Advice Required! How to play with table full of donkeys?

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play extra tight and then get the money in good and they will pay you off. Patience is the key, but there's no reason you shoulden't show a profit if you're playing basic ABC poker and these donks keep throwing their money around.
I agree with this. Keep in mind that while the donkeys are throwing their money around and you're playing tight, you're not going to get many hands that are worth playing in the frequent multiway pots. As a result, you may be sitting with close to your original chip stack as the bubble approaches while the donkeys that got lucky have built up large stacks. But if the table is truly full of donkeys then this will happen while the blinds are still managable. At this point, several things will be different from the start of the tournament:
  • the donkeys will tighten up because they don't want to bust out before the bubble
  • your table image will be very tight, so your raises and c-bets will get some respect even from the donkeys.
  • fewer players means fewer multiway pots so you will have more opportunities for heads-up hands and blind steals.
So now you can work your way back into contention a little at a time and beat them with skillful play (and maybe a little luck) :)

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Default preflop bet for micros is 4xbb + 1bb for each limper. If you have a real calling station; (VPIP 60%+) then increase open amt to 7bb and if they keep calling then increase to 10bb. If they keep calling 10bb pf bets make it 20bb for AA KK QQ JJ & AK and 10bb for everything else. Trust me they won't even notice that you are raising more with premium starting hands.

amt = amount.
Thanks again. One more question relating to position. I'm not sure how the SB and BB fit into the opening hands.

Preflop on a 9 handed table for example, we have UTG and UTG+1 and then perhaps MP are the next 2 along and then LP are what, HJ and CO? Then we have the button, so what are the blinds called/doing in relation to your opening hand range above?

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't see what stakes you play at or if you play Full Ring or 6max.

This advice is most pertinent to 2nl full ring; BE ADVISED THAT THIS ADVICE IS A LITTLE ON THE GENERIC SIDE AND THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS TO EVERY RULE.

A nitty style can be successful in the micros if you are disciplined. The number one enemy the nit has is refusing to let go of overpairs and Top Pairs. This is usually because the nit develops a sense of entitlement thinking they should be rewarded for patiently folding 80%+ of the time. The cure for that is; Play nitty in EP but loosen up in late position and especially on the button. By having a very wide range in LP and a very tight range in EP you offer less implied odds, get a chance to play more hands and make more money.

If you are playing 2nl I can give you the basics;

set your auto top up to on and always buy in for 100bb.

Opening hand range:

UTG, UTG+1: Any pocket pair, AK.AQ

MP: same as above plus AJ, KQ

LP: same as above plus any 2 Broadway, any suited Ace, K9s+ Q9s+ J9s+,suited connectors 65s+, suited gappers 86s+

Button: same as above plus any Ace and any two offsuit cards 8 or better.

If the pot is opened in front of you re-raise with AA KK QQ AK, flat call with AQs, AJs and all pps JJ-22. Fold weaker Aces and kings and suited connectors.

if you are re-raised and out of position shove with AA KK QQ fold everything else.

If a pot is raised and re-raised before the action gets to you fold everything but AA KK and shove these.

If you are on the button and an EP ior MP player open raises and no one calls you can add AK and KQs to the hands you flat with listed above.

If you are on the button and the blinds 3bet your open raise flat call AA KK QQ JJ AK, fold rest.

postflop:

c-betting; you want to c-bet almost every time except;
  1. you have a small pp or suited connectors and the flop has two or more broadways and you have no flush draw.
  2. you have two broadways and the flop is low and very wet like 9d8d6c and you don't have a flush draw. This includes having AK, no sense in betting you won't get a fold.
  3. remember any pocket pair below QQ is mainly played for set value so if you don't flop a set and your c-bet gets called do not fire another barrell on the turn.
the best flops to c-bet are an Ace or one Face card with two cards 9 or lower.

c-bet amt; dry boards 1/2 pot, wet boards 3/4 bet, strong made hand like
TPTK, an overpair or set on a wet board; pot sized bet.

what to do if re-raised on the flop;
  1. If you have an overpair or top pair top kicker or top 2 pair or a set on a dry board call unless it is a shove.
  2. If villain shoves on the at 2nl call with top 2, sets, AA and KK on non Ace flops. Sometimes
  3. If the board is wet do the same as above except if you have a set or a straight on a 4flush board, then shove.
  4. Fold all other hands on the flop to a re-raise.
  5. Do not try and get cute and re-raise with nut flush draws, you need fold equity to make this +EV and at 2nl you don't have much FE.
on the turn;
  1. if you still are likely to have best hand and the turn card is not likely to have completed opponent's draw bet 1/2 pot.
  2. if you pick up additional equity on the turn like a flush draw, OESD or pair bet 1/2 pot, never check here. You want value added to the pot when you complete your draw and will also get folds on the turn.
  3. If you are re-raised on the turn fold ALL single pair hands including AA.
  4. If you have an OESD or Flush draw on the flop and the turn is a brick fold to a large bet DO NOT CHASE DRAWS TO THE RIVER WITHOUT POT ODDS!!!!!!! This is how poker players go broke.
on the river.
  1. If you have the nuts on the river bet as big as you think opponent will call but at least 1/2 pot.
  2. Otherwise if you are unsure if your hand is best make a 1/3 to 1/2 pot bet on the river. You will get lots of folds and calls with worse hands. If you get re-raised here you should fold everything but the nuts or a set on a non straight/ flush board. This includes single pair hands, and any 2 pair hand that is not top 2.
  3. If opponent shoves on the river fold anything but nut flushes or straights and sets on a non-straight/flush board.

Man, that is one hell of a great post. I vote for a repost in its own thread so this can be stickied.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again. One more question relating to position. I'm not sure how the SB and BB fit into the opening hands.

Preflop on a 9 handed table for example, we have UTG and UTG+1 and then perhaps MP are the next 2 along and then LP are what, HJ and CO? Then we have the button, so what are the blinds called/doing in relation to your opening hand range above?
It's hard to give advice on Blind play but a few things; if you are in the SB and it is limped multi-way it is ok just to complete with 22-77 plus weak suited Aces (just bear in mind you can't try to push someone around with top pair, you're looking for a flush draw so if you have As3s and the flop comes down AhKh7c don't think you can hold on if villain is pushing at you). If you have 88-AA,AK AQ go ahead and pop it. IF the pot is raised you should 3bet TT+, AK and fold everything else. If it is folded to you in the small blind I would raise anything in my button opening range. Never limp in SB vs BB.
In the BB If I am last to act in a raised pot I will flat with small pocket pairs to set mine. Otherwise 3bet TT+, AK and fold the rest. If it is limped and you don't raise because you have junk, don't be willing to stack off when you flop Top and Bottom pair because you have K3 on a KT3 board. Take one shot at the pot immediately but fold to pressure on the turn. It is easy to catch a corner of the flop when you limped from the BB but this is a surefire way to spew if you start chasing weak draws or can't fold when you're obviously beat.
When in the blinds, if the button raises don't be tempted to 3bet bluff if the button won't fold. If the button limps don't raise hands like AT KJ just limp behind. If villain on button is super loose you might 3bet AQ, AJ maybe KQ but if he is the type to stack off with top pair any kicker you can sometimes flat AA KK QQ JJ AK,especially if they open raise wide but fold to 3bets easily.
A lot of this advice would seem like rubbish to advanced players like WV,Stu or Belgo but bear in mind, if you are playing 2nl your postflop skills are probably highly undeveloped and until you have internalized your equity against a villain's assumed range and can really dance between teardrops you need to sometimes perform rough surgery. It is better for a novice player to fold the winning hand and sacrifice a few chips then to stack off foolishly. If you stack off once in 100 hands it drags your BB/100 down by one half point. If you do it twice it decreases it by one BB. Getting stacked is a big drain on your bankroll. It's ok when you get stacked when you were a big favorite and got sucked out on but to get stacked because you over valued your hand or misread your opponent's actions and/or the board texture it becomes very costly.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
G R U N C H

There are 2 approaches that can be taken against known bad players.

1) Gamble in more marginal situations and bet weaker hands for value

2) Wait for something to stack them with and cut out bluffs etc.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FX,

Kudos for the great posts ITT. If I can suggest two ideas for your basics of beating 2nl post:

1. Don't c-bet air into two or more players. If more than one person called your pre flop raise the odds of someone hitting the flop go up a lot.

2. When calling raises with small pocket pairs watch your opponents stack sizes. If you are calling just to set mine you need them to have a deep stack say 100bb or so.

I for one am nominating your posts, this thread (whatever works) for sticky heaven. Great stuff. :adore:

H

huntnl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
4 out of 5 times.. a donk will make a flush or a straight or atleast 2 pair.
the knowledge u have in poker is inversely proportional for your draws to make a flush or straight :p

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some good advice over here and i'm gonna add an average one:

Don't waste your time on the standard freerolls (not talking about private ones) your chance to cash in those is often under 1%(full tilt 7500 ones) and no matter how good you play you will get sucked out on and all you need is one bad beat to get you out...
Making good plays will see you being the winner in the long run in cash games and SNGs but that's not the same for huge MTTs where you have to get through 10000 donks and u know all of them are fishing one of them is gonna catch.(well, unless u like winning pennies without taking a risk in which case u'll win one of those every 100 tournies)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The blinds are folding most of the time :rolleyes:.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice Required! How to play with table full of donkeys?

Rub your hands together and prey they stay. Once this has happened, play slightly tighter and in position and then take them for all their chips. The most easiest part is taking money of a table full of donks.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet big when you got it and tighten up. You should only chase when you have good odds and it depends on situation (people playing in hand) and ur stack also.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
G R U N C H

There are 2 approaches that can be taken against known bad players.

1) Gamble in more marginal situations and bet weaker hands for value

2) Wait for something to stack them with and cut out bluffs etc.

Lol this is the second most important piece of advice in this thread

Fx's is great for people who want to learn a set of rules for playing and never really understand why, therefore improve as a player nor be able to adjust to different player types. This isn't a bash Fx, it's genuinely good info but people need to learn why not just how.

My post is the most important obv.