The Art of the Check-Raise (Day 27 Course Discussion)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything I learn'd 'till in this course really improved my game, but this one went beyond all my tactics in poker.

Collin, you gotta start this check-raise strategy man, Katia is just in the right way. I just put this in my game today and it went tremendous effective, I can now look forward for a big improve in my profits.

That’s so awesome to hear, way to go, Phyrrura! [emoji41]

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the best in this course

So profitable, very nice play to extract chips from that very predictable players that you know will pay you off wherever he hits a top pair.

P

P1R35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Collin,
How you approach check/raising vs early position on less coordinated flops ?

Example:

UTG open 2,5bb (50bb) we defend BB with 6c3c.
Flop Kd4c2c, we checked, UTG Cbets 33%
Hero:confused:

Do we have a check/raising range here?
What hands? 44/22/K2s/K4s? 53s ?

Or we check/call only (because its kind of dry texture) and then start to check/raise turns?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Collin,

Example:

Or we check/call only (because its kind of dry texture) and then start to check/raise turns?

Good question.

We should be check-raising less frequently in these spots because our opponent will be on a tighter range weighted a lot more toward AK/KQ/KJs/KK+ compared to a later position open.

So generally what I would do here is check-shove if stacks were good for that, and check-call if deeper (bluffing most rivers if I've missed and the turn gets checked through).

P

P1R35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, so in the example I gave.
1. What would you do after XC strong hands (like sets/2pair) ?
You XR them on the turn and add some draws that arent good enought to XC( like 63s, 98s) ?

2. How wet the board need to be to you to start have XR range?
If not K42tt, mayby K97tt or KT8tt ?

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the check raise although other table goings on need to be taken into consideration, but if used correctly can scare most off:eek:

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Collin,

Example:

Here we must re-raise, we can win the hand without having to go all in or until the fifth community card.

"Luck comes and goes, but knowledge remains forever."

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, so in the example I gave.
1. What would you do after XC strong hands (like sets/2pair) ?
You XR them on the turn and add some draws that arent good enought to XC( like 63s, 98s) ?

2. How wet the board need to be to you to start have XR range?
If not K42tt, mayby K97tt or KT8tt ?

1. Usually check/call. Then on river check-raise if deep enough and we still want to get it in.

2. Sure some is fine, by JT8ss check-raising more, but these aren't exact answers. It just comes down to your opponent. How strong are they likely to be? What's my range here? What would I be doing with draws? How observant is my opponent? Does it matter if I'm only check-raising strong hands here?

SeniorTurtle

SeniorTurtle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
quiz question

In the quiz you advocate check-raising and then shoving with QJs. Would it be a big mistake to check-raise to 300-400 and then shove on the turn?

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last paragraph on the ebook chapter:

"This play would be most common when your opponent has been betting the whole way, and
you make a strong and disguised hand on the river. You check to let him bet again, and then
raise for value. For example, if you’ve called the flop and turn with JJ on a queen-high
board and river a jack, you would usually check-raise rather than bet out since it’s likely your
opponent will bet a third time if given the opportunity. If the hand you hit puts four cards to a
straight or flush on board, however, just bet yourself as too ofen your opponent will shut down."

I didn't understand what you mean here with "shut down". Does it mean he calls and gets beaten, or he folds?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the quiz you advocate check-raising and then shoving with QJs. Would it be a big mistake to check-raise to 300-400 and then shove on the turn?

Yes, it would certainly be reasonable to check-raise a bit smaller than 420 in that spot if you prefer :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last paragraph on the ebook chapter:

"This play would be most common when your opponent has been betting the whole way, and
you make a strong and disguised hand on the river. You check to let him bet again, and then
raise for value. For example, if you’ve called the flop and turn with JJ on a queen-high
board and river a jack, you would usually check-raise rather than bet out since it’s likely your
opponent will bet a third time if given the opportunity. If the hand you hit puts four cards to a
straight or flush on board, however, just bet yourself as too ofen your opponent will shut down."

I didn't understand what you mean here with "shut down". Does it mean he calls and gets beaten, or he folds?

In that context, “shut down” means that your opponent would check behind if you checked to him on the coordinated board.

We don’t know if he’ll call when we bet, but the important thing is to bet ourselves when we want value and our opponent is very likely to check should we give him the option, because that is our best chance of getting more money in the pot. Hope this helps [emoji4]

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that context, “shut down” means that your opponent would check behind if you checked to him on the coordinated board.

We don’t know if he’ll call when we bet, but the important thing is to bet ourselves when we want value and our opponent is very likely to check should we give him the option, because that is our best chance of getting more money in the pot. Hope this helps [emoji4]

Do they call a lot without the straight in these situations?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do they call a lot without the straight in these situations?

Fairly often, yes.

Most players who are in position; have a decent made hand; and get a scary river; will check back if checked to. Facing a bet, they will sometimes fold, but often call reasoning that they're beating a bluff.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for explaining the Check-Raise method. Never used it, but will give it a try in some situations. Thank you! Let's go to day 28.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for explaining the Check-Raise method. Never used it, but will give it a try in some situations. Thank you! Let's go to day 28.

Great, it really helps making you tougher to play against when out of position. Nice work and gl on day 28!

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A check raise is usually considered a sign of a strong hand

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A check raise during a hand is usually a sign of a good hand and that is what you want your opponents to believe, but you have to be careful because in some circumstances the Villain will re-raise or shove all-in over you, so then you have to decide whether to call or fold.
I have used this tactic to win a hand with air if I believe the other player is bluffing, But I would avoid trying it with 2 or 3 opponents left to act as one of them has possibly hit on the flop, and some players will call any bet with a single pair.
This is one reason a player in a live game will ask an opponent how many chips he has left before making a bet to instill fear in them that a raise is coming, and of course if you bet enough to put them all-in, the decision is then theirs to make on whether you are holding the nuts or just bluffing at them?
Poker is a cruel but fun game when this happens.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Not a bad tactic that has the right to life. However, it should be remembered that there is an antidote against any poison. And don't get carried away with overly favorite tactics. You should always keep an arsenal of various tactics ready for the sake of strategic advantage.