AK preflop

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a mini tourny i would go allin, in big one i reraise bb but fold if other goes allin

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that AK is a "drawing hand" but it is just too easy to have an initial raiser crushed when they come in with AJ, AQ, or KQ.

If I am really deep stacked then I can probably just call, but more often than not the chips are going to in the middle preflop.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if it would severely hurt my stack because the pot is already large by several bets ahead.
So if I dont have to I wont risk it usualy.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a satellite tournament and we're about to get to ITM and my chips are enough to get through, I'll just throw away the A,K as well. But for example, if the table is strong with good-looking players and there is a raise and a reraise preflop, then I will simply throw A,K even then.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, with chest pain. Usually when I'm short and close to ITM

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My experience is losing near the bubble ( or just deep in) because of AK
Whether first hand or final table, there’s always going to be this tough decision,
Shove, call all in or fold and live to fight another hand
Always factors to consider with stacks, players, position..
Especially if you’re playing for first,
Flipping your tournament life vs one is ok odds, few callers and you may be out.
This goes way more for hands like AQ,AJ, KQ suited, JJ and smaller pocket pairs
I’d rather dominate the flop and go from there...

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

Exactly. If theres a huge call and i´m short i would fold

Rgds

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I do consider folding if I'm playing a tourney and I have a big stack, I don't want to gamble preflop with AK, it's still underdog vs a small pocket pair.
I do fold in a cash game if there's one all-in and we have both equivalant stack, it's -EV. I'm loosing money with 45% equity in the long run.

reraee1

reraee1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's easy when you're out of position! and when the whole table went to ollin

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the position and table dynamics. Happened rarely.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I can fold AKs preflop; I've done it many times; I'm virtually certain I'll fold it some more...of course, the vast majority of the time I am playing it. AK isn't much different from the other premium preflop holdings. It is a great hand and we'll typically be playing it for value, but that doesn't mean we have to never fold it.
I could fold AKs preflop for reasons connected to table dynamics, stack depth, mood (argument may be made emotions have no place at the table, but that doesn't mean emotions aren't sometimes a factor) and many more...
AK (even suited) can occasionally be crushed. Villain AA or KK clearly, but even a NIT villain with ICM considerations, deep stacked enough...and we can see how AK might even be an insta-fold. We don't want to fold monsters like AK often (easily exploitable), but there are times. ;)

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The AK combination is the most profitable, gets into the flop in 70% of the AK is played by raising in any case without any problems, in all poker tables it is designated as a monster hand, this hand can be dropped by a super professional, in a super expensive tournament, if a very tight player opens a raise from an early position, but this does not apply to us, play this hand as simply as possible- raise on the preflop, learn to play correctly, do not listen to those who fold, this is complete nonsense, at least you need to see the flop, play your hands correctly and make a profit

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never got around to giving up, the sad thing is to lose to a hand that has nothing to do with it like 2 3

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, AK suited is a wonderful preflop drawing hand, very pretty, but when you multiple big bets in front of you, then a doleful yet disciplined fold is often in order.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, preflop you can quite often find fold AKs, this situation can be in a satellite when we already have a passed stack and it makes no sense to play this hand or on the bubble of an expensive tournament if all in comes to us, also if we are in the big blind and 3 players or more before us went all in, so there are enough such situations, but still we will play this hand more often

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many variants you should consider for folding AKs preflop. What's your position? How big is your stack? How far are we from the ATM? What's the stack of those who can still talk after you? The good poker player doesn't have a pre-defined rule for this situation. He analyzes the context before deciding.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop all ins evens the playing field, probably a great suggestion with AKs for those that feel under skilled or uncomfortable playing postflop.

Last edited:

85champ07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I will fold AK preflop, but only in a small amount of situations. For instance, if I am pushed all-in for over 100BB, like at the beginning of a tournament. There are better spots to play with the odds of getting a monster hand again. Another situation is at when I am short and on the bubble. A third reason is if I am in the position where I have to call 4 or more opponents with a large bet size, like one that would cost me over 1/2 my chips. I may choose to fold due to high amount of variance in that position. Against 1 person is okay, 4 or more and the percentage of win-loss goes down a bit due to the large variance on boards.