At what point are you pot committed?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This lady bets half of her stack, so i figured she's committed, so i put her all in, she folds. Im flabbergasted. I flopped a full house with Aces on a flop A 5 5 and checked it on the flop and she checks back. On the turn, which was King, she bets 10k of 20k of her stack, so i figured she committed half her stack, so i put her all in, she then folds. This really pisses me off as i feel i owned myself since i feel that i shouldve just called and let her keep bluffing since i had no reason to be afraid of anything on the board. Just an assumption of thinking she was gonna call rest of her stack bcz i assume

Another situation, i literally betted 14.5k of 15k of my stack on the turn, both players called, on the river, i bet out remaining 500 chips into a pot that already has 60k, both players folded saying they missed their draws. Literally dont understand.

Im really scratching my head and trying to figure out if its a leak/flaw to assume theyre gonna call because theyre pot committed in my view or if theyre just terrible players. If someone bets or commits 50% or more of their stack, i thought they would be pot committed and will call off their stack. But im back here now trying to learn what is a definition of pot committed and at what point should i assume they will call my all in after betting what percentage of their stack?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
is PKR, non pro players play as they feel and sometimes go a little out of their range

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think your first mistake is assuming being pot commited only has to do with stack size or investment in the hand.... it also has to do with pot odds and what you think your chances of winning the hand are.... so yeah I think you played yourself. You had the fish on the hook and scared her out of the water. Let her catch up....

I would certainly not expect someone to call off with half a stack left to work with... but again that depends on stack sizes, size of blinds, etc. Some players will literally fold themselves right out of the tourney, some can't find the fold button to save their life lol

I think the habit of assuming other players would do what you would do is a good habit to break👍

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the habit of assuming other players would do what you would do is a good habit to break👍
This I need to learn to do. Assuming theyre gonna do shit bcz i would do it, huge flaw and learned it the hard way. Not being able to get rest of her stack, i can say costed me later in that tournament and ruined my chances of going deep. Needed extra chips to go further into the tournament.
I clearly even knew she was taking jabs at the pot and if i had called, she mightve thought i was weak and try to bluff me. This makes me feel like an idiot. Normally I would say i got owned if i got possibly bluffed, played right into villain and got stacked, but that hand makes me feel like i owned myself. Frustrating. I guess best to do is learn from it and move on.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
This lady bets half of her stack, so i figured she's committed, so i put her all in, she folds. Im flabbergasted. I flopped a full house with Aces on a flop A 5 5 and checked it on the flop and she checks back. On the turn, which was King, she bets 10k of 20k of her stack, so i figured she committed half her stack, so i put her all in, she then folds. This really pisses me off as i feel i owned myself since i feel that i shouldve just called and let her keep bluffing since i had no reason to be afraid of anything on the board. Just an assumption of thinking she was gonna call rest of her stack bcz i assume

Another situation, i literally betted 14.5k of 15k of my stack on the turn, both players called, on the river, i bet out remaining 500 chips into a pot that already has 60k, both players folded saying they missed their draws. Literally dont understand.

Im really scratching my head and trying to figure out if its a leak/flaw to assume theyre gonna call because theyre pot committed in my view or if theyre just terrible players. If someone bets or commits 50% or more of their stack, i thought they would be pot committed and will call off their stack. But im back here now trying to learn what is a definition of pot committed and at what point should i assume they will call my all in after betting what percentage of their stack?
Yes, you only took out of this what you had skill in, if you were sure of success you should have taken advantage and pinched more after them😃.
I have only one question in my head, hasn't anyone given up three fifths, given the opportunity to square off, as it is obvious that you are in control at the moment?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your first mistake is assuming being pot commited only has to do with stack size or investment in the hand.... it also has to do with pot odds and what you think your chances of winning the hand are.... so yeah I think you played yourself. You had the fish on the hook and scared her out of the water. Let her catch up....

I would certainly not expect someone to call off with half a stack left to work with... but again that depends on stack sizes, size of blinds, etc. Some players will literally fold themselves right out of the tourney, some can't find the fold button to save their life lol

Regarding pot odds, she was getting 5.4:1 to call off 10k. Pot had 24k in the pot. She betted 10k, which makes it 34k. I raised to 20k, which puts her all in. Pot became 54k. All she had to do was call 10k. This is what I meant by pot committed. She already forked up 2/3 of her stack into the pot. So i took it for granted that she will call. 5.4:1 is 16% equity or so.
But i believe my mistake was assuming just bcz she commited majority of her stack into the pot that she will call 16% equity easily. But if she was completely bluffing with air, equity dont matter but rather, i shouldve capitalized on her tendency to bluff and just check call and induce her to bluff instead of scaring her. Complete air bluffs can be folded regardless of equity if theyre caught and put to call off their stack.
Friend just showed me 2008 wsop final table. Demidov flopped set of Kings. Suharto reraised with AQo complete air on a board K97 to demidov's cbet. Suharto committed 11 mil of 16 mil of his stack and then folded.
Of course, situation is different. Demidov cant let suharto get a free card, opposed to me who could afford to let her get free card. But i didnt know people can commit 70% of their stack overall in the hand and then fold even when there are turn or river cards to come.