buy in tournament where you will see many people going all in with a wide range from mid pairs to Ax

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand like these are destined to be played for stacks.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with others a 3bet is mandatory if only to define your hand especially when you have no information on the other player. If he 4 bets then you have to consider he has AA, , but also AK, QQ, JJ etc..Based on his flop play, I suspect this player would 4 bet shove . Like others I'm going out with KK in this situation. As a number of CC members have pointed out, your call simply created the pot odds for others to call behind you. Actually, I'm surprised that the SB and/or the BB didn't join in the action. The BB, who could close the action, was getting 5 to 1 which justifies calling with any two cards.

Kanivision

Kanivision

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well that was a tough call not bad, i would of done the same, some of these donks go all in with 23 or something stupid and yes the usually win, so don't cut ur self up, just next time really think about the move u will make and hopefully its a good one.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm unsure as to why you call a min raise to start with?His shove was strange though as you can only call if you hold a monster hand (which he can't put you on) or if you hit the flop big time.

The guy is clearly bad, your call was ok though and I don't think you should ever be folding Kings early on in a $2.00 STT or any game for that matter. Even if you re-raise him pre flop and he shoves you, I think calling is always going to be +EV long term.
Just unlucky to run in to aces that's all.