The Art of the Check-Raise (Day 27 Course Discussion)

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 27...3 to go

After watching this lesson I can definitely say that Check-Raising is an art :). The moment we learn how to profitably check-raise then we became a long term profitable poker player. I really enjoy when this two established poker players make a video together, it's really entertaining and educational to watch.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's wonderfull when you both explain something, it makes it really entertianing, and easy to get. I'm alwys afraid to check raise draws, as I could miss, but taking into account the fold equity it makes sense, as villain would c-bet a lot of time. When I have I made hand, usually I just c-bet or sometimes donk bet when it's top pair but under 9, so I don't risk going from check/raise to check/fold on turn when a Q appears. I 'll try to implement check raising once I get better on reading ranges.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This should be called the QJs lesson which together with JTs is one of my new two favorite starting hands.

Interesting that Collin and Katie talked about how Katie check-raises more than Collin. I've noticed that some players check-raise a lot and others rarely do it.

My new favorite quote "You want to be obnoxious to play against" - thanks Katie!

The examples in the lesson were great.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 27

Thank you for this important lesson.

Today I learned a new technique which is the check-raise that can be used when we have correct equity and especially when the villain has a good bet-fold ratio.

The quiz answer:

In the spot we have open ended straight draw + backdoor flush + the possibility of hitting Q or J so the best solution to take is shove with a remaining stack of 1370.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Tool that I used very few times and that was always lacking in my game, thanks to this wonderful class, not only is it reality, at this point in the course the themes are already merging, many things are making more sense, complementing each other, so thanks to this and the lesson about valuing drawns and playing them aggressively, the check raise not only makes it possible to transform the equity of wherever it is into 100%, with the possibility of folding, but also increases the pot, which allows us to win even more chips when we hit our drawings, I will certainly attend this class more often, not only it, many others here, allow us to analyze another scenario, in addition to the ton of information it offers us, thanks again Collin and Katie.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started out playing home games where you would not be invited back if you check raised and it took a long time for me to embrace it.
I enjoy using it now to mix up the game and as a tool to get chips from those loose aggressive players that think by betting they can run over you and make you fold.
I also like to use it when against "Mr know it all" to shake him up a bit.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, Day 27 finished.
Is good way to earn chips when we read correctly our opponents.

Ty.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 27 completed. Interesting strategy to consider for playing out of position. I hope to be able to apply it to the game. Thanks for the lesson!

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It confuses the opponent you can definitely take advantage of after a check raise and is interpreted in many ways that is why it is also confusing at times. 🙂🙂🙂