Abuse at a table

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately on Bodog once someone is knocked out they are no longer part of the table. I emailed them about it but don't think it's been fixed. Since they're technically not "at the table" you can't block them if they're just observing the table.

At bodog, you'll have to go to the main lobby. Click the 'preferences' tab, then the 'game details' tab. There, you check 'block observer chat'. Not sure if it blocks it right away, as I've never done it. I'd imagine that if you close the table, then reopen it, it should work.

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried to take the advice in the past of "Just Ignoring it", but I find that I end up very distracted just reading what is coming through and not paying full attention to the game (I play 3 or 4 games at a time, not much, but I am still just learning and I need to concentrate on all 4 games). Now I just disable the chat as soon as 2 or 3 comments have come in a row. I tend to miss out on all the childish comments and terrible grammar that often accompanies these comments and can be very entertaining, but I am there to play some poker and I need to concentrate on my game and find that very difficult with those distractions.

B

Bobmurphy07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I NEVER read chat. It's pointless. Ppl have said they came to my table and tried to talk and I just missed it because I could care less what's going on in the chatbox. That's how I avoid any insults.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure why many would say "report it"...Unless it was racist or threatening, why would you waste your time reporting it? Cause someone called you a donk, questioned your play

Its just a website--with chat--from a person you do not even know. Its meaningless words. Find some way to make it entertaining.

If you play at a live table the same banter goes on...do you ever watch poker on TV...Phil Helmuth (yuck)

Dont let it bother you...and in some cases pay attention and it may help your game in the long run.

Good Luck

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As said above if they are verbally attacking you, you do not need to respond you have already tilted them. Take that as satisfaction and let your play speak for you. I have been playing for a year and a half and have never reported anything except once the other day, an observer who a person at the table just busted out, started with racial slurs. Other that that have fun and don't let it get to you, that is what they are trying to do.

Mission Man 56

Mission Man 56

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most here in that it's best to try and ignore it and if anything pat yourself on the back for putting them on tilt. However, I once reported someone who stayed at the table and took to racial slurs and extreme profanity after I knocked them out of a tourney -- He was completely over the top with it, so I took down the tourney # and the hand #'s and reported him to the moderators. He was banned for a time, I forget how long.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple....I put them on mute...and also the one or ones they are talikng to. I did not come there for that but to have fun like you mentioned.

B

Bren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mute them. Makes the game simple and quiet.

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure you can. At Full Tilt, there is an options box in the upper right corner of your table. Click it and then uncheck the 'observer chat'. At Poker Stars, click on the dealer chips in the upper middle, and do the same thing.

To the OP, I tend to attack back, but never in anger. I often see it as a chance for a little more fun. Once I make the table laugh, they'll usually chime in right along with me. Of course, it helps not to play too badly, like calling bets to chase a straight when that's all you got. I don't report unless it is truly over the top. I figure they are suffering enough wallowing in their own bile. :p
Very very well said. I have actually seen you at the tables and must say that you always add a bit of humour to the game. Its great, perhaps I can follow your advice and not be so hot headed in future and maybe just approach the situation with humour.:)

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very very well said. I have actually seen you at the tables and must say that you always add a bit of humour to the game. Its great, perhaps I can follow your advice and not be so hot headed in future and maybe just approach the situation with humour.:)

Thanks, very nice of you to say. Probably approach it that way because I can find humor in most anything, even when I'm ticked off. Sometimes I instigate. For instance, someone compliments a suckout with 'nh'. They can often expect an additional "Yeah, well done moron, that was masterful" from me. :p So I get a little hot headed too, but get it off my chest (or fingers), and take it all in stride. :D

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahhh... abusive players. It's so much fun to bust them out of tournaments. But unfortunately they can make you want to bust them just a little too badly and incite you to call with more marginal hands than you normally would. I figure that's the whole point of what they're doing... at least I hope there's method to their retard behavior.

I played a tournament on celebpoker not too long ago and there was one player at my table who just would not shut up. Every hand he lost he flamed the winner with all caps chats like OMFG U F*ING FAG! and other such eloquent lines. When he won it was pretty much the same except for the addition of the word stupid before the word fag. I made the mistake of responding to him, after I "donked" his KTs with my KK, telling him he was a little less than bright for calling my all in reraise of about 6x his original raise. After this he decided I was his nemesis and even went out of his way to pass comment on hands that I was involved in where he had already folded before the hands were even over.

I didn't make it to the end of the tournament, but I did manage to bust mr. loudmouth which made it feel like a victory anyway. :)

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every hand he lost he flamed the winner with all caps chats like OMFG U F*ING FAG! and other such eloquent lines. When he won it was pretty much the same except for the addition of the word stupid before the word fag.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is so lame, it's almost hilarious. Wouldn't even faze me - not even if I were a guy who was insecure in my masculinity. :laugh: My reply might be "LMFFaggotAO, loser!"

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Insults are just away for the other player to get back at you. Ignore it, or block it. No use in getting mad, just get even. Whoop them in the next hand =]

M

marysgirl883

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has happened to me many times. I find if you just ignore them you are better off. I think most of them who do this are very young and have nothing netter to do..It makes them feel like a big man, which they are not.

D

derekjonas56

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I'm a kinderegarten teacher haha. And I know this sounds childish (no pun intended) but when a kid attacks another I always say do one of two things
1) ignore them
2) kill them with kindness

it should still apply. But you have an advantage that you are indirectly being talked to. It's not like they can physically harm you. Sticks and Stones

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would simply just mute the player,and if the problem pursisted further than that I would contact support.

nutshooter

nutshooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good thing to do is ignore abusive chat. The best think to do is use their immaturity against them. They would not be talking if they were not threatened. Belittle them so they feel as though they must make big bets to gain back their manhood. you might lose some blinds preflop but it will be worth the win of a stupid over the top bet on their part. If you try the second way and lose report them lol.

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must admit I have had my issues in the past with getting at other players for making bad calls and getting lucky. But I have always tried to be even handed so if someone gets unlucky I like to say GC unlucky especially if it is me they have called and I have outdrawn them.

To alleviate the stress of getting outdrawn I just type what I would like to say and then clear it or open up word and put it there never to seen again. This does help because even though I get really annoyed in the moment after about 2 minutes I am over it.

The Muppetteer

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easiest and most common way is to just disable there chat

than you wont see what they are saying, so they will keep on typing away but you wont ever know. works wonders when ppl wont shut upl

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with turning off your chat is that if there is someone who wants to talk I am quite happy to talk to them and I would miss that chance if I turned off the chat. I also find observer chat quite bad with people coming along and just abusing people for no apparent reason. I realize there must be some history there but to me it seems really strange. The was a guy on FT recently who was came up in observer chat and started abusing me because of my name. Now maybe i had done something to him previously but I dont remember so to it was just really weird but because I often have people say hi when I am online and I do the same especially the Aussie freerolls I wont disable the chat.

The Muppetteer

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best is to ignore provocating chat, i always do why go down on a level like this, and there are no words needed just take the rest of his chips..always the best answer..lol

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bla, Bla, Bla. Lots of smoke with no fire. I just ignore them, sometimes egg them on and wait for their mistake. It will happen and be ready to pounce.

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had stopped playing in freerolls for while because I got sick of the rudeness and didn't want to deal with it.

But now I am playing in them again and so far, I haven't had anything too bad said to me.

I think ignoring abuse will be difficult for me, with my Irish temper.....but I'll give it a shot....