All in with 9 7? Solvers?

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite a few times lately my opponents turn over this hand preflop for an all in showdown and sometimes not even suited. Is this the new hand that donks love? I always put them on something strong like AQ thinking I may have them dominated with AK but no these idiots call off their entire stack with a 9 and a 7 even when deep stacked. Can honestly say I did not see this hand go all in preflop once in Nottingham last month in the entire weekend. Long may it continue, I feel the golden age of poker is on its way back and the standard of play is declining literally by the hour as these online players eventually spill over into real games. Is this solvers fault or GTO? I still don't know what a solver is. I was talking with some guys I played with at DTD about how computer poker and real poker are not the same thing and since I mostly play live I don't really know about most of these online theories but it sure has intrigued me.

Here is my own theory - Online "gurus" tell you to do one thing only to exploit the crap out of doing the opposite. My most profitable move live and online is a move that a popular poker blogger describes as something a "fish" would do. I am convinced this guy just doesn't like the move so critiques it to stop people doing it to him as it never fails for me either live or online. I highly doubt anybody on this site would be stupid enough to go all in pre flop with 9 7 when deep stacked but I am certain lots of players who visit this gurus site would execute a similar move to what I do and he has now persuaded them not to do it.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Quite a few times lately my opponents turn over this hand preflop for an all in showdown and sometimes not even suited. Is this the new hand that donks love? I always put them on something strong like AQ thinking I may have them dominated with AK but no these idiots call off their entire stack with a 9 and a 7 even when deep stacked. Can honestly say I did not see this hand go all in preflop once in Nottingham last month in the entire weekend. Long may it continue, I feel the golden age of poker is on its way back and the standard of play is declining literally by the hour as these online players eventually spill over into real games. Is this solvers fault or GTO? I still don't know what a solver is. I was talking with some guys I played with at DTD about how computer poker and real poker are not the same thing and since I mostly play live I don't really know about most of these online theories but it sure has intrigued me.

Here is my own theory - Online "gurus" tell you to do one thing only to exploit the crap out of doing the opposite. My most profitable move live and online is a move that a popular poker blogger describes as something a "fish" would do. I am convinced this guy just doesn't like the move so critiques it to stop people doing it to him as it never fails for me either live or online. I highly doubt anybody on this site would be stupid enough to go all in pre flop with 9 7 when deep stacked but I am certain lots of players who visit this gurus site would execute a similar move to what I do and he has now persuaded them not to do it.
I hate it when that happens. But I don't think there are any such miraculous strategies. I think the fishes think that a raise is usually Ax and they bet thinking about the sequence odds. Nothing more. But we must continue in our range of hands.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like you've been running into some players who are making questionable preflop all-in moves with hands like 9-7 offsuit. This can definitely be frustrating, especially when it seems like they are making these moves without any real understanding of the situation.

One possible explanation for this behavior is that these players may be influenced by the advice of online "gurus" who promote certain strategies that may not always be optimal in real-world scenarios. For example, some players may be using solvers or GTO (game theory optimal) strategies that are designed to exploit weaknesses in the average player's game, but may not be effective against more experienced or savvy opponents.

Another possibility is that these players may be influenced by the fast-paced and high-stakes nature of online poker, where players are often more willing to take big risks in order to build big stacks quickly. This can lead to players making big bluffs or big calls with hands that would typically be considered too weak to play in a live game.

In any case, it's important to remember that poker is a game of incomplete information, and there is always a degree of uncertainty when trying to read your opponents. It's also important to keep in mind that different players will have different playing styles and tendencies, and what works against one player may not work against another.

So, it's hard to say if it is solvers' fault or GTO, but it could be that some players are influenced by online "gurus" and the fast-paced nature of online poker. It also could be that some players are exploiting the opposite of what online gurus say, and it works for them.

In any case, it's important to always be aware of the situation and adjust your strategy accordingly. And remember, live and online poker are different games, and you have to adapt your strategy accordingly based on the type of game you are playing.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It sounds like ....snip
Or ...they don't care and want to donk someone with a rubbish hand.

Had a 20k stack shoving against 1/2k blinds and guy called his whole 19k stack off with 2,3....and won!

Variance, I think they call that.

I have another name for it.... but it breaks the malicious online social contract.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Going all-in with 97c against one opponent is actually not that bad, in terms of equity this hand is equivalent to 5-5, and against unmade pairs like AKo, the chances of winning are as much as 40%.
Of course, it depends on stack depth, tournament type, etc. But in general, I don't see any problem in shoving hands like 97, 67, 910, etc. The point is that they hit very often board. This is my opinion, maybe a fish :)

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hah, funny, I went to see one streamer, and saw a push from 79 :)
As you can see, even in a tournament with a 215 buy-in, this can be observed :D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do not doubt this strategy would work online, if their stack is larger than your chip stack and they have the 7 9.

The other day, I would have monied if I had the nuggets to go all in with 69, and looked in awe as opponents with an AK and and another with a QJ would have increased my chance of moneying in the monthly game when the 9 appeared on the flop and blinds were 600/1200.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How many bb's your and villain? Bounty tournament? Starting, mid or final tournament time? Reesteal or 3 bet all in or start all in? How many times you see this happens? What is the buy-in?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Going all-in with 97c against one opponent is actually not that bad, in terms of equity this hand is equivalent to 5-5, and against unmade pairs like AKo, the chances of winning are as much as 40%.
Of course, it depends on stack depth, tournament type, etc. But in general, I don't see any problem in shoving hands like 97, 67, 910, etc. The point is that they hit very often board. This is my opinion, maybe a fish :)
WARNING
You're attempting to write something that makes sense to some people that only seem to understand (or believe in) 'nonsense'

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite a few times lately my opponents turn over this hand preflop for an all in showdown and sometimes not even suited. Is this the new hand that donks love? I always put them on something strong like AQ thinking I may have them dominated with AK but no these idiots call off their entire stack with a 9 and a 7 even when deep stacked.
Presumably those "idiots", who called your AK with 97o, won the hand? If so then this is basically just another bad beat vent, and it should have been posted in the section for those rather than here in "learning poker". Usually 97 is not a good call when "deep stacked", but it does depend on your definition of "deep". Another factor to consider is, if this happened in bounty tournaments, where perhaps the value of your bounty gave the player with 97o correct odds to call and try to knock you out.
Long may it continue, I feel the golden age of poker is on its way back and the standard of play is declining literally by the hour as these online players eventually spill over into real games.
I have played a lot of online poker for the past 5 years, and I certainly dont think, the quality of play online is declining. If anything its the exact opposite.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Presumably those "idiots", who called your AK with 97o, won the hand? If so then this is basically just another bad beat vent, and it should have been posted in the section for those rather than here in "learning poker". Usually 97 is not a good call when "deep stacked", but it does depend on your definition of "deep". Another factor to consider is, if this happened in bounty tournaments, where perhaps the value of your bounty gave the player with 97o correct odds to call and try to knock you out.

I have played a lot of online poker for the past 5 years, and I certainly dont think, the quality of play online is declining. If anything its the exact opposite.

OP is a HUGE fish. Initial posts when joined CC were about how he plays for a living.

When he speaks of the fish online, he is merely projecting (speaks about himself)