A-K D0 you shove pre-flop or call and play post-flop?

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed that A-K is coming up as the last hand that I play in tournaments. I have been treating this as a premium hand such as A-A and K-K. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this is a drawing hand and should be played post-flop as such. Does anyone have any input on their theory or practice of how to play A-K so that it is not the last hand played in a tournament. What are the secrets to playing A-K and winning instead of getting knocked out of tournaments?:confused:

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always strong, I wouldn't go all in pre flop plus 50BB, but I would play it strong from the start.

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I got 25BB plus I would hesitate to shove it pre. Rather get dissapointed at flop than river!

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in that hand I have the least confidence to go all inn

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Suited, I shove. Unsuited is just a draw.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed that A-K is coming up as the last hand that I play in tournaments. I have been treating this as a premium hand such as A-A and K-K. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this is a drawing hand and should be played post-flop as such. Does anyone have any input on their theory or practice of how to play A-K so that it is not the last hand played in a tournament. What are the secrets to playing A-K and winning instead of getting knocked out of tournaments?:confused:

Looks like David Sklansky agrees with your play.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I call preflop and after depend od the flop i play very hard

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have a short stack, I will often go all-in preflop. AK can play aggressively if the board is favorable for you. But don't overplay, you can check fold if the board is not good for your range or the opponent puts a lot of pressure on you.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

If you have more than 20bb, the ideal is to play post flop, with less direct shove.

I agree with you, Ak is a premium hand, but like QQ, you need to be more cautious with the shove pre-flop, and in the pos, not over-value. Too much, it's just doing the basics.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It depends on the stack sizes. If I have around 10 BB I would shove. Otherwise I raise or 3-bet and then I make a decision postflop.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call and see the flop, it depends on my luck I go with everything until the end.:):)

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand plays differently in different situations. If I am short-stacked, it could be an all-in preflop. If I have a certain stack size, I will raise, but try to see a flop.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact, it is also a card that should be folded depending on the situation.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Although the hand, which is also called "Big Slick", is considered incomplete, it has one of the largest potential for improvement. And that means victory at the showdown. Therefore, this starting hand is one of the most preferred in hold'em. But just getting it is not enough. You need to be able to play it correctly in different situations. When playing Big Slick, you need to remember that you will only get a pair on the flop in one hand out of three. And since this doesn't happen often, it makes sense to seize the initiative already preflop to save yourself from making difficult decisions on the flop. Raising is especially important if you have a lot of limpers in front of you. In this case, you almost always need to raise to stay in the hand against a maximum of 2-3 players. Moreover, the more limpers, the larger you need to make a raise so that it is not called by everyone according to the pot odds. It is justified to call with AK when there was a big raise in front of you or, as already mentioned, the depth of the stacks does not allow you to play this hand too aggressively.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
AK is a really tricky hand, how to play it depends on many factors such as your position, your stack, whether or not they re-raised preflop and the stack of those in the hand, what type of players they are and the image they have of you in the table. That said, if I were short stack I would go all-in preflop, in any other situation I would analyze the points mentioned.