Ask Evan Jarvis Anything About Learning Poker!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan I would like some tips, what should I do to think like professional players and what should I study to evolve my game?

Hi there,

here are a couple of great free videos to start with

After that, for free material pretty much anything on my youtube channel is a great place to start and talking to people in the forums will be great too.

I also have a 30 day training program you can get on my site for free http://gripsed.com/pgms

When you are ready to take your game more seriously, check out a full on training site like pokercoaching. They're got lots of different instructors and hundreds of hours of content.

Just pace yourself, go slow, and put in the amount of time a week that leaves you feeling smarter, wiser, and definitely not tired :)

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

here are a couple of great free videos to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05uVn1s3BrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKIQL_g4IsQ

After that, for free material pretty much anything on my youtube channel is a great place to start and talking to people in the forums will be great too.

I also have a 30 day training program you can get on my site for free http://gripsed.com/pgms

Evan Jarvis
When you are ready to take your game more seriously, check out a full on training site like pokercoaching. They're got lots of different instructors and hundreds of hours of content.

Just pace yourself, go slow, and put in the amount of time a week that leaves you feeling smarter, wiser, and definitely not tired :)

Evan Jarvis
Thank you very much for the tips that were of great value I liked the videos great content!
I hope to absorb everything I saw for my game and continue with studies thank you again.
Luck at the tables and in Life!!!

Last edited:
H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks. I read some good info and definitely gonna check the sites out. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks. I read some good info and definitely gonna check the sites out. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

Thank You! Good luck to you too my friend!

P

porkchop1955

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting Hands for 9 player Table

Are the starting hand ranges you might play for a 6-person table the same as for a 9-person table? Because, in my limited experience it seems like a 6-person table is faster, and you see more blinds, so you have to play a wider range of hands. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Last edited:
Y

YoloASAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Evan,

I consider myself a Semi-Pro. I am always looking to better my game though. I will definitely be looking over your videos, checking out your site, Youtube, all of that. I do appreciate you posting and sharing your knowledge of the game with all of us. I have never even considered talking with a poker coach, but I think after studying a lot, and reading different reasons people approach coaches, I wouldn't be completely turned off to the idea of consulting a coach in the future. Even if I do just to go over some strategy, and some hands potentially. Anyways, you might get a PM from me in the near future. Good luck, on and off the tables sir.

Sincerely,
:jd4:ason

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man thanks for doing this! It isn't easy answering a ton of questions even when you are an expert on the subject,

My question is this, what percentage of time would you devote to learning poker? Like 10% video's, 20% reading and 70% playing?

I ask because there I am getting back into playing after taking quite some time off and while I have limited time, I still need to get my hand count in and I was wondering should of focus on game time when study when time allows just split it straight out.

Thanks again!

N

nicolaskcs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how to play in a tournament where someone has always moved in from the beginning ?.:confused:

P

PatrickAllen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Evan,

Was wondering if you could help me handle how to play draws? Both when I hit them and am getting barreled and when I hit a the nuts but theres a draw on the board.

Always a good money burner chasing until the river but is it fine to just let it go in some cases?

And when I have my opponent on a draw, should i be overbetting to get him out?

fredastar777

fredastar777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what do you do when playing poker? maybe watching film or somethink? because l used to play only 1 game at the same time... its borring

S

shigiharaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AKo (you) in tournament with 9 people on table.... in mid table someone go all in with more chips than you.... you call or fold? If win 2x more chips or lose everything.

Y

YoloASAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what do you do when playing poker? maybe watching film or somethink? because l used to play only 1 game at the same time... its borring

I know you are probably directing this question at Evan, but I figured I could give you an opinion as well.

When playing online poker, I would suggest NOT watching TV, or movies, etc... Poker is often a game of patience. I would suggest watching the table when playing in a serious game or tournament. You can watch how the other opponents are playing when you fold, and pick up tells, or different patterns they have. I often play Multi-Tables also, so there's always action going, no reason for me to be bored. If you continue to play poker and get bored, maybe the game isn't for you? Anyways, I hope this might help a little. Goodluck on and off the tables.

Good Luck,

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you are probably directing this question at Evan, but I figured I could give you an opinion as well.

When playing online poker, I would suggest NOT watching TV, or movies, etc... Poker is often a game of patience. I would suggest watching the table when playing in a serious game or tournament. You can watch how the other opponents are playing when you fold, and pick up tells, or different patterns they have. I often play Multi-Tables also, so there's always action going, no reason for me to be bored. If you continue to play poker and get bored, maybe the game isn't for you? Anyways, I hope this might help a little. Goodluck on and off the tables.

Good Luck,

Great Advice!

Everything Jason said here is true and I wholeheartedly agree!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AKo (you) in tournament with 9 people on table.... in mid table someone go all in with more chips than you.... you call or fold? If win 2x more chips or lose everything.

I'm probably calling, unless it's some extreme satellite situation

No gamble no future my friend and Ace King is a MONSTER in this game :five:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I watch the table, I look up my opponents on sharkscope, I track them with a headsup display and I aim to watch every showdown so I can have additional information on my opponents and how they play.

I keep myself busy by making player notes and keeping myself in the action.

I understand the boredom, and this can happen if the stakes are too small or the action is too slow. Consider playing a limit higher, or playing 6 handed instead of 9 handed or adding another table, this will certainly get you more engaged in the game

That said, if you are playing a multi table tournament and the early stages don't excited you, I understand watching a movie or something on the side until you get deeper and the money is more meaningful. This is something I have done in the past but not often as it's not good for my bottom line.

Lastly... if you just don't find excitement in the game, then there's no harm in not playing. It's not for everyone afterall! :girlshit:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how to play in a tournament where someone has always moved in from the beginning ?.:confused:

Try Calling with AJo+, ATs+, 77+ and folding everything else

Just because someone's in doesn't mean you have to play, you can fold and wait for the next hand, it's really no big deal :p

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan,

Was wondering if you could help me handle how to play draws? Both when I hit them and am getting barreled and when I hit a the nuts but theres a draw on the board.

Always a good money burner chasing until the river but is it fine to just let it go in some cases?

And when I have my opponent on a draw, should i be overbetting to get him out?

Hey Patrick,

This is very situational so I can't give you an EXACT answer, but I can share some tips.

When you are not getting the right odds it's always fine to fold (just don't forget to consider your implied odds if you hit, which are also ALWAYS HIGHER WHEN YOU HAVE POSITION, and as always, position is a critical consideration.)

When you think your opponent has a draw you only need to bet so much that he's not getting the right price, unless they have a 15 out draw then overbetting is often unnecessary. Your goal is to see them make a call with incorrect odds and overbetting will often just scare them out completely, not affording them the chance to make that mistake.

Also when you have draws but you think your opponent is only mid strength don't be afraid to play them aggressively as a semi bluff. It's not always about trying to hit your draw, it can often be about pressuring your opponent when they have a lot of mediocre hands and having the equity of your draw as a backup for the rare times they do call you.

The selection section of this video will help a fair bit

And know that I have folded TONS of flush draws and straight draws on the turn when the price isn't right, be very selective of the hands you play on with on the turn (and whether you play them passively or aggressively) because that's when things start to get expensive.

Hope that helps!
:wavey:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey man thanks for doing this! It isn't easy answering a ton of questions even when you are an expert on the subject,

My question is this, what percentage of time would you devote to learning poker? Like 10% video's, 20% reading and 70% playing?

I ask because there I am getting back into playing after taking quite some time off and while I have limited time, I still need to get my hand count in and I was wondering should of focus on game time when study when time allows just split it straight out.

Thanks again!

Hey Bas, great question!

It depends on the type of person and the way they learn best.
A few things to consider when making the decision.

1) Reasons for playing (fun, profit, professional, competition)
2) Best learning method (listening, watching, reading, playing, crunching numbers)
3) Total time available for poker in general

It's really up to you, and I noticed you said you 'need to get your hand count in' and I would offer that you don't 'need' to do anything at all. Whoever convinced you some minimum number of hands is required to improve, well... they may or may not be right.

I switch it up depending on what kind of flow I'm in.
For most of last year all I did was study, I would play 1 session a month, sometimes 1 session every 3 months and I did well because I was studying lots of theory.

Now that I'm studying in school however, I don't want to do more studying, so I just practice poker and casually watch broadcasts in TV which keep me in a poker mindset.

When I started out I read every book I could, and also watched at least 1 hour of videos a day before playing for 2-3 hours. That was when I was full time and just starting out tho.

What I would do in your spot is experiment with what FEELS good, what are you ENJOYING, and go with that method. You'll learn a lot faster if you're having a good time while you're doing it rather than feeling forced to hit some minimum hand and study time target that's just a construct of your mind.

Also know that the plan can constantly change so to give fixed numbers doesn't really serve you all that well in the long run. The main thing is you put in time that you feel good about and that doesn't stress you out. If you feel like you're playing catchup or having to do 4 things at once it's going to be stressful and not fun.

Find the studying style you like (if any), find the games you like (and play them), and ensure that the priorities in your life don't get disrupted because of poker. As long as you keep your priorities straight and invest the time that feels right into poker you'll get back to a level you feel good about. And if you want to up the play and study time after, by all means go ahead.

Just keep checking in week to week about how you feel and make adjustments based on that!

Note: When I haven't played in a while I tend to study to play 80/20, and once I get back into a good play routine i flip it to play 90 / study 10. But I can often be bouncing in between. :rock:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are the starting hand ranges you might play for a 6-person table the same as for a 9-person table? Because, in my limited experience it seems like a 6-person table is faster, and you see more blinds, so you have to play a wider range of hands. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

When playing 6 handed you take the 9 handed chart and pretend the first 3 seats have folded.

The opening ranges for the button/cutoff/hijack/lowjack (late position seats) are the same on a short table as they are on a full table.

The only difference is when there are antes there is a bit more dead money on a 9 handed table so you'd actually play looser from late position than you would on a 6 handed table. Although if it's big blind ante style then the reverse is true, so it's all about ante size.

In 6 handed you tend to have to defend your blinds more than in 9 handed (because facing late position wide ranges more often) so in that way you end up playing some more hands, but in terms of just opening, nope, it's pretty much identical.

:tomato:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan,

I consider myself a Semi-Pro. I am always looking to better my game though. I will definitely be looking over your videos, checking out your site, Youtube, all of that. I do appreciate you posting and sharing your knowledge of the game with all of us. I have never even considered talking with a poker coach, but I think after studying a lot, and reading different reasons people approach coaches, I wouldn't be completely turned off to the idea of consulting a coach in the future. Even if I do just to go over some strategy, and some hands potentially. Anyways, you might get a PM from me in the near future. Good luck, on and off the tables sir.

Sincerely,

Sounds good J, Good luck & Happy stackin on the tables brother! :2in1:

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, cash 1/2

First hand hijack

AK s,

$5 straddle
2 callers
Starting stack 100
I go 25
1 caller
Flop J 2 5 rainbow
Villain checks
All I in...

Villain J2 off ?

Your theory is fine. But ....

P

porkchop1955

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing 6 handed you take the 9 handed chart and pretend the first 3 seats have folded.

The opening ranges for the button/cutoff/hijack/lowjack (late position seats) are the same on a short table as they are on a full table.

The only difference is when there are antes there is a bit more dead money on a 9 handed table so you'd actually play looser from late position than you would on a 6 handed table. Although if it's big blind ante style then the reverse is true, so it's all about ante size.

In 6 handed you tend to have to defend your blinds more than in 9 handed (because facing late position wide ranges more often) so in that way you end up playing some more hands, but in terms of just opening, nope, it's pretty much identical.

This makes sense, thank you. Also, thank you for doing this. I'm sure there are other things you could do with your weekend. :)

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
thanks for sharing!

did not know about you, I will be checking your videos later! been looking for new poker content and lessons for a while!

hope it's worth it!

gl gl

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...feeling forced to hit some minimum hand...

Hey Evan,

Great reply you answered by question perfectly.

Just to clarify, perhaps I should of been clearer, by hands I meant I haven't got into the groove where I feel comfortable putting into practice some of the dynamics I have learned since rejoining the game in December.

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

I have 250 bucks saved and I'm looking to play in a cash game of 1 dollar/2 dollars, min buy in is 50 bucks, max is 250. So, I'm looking to invest all my money.
do you think 250 is enough or do I need more in order to avoid risk of ruin?