Abuse at a table

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On pokerstars, you can call a moderator. On full tilt, you can email them about it. In any circumstance, replying to them isn't good. They want that and you are giving it to them.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah if its racist / swearing type stuff then report them.

If its just annoying then ignore them (disable their chat.. you wont miss much and people rarely type in their hand during play by accident, so its not going to be a disadvantage).

Maybe think of some quick one liners, in advance, that can be used in these situations.

Alternatively type DONKEY every time you beat them and DONKEY every time they out play you.. no wait thats lowering yourself to their level.

Meh... who cares?

whitewolf

whitewolf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just ignore them the mute button does wonders!!!
They are being childish I think.

C

ChrisJJJJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont let the trash talkers and Knowitalls ruin your game. THey are just trying trying to intimidate you into not playing your hands so they can continually overplay their hands and steal pots. My favorite pastime is slow playing these cats and watching em dig their own graves.

C

ChrisJJJJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont agree with disabling chat. You can learn alot about your opponents by watching the chat box.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I turn off chat function then. Unfortunatelly it happened a few times.
Although usually childish ppl do it, but sometimes (fewer cases) I belive it's a strategy to make you angry and "drag you in match" (to call).

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put pointer over offending person. Right click. select mute. Problem solved.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the best way to handle abusive players during an online game?

I suggest 2 ways:

Ignore them. (optionally Mute them).

Engage them. Don't take ANYTHING personally. Pay no attention to what they say about you. Just heckle them back more cleverly and try to tilt them even more.

If #2 is too hard (like you end up emotional and tilted), just stick to #1.

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest 2 ways:

Ignore them. (optionally Mute them).

Engage them. Don't take ANYTHING personally. Pay no attention to what they say about you. Just heckle them back more cleverly and try to tilt them even more.

If #2 is too hard (like you end up emotional and tilted), just stick to #1.

Everyone has been giving really good advice on this thread. It has helped me and hopefully others too.

BTW, cAPSLOCK, I love your avatar~LOL.. Bender in drag!! Too funny!

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I look at it... I may not be terribly good at the poker part of poker... but as well as trying to improve the foundations of the game itself I work real hard on bankroll management, tilt control, reading and projecting table image(s), and recognizing opportunities.

Often people like the bonehead you describe are offering a sort of oppourtunity, or at least some window into their personality. They are agressive, and lack self control. This will directly apply to their game (often).

On the other hand, if you attack back you are also giving info, and often, in my own game, I have lost a stack to someone I have targeted in anger in an effort to "get back at them".

I find this aspect of the game as interesting as the strategy/game theory type stuff. We don't play in a vacuum, and great players often make money by manufacturing edge in spite of the actual cards.

I think of Negreanu. He is a player that is able to lull his opponent into a posture of openness. Many argue he doesn't have the strongest game of any pro, but that aside this one element of his game has won him a *&^%load of money.

Thanks for the avatar compliment. I'm pretty sure purple is my color.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
disabling chat for me really isn't an option. i can't help it, i want to see what ppl say; doesn't mean i need to respond. occasionally you end up playing with someone who's company you enjoy during the game, and when there is a trash talker, just the fact there is some simple chat usually drowns them out or shuts them up completely.

i've made a rule not to target trash talkers who have burned me or i have just burned by the way i play, that's always been a sure way for me to get off my game. with that rule in place, chat can only add to the fun

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cant say i much care what anyone says to me at the table. i look at like this. if your worried about cussing me out, putting me down, questioning if my birth was legitimate, whatever, then your clearly not focusing on your game so your someone im not gonna be worried about other than if you go allin repeatedly bc your pouting. jabber away. your only showing everyone what a baby you are. :cool:

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thought, i am nice well playing ring game, well untill i lose i big pot......
But i respect the CC games, would not do that.... Thought i keep finding out how far i can push my chat well in ring games, like it when someone starts up with the, name calling AKA saying i am gay, that will push me a bit to much to hammer on then, thought it does not take my focus off my game........

disabling chat for me really isn't an option. i can't help it, i want to see what ppl say; doesn't mean i need to respond.
HEHEHEHE I know that :D

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
like it when someone starts up with the, name calling AKA saying i am gay, that will push me a bit to much to hammer on then
i'm tellin you...its a chat attached to a poker game...poker rules apply. when someone calls you gay, don't call and don't fold! they don't know if you're gay or not, it's time to re-raise in a situation like that and ask for their number

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Becoming overly conscious of chat is a leak in your game. Big time chat-rats, I call them, act that way because they are insecure in their game and need some kind of validation of their play. I don't really care about people I don't know and don't feel I have to stoop to their level to prove anything. You really have to detach yourself from the players and think of your own game and how to go about beating them.

damon789

damon789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Abuse from Strangers

The best one I had was an observer(who i was unaware at the time) who was

on the waiting list. struck up a conversation and then told me to go kill myself it

rattled me. and he got on the table sucked out on me and thought it was

hilarious. I dont get upset by anything in the chat box anymore. as its just

words in a box. if it turns nasty call the Mod or block the players chat. But

seriously its just something to get used to, it happens sure as the blinds coming

around ,so might aswell be prepared for it .GL ignoring the morons Peace

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm tellin you...its a chat attached to a poker game...poker rules apply. when someone calls you gay, don't call and don't fold! they don't know if you're gay or not, it's time to re-raise in a situation like that and ask for their number
LMAO, i got to remember that....
Yeah i start raising them, let them guess my hands:D

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just agree with every thing they say, confirm it to the rest of the table. Congratulating them on there skills is always good. Its internet chat, you don't need to have macho image just a poker one.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I had stopped playing in freerolls for while because I got sick of the rudeness and didn't want to deal with it.

But now I am playing in them again and so far, I haven't had anything too bad said to me.

I think ignoring abuse will be difficult for me, with my Irish temper.....but I'll give it a shot....

Irish
and you may have a Temper
lol
Never
lol

Good luck with that .....

CC players would never act in that manner.

We are a Family .........

I hope players show you the respect you deserve.