AQ vs AK.

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody.

May I ask you how, this hand was played maybe was a bad beat or something I didn't did correctly, because I had feelings he is better than me at, this board.

HERO: AQ :( I raise 2.5BB
Opponent AK: he called the 2.2BB
The flop coming : A,9,6 something like this, sincerely I didn't remember the cards, because I just turn off the client, but the cards was with flush draw, and I decided to raise half of bank.
Opponent: Just re-raise me, and I decided to call.
The turn was a little card, but with another flush draw, and I decided to check, and the opponent going ALL IN :( I decided to call, but really I had feelings he is better than me, because was a lot of flush draws in the board.
The River was a card blank, but I didn't remember exactly the card, but the opponent wins the hand AK against AQ with a better kicker.
I wish to hear you comments here :) may somebody in, this situation will press fold button, when he have a feelings like opponent it's better.

Last edited:
Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played AQ out of position. You always take a big risk with that. Of course, this always applies if you have an ace with a worse kicker. Sure Queen is not a bad kicker but is beaten by a king. I fold AQ preflop in early position (UTG, UTG + 1, UTG + 2) for this reason. In middle and late position I would raise with AQ if no one raised in front of me. If there was a raise before or after me, I would mostly fold AQ. Except for the opponent only made a minraise. Most of the time, this preflop strategy prevents you from only having the second best hand. Often an opponent with AK will 3-bet and you can fold your AQ. Of course, it can still be the case that you only have the second best hand. If you are in position it will help you to lose not your whole stack. Pot control is a good keyword here.

Thats how it works:
Postflop: Your opponent checks, you bet.
Turn: Both check
River: Opponent bets, you call.

This way you don't lose your entire stack.

In your situation it is very difficult to fold your hand. In addition, there were flush draws so you had to protect your hand with a bet.
Pot control is not always an option.
My tips can help you to prevent this situation, but they will still occur. This is poker. You won't be able to prevent it completely.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
... I fold AQ preflop in early position (UTG, UTG + 1, UTG + 2) for this reason...
You do WHAT?:hmmmm2:
... If there was a raise before or after me, I would mostly fold AQ...

:stupid:
So basically you playing AA KK and AK, so like 2 hands an hour. Ok great.
...Pot control is a good keyword here...

Im not sure you using pot control term correctly. Im no professor but it feels wrong. Are any poker professors online pls explain to me this stuff.
Thats how it works:
Postflop: Your opponent checks, you bet.
Turn: Both check
River: Opponent bets, you call.

He did bet the flop. And opponent raised him. Franckly i dont think he did anything wrong here, expecially considering that there were 2 flush draws out there.
Also one key is missing in this story - image of your opponent. If hes a nit then sure fold is a beter option here. But otherwise i think a hand was overall okay. Its just sometimes you lose. Its poker man.

Also WeAreHot you said 'I think he is beter then me because of all flush draws' - no my man, if anything, 2 flush draws make you BETER here. Cause its more reasons your opponent could go al in. And odds of hiting flush on turn are not very good.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do WHAT?:hmmmm2:

:stupid:
So basically you playing AA KK and AK, so like 2 hands an hour. Ok great.

Im not sure you using pot control term correctly. Im no professor but it feels wrong. Are any poker professors online pls explain to me this stuff.

He did bet the flop. And opponent raised him. Franckly i dont think he did anything wrong here, expecially considering that there were 2 flush draws out there.
Also one key is missing in this story - image of your opponent. If hes a nit then sure fold is a beter option here. But otherwise i think a hand was overall okay. Its just sometimes you lose. Its poker man.

Also WeAreHot you said 'I think he is beter then me because of all flush draws' - no my man, if anything, 2 flush draws make you BETER here. Cause its more reasons your opponent could go al in. And odds of hiting flush on turn are not very good.

I'm talking about no limit cash games longhand. Yes, in early position I only play JJ + & AK because playing in no limit position is very important. You can also play small pocket pairs and speculate on three of a kind. But even there it is much more profitable to play in position. In the late position, of course, I play more hands. I play suited connectors, picture cards, even A2s in late position when nobody has raised in front of me. I treat minraises like a limp. Yes, in his situation I would probably have called too. But that's why the right preflop game is so important: To avoid such situations. He was also out of position with AQ. That can be fatal. You can't do pot control anyway if you're out of position. That only works in position. That's why I tend to play marginal hands in a later position. I also said that pot control is not always the way to go. The board must of course not be too draw-heavy.
In this situation it was not necessarily the case as flush draws were possible. But he only had one opponent.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, if any professors of poker are online, please correct me if im wrong, but i think you overcomplicate your 'position'. I mean sure its a very important thing in poker, but not nearly as important as to fold AQ UTG. I mean how often anybody on the table have AQ dominated? This is the question that matters. I think not often enough to just fold it.
I think every position have some benefits you can't just fold out of position cmon man.
I'm talking about no limit cash games longhand. Yes, in early position I only play JJ + & AK because playing in no limit position is very important. You can also play small pocket pairs and speculate on three of a kind. But even there it is much more profitable to play in position. In the late position, of course, I play more hands. I play suited connectors, picture cards, even A2s in late position when nobody has raised in front of me. I treat minraises like a limp. Yes, in his situation I would probably have called too. But that's why the right preflop game is so important: To avoid such situations. He was also out of position with AQ. That can be fatal. You can't do pot control anyway if you're out of position. That only works in position. That's why I tend to play marginal hands in a later position. I also said that pot control is not always the way to go. The board must of course not be too draw-heavy.
In this situation it was not necessarily the case as flush draws were possible. But he only had one opponent.

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody.

May I ask you how, this hand was played maybe was a bad beat or something I didn't did correctly, because I had feelings he is better than me at, this board.

The flop coming : A,9,6 something like this, sincerely I didn't remember the cards, because I just turn off the client, but the cards was with flush draw, and I decided to raise half of bank.
The turn was a little card, but with another flush draw, and I decided to check, and the opponent going ALL IN :( I decided to call, but really I had feelings he is better than me, because was a lot of flush draws in the board.
The River was a card blank, but I didn't remember exactly the card, but the opponent wins the hand AK against AQ with a better kicker.
I wish to hear you comments here :) may somebody in, this situation will press fold button, when he have a feelings like opponent it's better.
I think you played the hand right, when I have posibility to have a flush with one card missing to the flop I call any bet to the showdown , I am not sorry if the flush dosen t come in.

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody.

I see more video where AQ beats AK , however if I have AQ and I am put in the situation to call all in preflop or pay all in after showdown I think a lot before I pay.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is considered a premium hand and in a fight it will always be stronger if you do not catch the second pair.In many situations, I would also not throw off the AQ probably you need to study the opponent as he plays his hands and draw conclusions.Always analyze the handouts this will help you make the right decisions in the future.Good luck!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on what you know about the opponent this is a good Spot to fold your AQ. Your Opponent just calls in Position Preflop and then bets big from the Flop on. Unless he is a donk he will usually have a Hand that‘s better than 1 pair.
I would have considdered 99 or 66 as his hand seeing his betting pattern...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't consider this a bad beat as you were behind the whole hand. I don't necessarily think you misplayed the hand but would need some additional information.

For example, you mentioned possible flush draw on the flop and another on the turn. I am guessing that you mean there were two cards of two different suits making two draws if your opponent were suited. I am curious too if you were suited and had flush draws.

I would also want to know your position in the hand and your opponents position. I don't have an issue to you raising AQ in early position (if you are going to play AQ I highly recommend it) but would want to know where did the villain call? Was he calling right after you or was he in late position? We have to pretend we don't know what he has. If I raised in early position and got a call with many players to act, I would expect AK to re-raise more than call to drive out the field and try to play the hand with position. If they called in late position, a call is more likely as position is established throughout the hand and the villain can see a flop, then your action to decide how to play an early raiser.

But you may have raised from late position and that needs a different analysis.