Ask Evan Jarvis Anything About Learning Poker!

jybhoy

jybhoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Massive thanks to Evan !!! Files received

Evan , I received some .ZIP files containing what appears to be a humongous amount of co ntent for me to get busy. This de-railed me from the CC 30 day course for a few days but wow ! You did say it would keep me busy for a few months !! I concur that sentiment now.
Thanks very much Evan.

p.s. I could only unzip three of the four and will need to keep trying or if you can register with ShareFile ? I think that's what it's called.

Many thanks again Evan.

jybhoy

B

bixbixbix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your time and insights. That's very helpful.
By the time you replied, someone else had told me to try 0.25NL.
I am doing OK with a bit more than 70,000 hands, +3.2bb/100 hands winrate. Hopefully, I will be able to maintain or improve this winrate over the next couple of months and try to climb to 0.50NL.

I will definitely go for online coaching pretty soon.
I saw you promote gripsed . com ? What's the difference with pokercoaching . com?

I wouldn't worry about the 'professional' part of poker, if I were in your shoes I would just look for games where I will enjoy myself
---> OK, but I don't want to become an ATM for poker pros :)

Hey Bix!

Great question and congratulations on your good fortune in life!
You have the right mindset my friend, and will do just fine in this game.

The most important thing is learning and practicing good habits while feeling engaged.
I think that a sweet spot for doing this in your shoes would be 0.50nl. The swings will not be crazy at $50 stacks, and your opponents will certainly be taking the game seriously which is the important thing.

As long as you are studying while playing you'll start to see when you are far and above the best player on the table, and when this happens you can move up to the next limit.

The best deal on training right now is one we just launched in partnership with Jonathan Little, you can check it out here [] (It's an infinite supply of poker training content, covering cash, mtts, and the mental game :))

As you find your game coming together, no, there is no need to progressively beat each limit. As long as you are in the top 50% of the players on the table (and ideally top 25% or 10%) you will have a positive expectation, and an enjoyable experience. This may allow you to move up quickly, the key is to be honest with yourself about your skill relattive to the rest of the table.

I also think of online mainly as a training ground, it's a great place to get lots of reps in and get your game solid. Once you have that you can easily go crush live games and play at 5-10x the limits you were playing online and still feel comfortable and confident.

If your financial situation is such that you are set for life, I wouldn't worry about the 'professional' part of poker, if I were in your shoes I would just look for games where I will enjoy myself, probably win more than I lose and get to satisfy my competitive outlet.

As long as you aren't putting yourself in a position to experience severe financial of emotional hardships you'll be fine. Playing reasonable stakes is how to cover the financial risk, and studying consistently so you feel confident is the way to cover the emotional.

I think with the right intention you'll be just fine. Study up, go live your dream, and have fun on the tables. If you ever feel like you need more assistance feel free to reach out to book a one on one session. I love to help!

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Remember that tournament poker is much more dynamic than cash, and that focusing on the stack sizes, play tendencies, and average buyin levels of your opponents will help you proper adjust your opening ranges (tighter or looser) much more effectively than rigidly following charts will.
I wanted to post how hard of a worker bee I noticed you are. Just responding to posts is a time consuming endeavor ..some are quite lengthy and your advice is quality laden...good enough to take to the bank if followed appropriately.;)

K

Kush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Evan, thank you for everything you've done for the poker community.

I've consumed all of your free content on YouTube obsessively and have recently started destroying MTTs online. I'm up over $1200 in the last 3 weeks playing $11 small field tourneys. I cannot thank you enough for the immense amount of info on your channel. Now that I found this thread I'm gonna have to go back and read everything.

I absolutely love your outlook on life and your thoughts on the mental aspects of poker. I remember you answering the question of dealing with tilt on a webinar and saying that you just bring yourself back to a state of gratitude. That really stuck with me.

No question at this time, just wanted to thank you. Keep up the good work.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I am truly interested about this poker class, but my english is not good enough to understand 100%. I don't know if the cardschat app don't have a translation option to my language (portuguese) or if I didn't find it.
Well, my question is:
is it possible to translate the content posted on the Cardschat app, and or translation by subtitles on YouTube?

This is certainly possible but we would have to find someone for the job.

I believe the brazilian community has a lot of great content in Portuguese which will get you on the right track. I would recommend you check out http://zerospoker.com from what I understand he's a great player and a great teacher as well.

Hope that helps!!! :nurse:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament how important is it to be at least average stack size. When I fall below average I tend to panic and usually shove, even though I know I have more time.

QUOTE=Evan Jarvis;5232327]Hey Cardschatters!

I have been teaching playing poker for over 15 years and teaching it for 10 on my youtube channel. I absolutely love teaching poker and helping players improve their game.

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to have a question which you can't get the answer to and how much it can drive a mind nuts. So I'm here to offer my experience and services to help put your busy mind at rest and help you build confidence in your self and your poker game.

Over the past 5 years I have made 100 Q+A videos in https://www.youtube.com/user/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=18

If you've got a question that hasn't already been made into a video please post it here and I will give you a written response, and if you're lucky I might even make a video on it too!

Looking forward to being of service and helping you reach your goals in poker, be it to be the best player in the room, or simply to have more fun with your friends.

Let's Get Stackin!
[/QUOTE]

Great question Bat, I've definitely suffered from this feeling before of pressure.

What's more important than the average stack in a tournament is how many big blinds you have, and playing your stack size appropriately.

Truthfully, as long as you have over 5-6 big blinds you have some amount of fold equity (And that's the key to survival in MTTs).

When you have under 12 big blinds you will be doing a lot of open shoving, but you need not worry as you approach this zone, the important thing to know is what hands to move all in with and from which positions when you are on this stack size.

To learn a ton of this check out my mtt guide which you can get for free here - http://mastertournamentpoker.com

Many players freak out and shove too early. In live tournaments they often start shoving when they have less than 1/2 of the starting stack (because they feel like they need to double up just to 'get even' or 'get back to where they started') and online people get worried if they have less than average stack.

Once you understand how to play the stack sizes and realize that you can be the short stack for the entire tournament and still final table (and even win) if you don't give your chips away it becomes much easier to hold onto them.

I appreciate you asking this question and can assure you it's a very common challenge for newer MTT players, but one that you can also quickly overcome as you become comfortable playing a short stack and patiently waiting for the right spots to make your move!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,

Got a question for you - how would you in general suggest to play with suited hands like K2-KT, Q2-Q9, J2-J8?

cheers

Hey there,

I'd need a bit more information to be able to give you an accurate answer.

When it comes to being the first person in the pot, I'll play these hands if I'm very likely to have position for the hand (so I will raise them from late position but fold them from early position).

When I am facing a raise, I'm usually folding the weak suited hands and only playing the best suited hands JTs-KTs and of course Axs as well. (The deeper my stack is the happier I am to call a raise with Ax and Kx suited because I can win a lot of chips from my opponent when I make a bigger flush).

When I am facing a raise AND a call (or multiple) I am even more cautious. These hands are mediocre and don't have great implied odds (more on that in the video below) and so I don't tend to play them that much.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVQGobSCQY&t=1240s[/ame]

When I am in the blinds I will defend vs a 2x or 2.5x raise because the pot odds are very good. If I flop top pair or a flush draw I will tend to continue but otherwise I will usually fold to a single bet after the flop.

I'm ok with calling one bet with a marginal pair or draw, but not multiple bets. Big pots are for big hands, and most of the time these starting cards do not make big hands.

Hope that helps!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would you say is the best strategy for someone basically just someone starting out. I got lucky in a tourney. I just want to be succesful at poker. Thanks

Study the right material, play within your bankroll, and practice regularly as you learn

This is a great playlist to start with: http://gripsed.com/win

And if you'd like some free e-books to supplement that learning check these out!

For MTT - http://mastertournamentpoker.com

For Cash - http://mastercashgamepoker.com

You made a good decision to not just keep blasting away at high stakes tournaments. Protect your bankroll (maybe even cash some out) and practice at small limits until you really feel like you know how to crush the game (as opposed to just getting lucky!) :icon_thum

Thanks for the honesty and for asking a great question!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello I am pretty new to wanting to play poker at a higher level just want to know where I should start out at if you have any recommendations for that and the route I should take to progress from starting basically from a complete novice

You picked the right place Travis!

Read the post just about this one and that will be your gateway to becoming a winner in this game!

If you have 10-20 hours to invest into studying over the next couple of months I can definitely help you get on the winning path!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan, thank you for everything you've done for the poker community.

I've consumed all of your free content on YouTube obsessively and have recently started destroying MTTs online. I'm up over $1200 in the last 3 weeks playing $11 small field tourneys. I cannot thank you enough for the immense amount of info on your channel. Now that I found this thread I'm gonna have to go back and read everything.

I absolutely love your outlook on life and your thoughts on the mental aspects of poker. I remember you answering the question of dealing with tilt on a webinar and saying that you just bring yourself back to a state of gratitude. That really stuck with me.

No question at this time, just wanted to thank you. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for sharing this with me Kush! Feedback like this really makes my day :)

Glad to hear you're crushing the tournaments now and that your hard work is paying off. Also happy to let you know that I'm uploading about 3 Hours of MTT Webinars over the next few days, hope there will be some gems in there for you as you keep cashing in on that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :cool:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to post how hard of a worker bee I noticed you are. Just responding to posts is a time consuming endeavor ..some are quite lengthy and your advice is quality laden...good enough to take to the bank if followed appropriately.;)

Thanks Polytarp! ;)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your time and insights. That's very helpful.
By the time you replied, someone else had told me to try 0.25NL.
I am doing OK with a bit more than 70,000 hands, +3.2bb/100 hands winrate. Hopefully, I will be able to maintain or improve this winrate over the next couple of months and try to climb to 0.50NL.

I will definitely go for online coaching pretty soon.
I saw you promote gripsed . com ? What's the difference with pokercoaching . com?

---> OK, but I don't want to become an ATM for poker pros :)

They are 2 completely different sites.

I work for pokercoaching as an instructor and do weekly hand quizzes as well as webinars every 3 months.

I OWN Gripsed.com and have been making training videos there since 2008 (that's how pokercoaching found me). At Gripsed I focus a lot more on How to "BE" a winning poker player rather than just How to win at poker.

Gripsed is more comprehensive, and focused on helping you become the best player you can be so that you can feel more confident, make more money, and live a happier life.

Pokercoaching is purely about strategy to use on the table (which is what a lot of people want) but I find when people get into the mindset training I offer with Gripsed it leads to a complete transformation and much more lasting results!

Thanks for asking :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan , I received some .ZIP files containing what appears to be a humongous amount of co ntent for me to get busy. This de-railed me from the CC 30 day course for a few days but wow ! You did say it would keep me busy for a few months !! I concur that sentiment now.
Thanks very much Evan.

p.s. I could only unzip three of the four and will need to keep trying or if you can register with ShareFile ? I think that's what it's called.

Many thanks again Evan.

jybhoy

Hey jybhoy

For any tech issues, always email contact@gripsed.com

They are my geek squad who know how to fix these things.

I'm a mere poker and life coach who isn't all the pro when it comes to techy stuff :eek:

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check

Not sure why you done just check in these situation. Then when it comes around again you have a better idea of what’s going on.
Hey there,

When it comes to being the first person in the pot, I'll play these hands if I'm very likely to have position for the hand (so I will raise them from late position but fold them from early position).

When I am facing a raise, I'm usually folding the weak suited hands and only playing the best suited hands JTs-KTs and of course Axs as well. (The deeper my stack is the happier I am to call a raise with Ax and Kx suited because I can win a lot of chips from my opponent when I make a bigger flush).

When I am facing a raise AND a call (or multiple) I am even more cautious. These hands are mediocre and don't have great implied odds (more on that in the video below) and so I don't tend to play them that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVQGobSCQY&t=1240s

When I am in the blinds I will defend vs a 2x or 2.5x raise because the pot odds are very good. If I flop top pair or a flush draw I will tend to continue but otherwise I will usually fold to a single bet after the flop.

I'm ok with calling one bet with a marginal pair or draw, but not multiple bets. Big pots are for big hands, and most of the time these starting cards do not make big hands.

Hope that helps!

C

Chicungulla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's okay to play occasionally tournaments example deposited $ 20 and I play 2 tournaments of $ 10 eye play once a week

T

TravisGondo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You picked the right place Travis!

Read the post just about this one and that will be your gateway to becoming a winner in this game!

If you have 10-20 hours to invest into studying over the next couple of months I can definitely help you get on the winning path!

I have 10-20 hours a week to study so whatever you think I should do with that time I will start implementing

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan I don't really have a question ( I have thousands of questions LOL)

I just wanted to give you a shoutout!!! The gripsed twitch stream, the youtube videos Have been a lot of fun and really informative,

To top it off the Millionaire series you ran, offering an immense value for a $6.60 ticket was such an awesome opportunity thank you for doing that! It was a lot of fun to be able to play for such a huge prize, at such as small price, Heck I was even able to cash in a couple of venom tickets to play a couple times!!!

Watching your stream and interacting with the Gripsed community helped to infuse a lot of fun as well as focus toward my game - I know am not alone when I say thanks very much and look forward to opening the steam, your running right now! Best of luck in the Venom !!!

G

goforthenick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Evan;

Thanks for the stream and for all the support you give your followers. My questions stems from last nights Rounders game. When Zuesjuice min raised my thought was PP or perhaps A? so I thought I might be behind and need help but I decided to shove, he called and turned over AA. I knew gyndok would likely be next out but that 1 more needed to bust before I was ITM. I was in good position behind Allrise but with under 10 BB my goal was not just that ITM thing but to win. Looking back, perhaps I overplayed my hand as the button was mine next and I did have time before my next BB came. What do you think ?

Attachments

• RoundersCapture.jpg
    RoundersCapture.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 26
D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVQGobSCQY&t=1240s

Hope that helps!

Hi Evan,

As always, great answer, thank you very much! I saw you want to suggest to Travisgondo a way to improve his poker skills, I would love to hear about this advice as well - of course, I would find a way to spend 10-20 hours to improve my skills :):D

Cheers

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan,
Fun hg last night, but too bad it ended too soon (cancelled by ACR). Oh well, I'll come back and fight another day :)
Just wanted to say congratulations on all the great submissions! I listened to some of the stream on Saturday - pretty awe inspiring stuff!!! All the love and good karma flowing to you is very well deserved. I knew you were a genius teacher with a talent for inspiring people to play their best poker, while creating a supportive and fun community of Gripsters (which I'm honored to be a part of), but I didn't know how many peoples lives you changed in such a positive way. Wow! Pretty incredible stuff!
I chose "How to Chip-Up in Poker tournaments with bad cards" for my fav (although they are all great), but I didn't hear my submission on the stream. Maybe I missed it? Totally possible, as I was multi tasking at the time. My computer was a little glitchy when I did my review, so now I'm thinking maybe it didn't go through? Didn't expect to win, I don't have a great story (yet :)), but just wanted to show my support, so hope you got it! :) Keep doing what you are doing. You are amazing!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's okay to play occasionally tournaments example deposited $ 20 and I play 2 tournaments of $ 10 eye play once a week

Yep, that's completely fine.

So long as you have the ability to reload your account there's no reason you have to follow the typical 100 buyin bankroll management.

Play the level that you can afford and that sees you having the most fun!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan I don't really have a question ( I have thousands of questions LOL)

I just wanted to give you a shoutout!!! The gripsed twitch stream, the youtube videos Have been a lot of fun and really informative,

To top it off the Millionaire series you ran, offering an immense value for a $6.60 ticket was such an awesome opportunity thank you for doing that! It was a lot of fun to be able to play for such a huge prize, at such as small price, Heck I was even able to cash in a couple of venom tickets to play a couple times!!!

Watching your stream and interacting with the Gripsed community helped to infuse a lot of fun as well as focus toward my game - I know am not alone when I say thanks very much and look forward to opening the steam, your running right now! Best of luck in the Venom !!!

Thanks so much for the kind words AceMeNow!

I was nervous about running the WWTBAM series with the big guaranteed prize pool, but fortunately there was a ton of interest in it and we had a fantastic series. Thank you for being a part of that!!!

I'm so glad to hear you enjoy the vibe of the stream so much, it's comments like that which make me excited to continue on this path and to be as consistent as I can.

Super excited about the Venom next weekend and the wsop which is live now. Already made a day 2 and can't wait to play for a bracelet on-line ON STREAM this summer!

Let's get stackin brother!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan,
Fun hg last night, but too bad it ended too soon (cancelled by ACR). Oh well, I'll come back and fight another day :)
Just wanted to say congratulations on all the great submissions! I listened to some of the stream on Saturday - pretty awe inspiring stuff!!! All the love and good karma flowing to you is very well deserved. I knew you were a genius teacher with a talent for inspiring people to play their best poker, while creating a supportive and fun community of Gripsters (which I'm honored to be a part of), but I didn't know how many peoples lives you changed in such a positive way. Wow! Pretty incredible stuff!
I chose "How to Chip-Up in Poker tournaments with bad cards" for my fav (although they are all great), but I didn't hear my submission on the stream. Maybe I missed it? Totally possible, as I was multi tasking at the time. My computer was a little glitchy when I did my review, so now I'm thinking maybe it didn't go through? Didn't expect to win, I don't have a great story (yet :)), but just wanted to show my support, so hope you got it! :) Keep doing what you are doing. You are amazing!

Thank you SO MUCH Amanda!

Wow.. these are some of the nicest words I've ever heard.

It was truly a wonderful experience to read those submissions, about 150 of them altogether and a few of them almost brought me to tears. So much goodness and positivity in the community.

I was sad too about the game getting cancelled, but hey! We've got the next one tomorrow night, and now I have a 6pm homegame on rounder every saturday for $1 as well so there's plenty of time to play.

I think yours came thru, but just didn't reach the finals. Thank you so much for participating in the wildcard competition, if I'm being completely honest, that part alone was more fun than the rest of who wants to be a millionare, because it gave me a chance to really get to know the community even better and hear their stories.

Excited for what's to come next!
Let's keep stackin :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan;

Thanks for the stream and for all the support you give your followers. My questions stems from last nights Rounders game. When Zuesjuice min raised my thought was PP or perhaps A? so I thought I might be behind and need help but I decided to shove, he called and turned over AA. I knew gyndok would likely be next out but that 1 more needed to bust before I was ITM. I was in good position behind Allrise but with under 10 BB my goal was not just that ITM thing but to win. Looking back, perhaps I overplayed my hand as the button was mine next and I did have time before my next BB came. What do you think ?

Totally standard spot, just unlucky to run into AA there.

I would make the same play with AQ if I had been in your spot!

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Evan! I would like to know how professional players do to keep track of all the variables that must be considered when playing a difficult hand. Outs and percentages ... for example