77 and 88??

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will limp on late position with those hands but other than that it's a fold for me.
I agree. But usually only overlimp as these hands can be monsters in multiway pots if you hit a set (not quite as good heads up; and sometimes the calling price isn't even worth it if you're playing at a table where players don't like to grow the pot much). If you don't hit a set with these and if they aren't an overpair I'd toss them.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post flop play and villain reads.

77 and 88 are strong enough hands that they are open raises from UTG in cash games, but are on the weakest part of that.

Certainly can be tough to play.

Thank U 4 Responding

As a pro would you say that strong post flop skills are required to play these cards for +ev?
Not counting just set mining of course which is a straight up math decision.

If so, would you say that range creation and range reading are the skills one should be working on to play these hands in early position? Or is there another skill set we should learn as a first step?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:):)

E

Elisondjp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
77 and 88 are strong enough hands that they are open raises from UTG in cash games, but are on the weakest part of that.

Certainly can be tough to play.
truth. it only looks great if carving a showdow is pretty much dominated.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't really play 77 or 88. So much money can be lost with a hand like that. Now 78 suited, I would be chomping at the bit to play.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really play 77 or 88. So much money can be lost with a hand like that. Now 78 suited, I would be chomping at the bit to play.

I agree with your thought on 87 suited, I myself prefer these hands to 77 or 88 big time, much nicer to play in my opinion at least you know where you stand with such a hand.

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have two cards and any two cards can win. Online, you will run into A-K a lot with mid pocket pairs. In a race situation, it seems like the ace on the flop always happens. Be careful racing preflop. Might as well just go with a preflop hand like that. You're either winning or losing. A chop is almost never going to happen in that situation.

L

lincs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on what your pre-flop 3-bet range is (If you only 3-bet your monsters pre flop) Then play them as 3-bet or fold. (If you can work that into your style)

It's just a suggestion for those cards. There are many different ways you could play them. If you never limp raise pre flop. You could say - Every time I get 2 black sevens, I'll 3 bet pre flop and bet 1.25X pot every single time
and every time I get 2 red sevens, I'll either limp raise, and give up if called or 4 bet, or just 6X 3-bet any action before you, then also give up afterwards

Then all your mixed 7s, just call preflop and give up if you don't hit the flop.

I've found that lots of different people have different card combinations, that they swear are the worst. And a lot of the time, they're all totally different from each other. So if everyone just looked at their range for a weak spot, and see if you can fill it with that hand - You've potentially paved the way for (that crappy hand I always get)

Have a plan already for when you land those whole cards and just execute. But of course, think about table position and the people you're playing against.

You're not going to want to 3 bet a 20BB short stack with the 77 unless you like flipping

hannamori

hannamori

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise the pre flop, but if my card doesn't show up and the other players limp, I try one more time, and if the card doesn't show up and someone tricks me fold .... kkkkkk
ps. google translate

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
1042/5000

as you say in your post these two hands are governed depending on the place you find yourself at the table if you are before the button is a good hand because you see the behavior of the other players, where it is preferable to pay to see the first three community cards and see if you form a strong hand, where ahcer flop is preferable is when you are in the top positions because there you are conditioned to the last players who could have a stronger hand and can raise your bet and thus risking a good percentage of your bench in those It is preferable to pay if the rise is not very strong and if someone goes with 30% of the blind, it is preferable to let go of the hand if you are in a large blind and if you are blind, it is always to pay taking into account how much you want to bank your bank and see how the game develops and if the community cards do not favor your game and there is a possible higher pair than 77 or 88 it is better to fold because if someone pays you there is 45% of them a good project or a pair higher than you

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
The Pocket 77 and 88 .... only play the games in the late positions for example from the button or from the cut-off with the intention of stealing the blinds ... since in the flop these pairs are difficult to play .. unless you have a good reading of your opponents

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like 7ns n 8ts ...you know where you're at. With Jacks you can fool yourself.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy to play. Usually one street of value.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Horrible misleading comment, don't post such trash in my threads please.:(

Berating someone for posting a thought in your thread is beneath you, my friend.You started the thread and asked the other members to express their opinions. This is a discussion forum, where regular people post their ideas, not scientific articles or tutorials for others to follow. That's exactly what Rahatis did, described his personal experience in a considerate and respectful way, which gives his post full fledged value.

You and Rahatis might think differently about how to play those hands, but from a discussion point of view all opinions are of equal value, for people have no obligation to be "correct", or "right". People come to discussion forums to read about how others like them think, and it is normal and expected to find a rainbow of different opinions.

And besides,his rationale might not make sense if compared with an odds calculator's statistical prediction, but he is talking about his own experience, real life, not a computer simulation. Depending on how many hands Rahatis had played, and how many times he had 88 and AA, and the way he played those hands, it is quite possible he actually made less money with AA than with 88.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find I am more willing to play these hands live than online. If there are a number of people limping in the pot, I will set mine them. Too much action before me and I fold.

If I have position against one opponent, I try to take my opponent into consideration. Lot of different ways to go there. And they can be right or wrong depending on the situation.

Early position I may raise if I am playing a very tight table. If I have a lot of action players behind me I likely get out of the way.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Berating someone for posting a thought in your thread is beneath you, my friend.You started the thread and asked the other members to express their opinions. This is a discussion forum, where regular people post their ideas, not scientific articles or tutorials for others to follow. That's exactly what Rahatis did, described his personal experience in a considerate and respectful way, which gives his post full fledged value.

You and Rahatis might think differently about how to play those hands, but from a discussion point of view all opinions are of equal value, for people have no obligation to be "correct", or "right". People come to discussion forums to read about how others like them think, and it is normal and expected to find a rainbow of different opinions.

And besides,his rationale might not make sense if compared with an odds calculator's statistical prediction, but he is talking about his own experience, real life, not a computer simulation. Depending on how many hands Rahatis had played, and how many times he had 88 and AA, and the way he played those hands, it is quite possible he actually made less money with AA than with 88.

I may have been a little bit to harsh, but this is a learning poker post. In learning poker posts we talk about the right way to do things, not post misleading things to confuse players that may need a hand in learning the game. In my opinion such a post did not belong here, I asked how people play said hands, not there far out experiences playing them. The comment was just a very misleading thing to say for a player trying to learn the proper way to play the game. I also think it is very low of you to call me out for calling out a horrible misleading comment. You may think you were in the right to defend it, but I do not believe you were at all. Defending horrible posts in someones thread is not a great thing to do. I realize we are all here to learn and talk about poker in general but in such a thread his post did not belong. AA are lesser that 88, come on, that is just pure ridiculous talk. I probably should have addressed it better when seeing it, but it was just the first thing that came to my mind. I may have been slightly out of line but the comment you made was as well. Trying to school someone because they made a post about how they feel about another persons post should be above you and you should have probably just went along with your business instead of calling me out. I realize I was slightly out of line but I hope you realize that you were as well for calling me out and trying to defend such a post in a learning poker thread. Cheers to you and I wish you the best in all your future en devours, maybe we can both think a little before we post such things. Good day.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I may have been a little bit to harsh, but this is a learning poker post. In learning poker posts we talk about the right way to do things, not post misleading things to confuse players that may need a hand in learning the game. In my opinion such a post did not belong here, I asked how people play said hands, not there far out experiences playing them. The comment was just a very misleading thing to say for a player trying to learn the proper way to play the game. I also think it is very low of you to call me out for calling out a horrible misleading comment. You may think you were in the right to defend it, but I do not believe you were at all. Defending horrible posts in someones thread is not a great thing to do. I realize we are all here to learn and talk about poker in general but in such a thread his post did not belong. AA are lesser that 88, come on, that is just pure ridiculous talk. I probably should have addressed it better when seeing it, but it was just the first thing that came to my mind. I may have been slightly out of line but the comment you made was as well. Trying to school someone because they made a post about how they feel about another persons post should be above you and you should have probably just went along with your business instead of calling me out. I realize I was slightly out of line but I hope you realize that you were as well for calling me out and trying to defend such a post in a learning poker thread. Cheers to you and I wish you the best in all your future en devours, maybe we can both think a little before we post such things. Good day.

Dear friend, you misunderstood me. I did not "call you out" primarily for being too harsh with Rahatis. I was actually trying to explain you why you were wrong about thinking that his post didn't have a place in your thread.

You see, you are the one who in the name of something good is willing to do something bad, since in the name of a hypothetical beginner who might stumble upon your thread trying to learn if AA is a better hand than 88, you are willing to burn up the stake one of your very real Cardschat fellow members.

The primary reason people come to a poker forum (besides the freerolls) is to find out how other people in the real World think about poker. People like Rahatis are very real and present out there, at the poker tables, and he was a rare bird who was willing to be honest about it, hence adding great learning value to the thread. These people are vastly underrepresented on the forum already, mainly because of the berating and hate they receive from people like you, because you're not alone, my friend, there are many like you who are willing to offend others in the name of "correctness".
I have seen a case of a moderator being bullied into changing a thread's name and moving it from the learning section to the general poker because of complaints from strategy "purists".

People like Rahatis don't start playing or thinking differently because of the berating they receive, but they simply stop posting on the forum or they start saying what seems to be accepted by others instead of their true thoughts, so the forum instead of being a sample of reality becomes a make belief version where everyone seems to be playing "correctly", and where only worshipers of the Poker Book and Odds Calculator come to find comfort and complain about how unlucky they are when reality slaps them in the face.

poker books are an excellent guidance for everyone, but poker should not be treated like a cult where people who chose to ignore the general advise from books and articles are accused of blasphemy and berated into silence. Instead they should be valued for their contribution towards keeping the forum healthy and representative of the real World of poker.

Again, this is an exchange of ideas, and regardless of us being in agreement or not, I have only respect and consideration for you, as a fellow discussion partner.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By definition middle pairs can be good/playable only against 1 opponent, unless you catch trips. I keep this in mind and watch the circumstances. It may pay off to re-raise pre-flop to shake some people off and then look for the flop. If flop reveals only 1 overcard - you are in a good position to barrel some more.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear friend, you misunderstood me. I did not "call you out" primarily for being too harsh with Rahatis. I was actually trying to explain you why you were wrong about thinking that his post didn't have a place in your thread.

You see, you are the one who in the name of something good is willing to do something bad, since in the name of a hypothetical beginner who might stumble upon your thread trying to learn if AA is a better hand than 88, you are willing to burn up the stake one of your very real Cardschat fellow members.

The primary reason people come to a poker forum (besides the freerolls) is to find out how other people in the real World think about poker. People like Rahatis are very real and present out there, at the poker tables, and he was a rare bird who was willing to be honest about it, hence adding great learning value to the thread. These people are vastly underrepresented on the forum already, mainly because of the berating and hate they receive from people like you, because you're not alone, my friend, there are many like you who are willing to offend others in the name of "correctness".
I have seen a case of a moderator being bullied into changing a thread's name and moving it from the learning section to the general poker because of complaints from strategy "purists".

People like Rahatis don't start playing or thinking differently because of the berating they receive, but they simply stop posting on the forum or they start saying what seems to be accepted by others instead of their true thoughts, so the forum instead of being a sample of reality becomes a make belief version where everyone seems to be playing "correctly", and where only worshipers of the Poker Book and Odds Calculator come to find comfort and complain about how unlucky they are when reality slaps them in the face.

Poker books are an excellent guidance for everyone, but poker should not be treated like a cult where people who chose to ignore the general advise from books and articles are accused of blasphemy and berated into silence. Instead they should be valued for their contribution towards keeping the forum healthy and representative of the real World of poker.

Again, this is an exchange of ideas, and regardless of us being in agreement or not, I have only respect and consideration for you, as a fellow discussion partner.
Ok... I love 88 because it's easier folded than aces and you get paid when you hit. I'm not going to write an article for you to feel better. Just having fun in the forums. Good luck at the tables! (You are going to need it) [emoji41]

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Poker books are an excellent guidance for everyone, but poker should not be treated like a cult where people who chose to ignore the general advise from books and articles are accused of blasphemy and berated into silence. Instead they should be valued for their contribution towards keeping the forum healthy and representative of the real World of poker.

I understand what your saying, good luck in all your poker ventures.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok... I love 88 because it's easier folded than aces and you get paid when you hit. I'm not going to write an article for you to feel better. Just having fun in the forums. Good luck at the tables! (You are going to need it) [emoji41][/QUOTE

Good luck to you too! Keep having fun, and please don't write an article to make feel better, there's absolutely need for that :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing tournament, it depends on your stack size and the stage of the tournament to determine how aggressively to play them.

If playing cash, it's best to play them conservatively. Try to see the flop cheaply and fold to aggression if you don't flop a set.

I see players go nuts with them and way overplay them. Chip donations.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, Guys! I think with such hands, as 77 or 88, and similar: 55 or 66, 66 or 77, 88 or 99, and etc. the all depends not from
General Standart recommendations, but your Personality Statistics with such hands, if you doing and review her, of course...
But I'm noticed, that low pair often wins more high pair, catching set... Or me seem?.. Anyway, there is no definite answer by my opinion. And anyway, this is Coinflip...:jd4:Therefore, I can only to wish Good Luck everyone in such moments of Game!;):cool: