Total posts
Chips
Smashing out a stack of pushups or dips always seems to work well for me

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As mentioned above, the more experience, the more you get used to it.

Still a badbeat can upset me sometimes....for maybe 2 seconds.
I think I've seen enough of them, so I don't worry about it anymore.

What I do however, is going to the HH and analyse the hand.
Did I play the hand wrong ? If yes I don't even consider it a badbeat anymore but just blame myself for having made a mistake.
If I played the hand well, it makes me feel good I did.

So actually I make a learning experience outof badbeats.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah , you're right , only a few hands are true bad beats. Most of them are not played right. For example , yesterday I had K J and the flop was K J 2. I was thinking I could win a lot from this hand , so I tried a slowplay , I didn't bet , I just called if anybody would raise , planing to reraise on the river. And the turn was a Q and the river was a 10 and I lost the hand (one player had A 4). So , the point is , if I would have bet I would have folded him and I would have won the hand.

F

FLOnaldoRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a good question . This maybe depends by pot / money invested probably .
However,this it's the part of poker and if we lose , we hate him.
And when we win with a bad beat we are like in the heaven .
So we need to accept the bad beats to,it's part of game and the Michael Paler solution it's the best from those solutions .
Keep calm , and don't let the bad beat's to influence your game play .

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My old technique was to just not let it effect me and move on, maintaining my A game, but lately I've been getting angry and it makes me play bad and chase the game or make loose calls, so now if I take a few bad beats or have a few coolers, I just quit. I know that I'm effected by those hands, even if I try to ignore their existence.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The last sick bad beat I delivered was when I shoved J3o UTG after losing a big hand and I didn't even have 2BB left. The flop came AQ2, turn and river were 4 and 5, one of the callers had QQ and another one had A2. I had so few chips left that there were four callers in the pot, so I actually added a bit to my stack.

Of course, when you shove 88 against KK and the villain wins the pot, that's not a bad beat.

Games with an element of chance will always have these things happen, so we have to either learn to deal with it, or if we can't deal with then it's time to play something else.

Just remember the bad beats you delivered, or better yet write down a list of the sickest ones so that you don't feel like you're always getting the short end of the stick. I was in a Carbon freeroll a while back and delivered at least 6 huge bad beats, including hitting a 2-outer to make a better full house against a flopped full house, running straights, running flushes, etc. It probably helped that I was playing much looser than I normally do, but after having fought a cold deck for the longest time it was fun.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually shout "For f*** sake you lucky c***" (girlfriend then shouts "Stop swearing at the computer!!") before finding my inner Mr Spock and deciding to be logical about it before the next hand.

K

KonSingkit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a sip of whatever your drinking... a *sigh*... punch your monitor. now the last part may make you think twice and that should do it. just play on.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to know how you all feel when I put one on ya....:D:D;)

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about tilt control. Read up on Jared Tendler and Tommy Angelo, both offer great material on managing your emotions and controlling tilt.

I won't say I'm 100% tilt-free, but it takes a lot to get me to the point of quitting. I just laugh it off now.

For example, just last night I was multi-tabling DONs on Revolution and was in several games with Eric "Rizen" Lynch. Twice within about 15 minutes he and I got all-in with him being crushed, and both times he rivered me. Since he's the poker room manager at Lock I joked with myself (chat is disabled in DONs at Revo or I would have told him) about posting in the Rigged thread here, accusing him of super-using against me, LOL. But I busted/crippled him on other tables too, so it was a wash really.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's all about tilt control. Read up on Jared Tendler and Tommy Angelo, both offer great material on managing your emotions and controlling tilt.

I won't say I'm 100% tilt-free, but it takes a lot to get me to the point of quitting. I just laugh it off now.

For example, just last night I was multi-tabling DONs on Revolution and was in several games with Eric "Rizen" Lynch. Twice within about 15 minutes he and I got all-in with him being crushed, and both times he rivered me. Since he's the poker room manager at Lock I joked with myself (chat is disabled in DONs at Revo or I would have told him) about posting in the Rigged thread here, accusing him of super-using against me, LOL. But I busted/crippled him on other tables too, so it was a wash really.
I Agree.

Also, I have noticed that it does seem like 'getting rivered' happens a lot in same time frame of playing. If I get rivered once during a setting, it will likely happen again and again during the same night etc. At least, sometimes it sort of seems like 'good luck' and 'bad luck' runs in threes. :) Wally :)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its just a matter of experience. Bad beats used to really bother me. I used to get so mad and think about them, especially if they were deep in tourneys.

Lately ive noticed that i just have taken so many thousands in my lifetime that i dont even blink an eye anymore. They are expected and are as common as drinking a glass of water.

Getting mad is not going to make you win the hand.Whats done is done. Forget about it instantly and keep working. It 's like a routine. Keep doing the right thing and if the result is not what you wanted,just forget about it and try again.

I can honestly say that i rarely tilt anymore. Especially when playing cash. Unless i've lost like 5 or more buy ins where ill just switch it off and say to myself: Pick it up tomorrow.

p.s: expect less ,get more.
Exactly. Another way to cope is get a little "wind therapy" on the bike.

I hardly ever get to the point of TILT ... It is POKER and in Poker, sometimes s**t happens (life also) ... accept it and 'learn' from it if you can, but "tilt" is simply non-productive.

Wally

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When ever I get a bad beat I can stop and think of all the times I did to other players. Then it feels less bad.

I also remember that if I am beat then it really doesn't mater how badly I am beaten because I was going to lose most likely. (in less I had good outs)

J

jmonking67

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You just gotta take it easy and know that you got your money in good but got sucked out on. I dont mind taking bad beats aslong as I know i simply got unlucky and it's not a play flaw. :)

P

ph0n3_j4ck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now, i just take beats like they're normal. It's easier at stakes that fit your bankroll because you don't really lose that much compared to your bankroll (I'm assuming you have good bankroll management). You're bound to win more if you can just stay calm and play good poker.

INGAJ

INGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing with laptop, so if i got bad bead i have nothing to throw to anywhere . So if i have nothing to broke i do nothing

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
No time to brood over a beat, the next hand is being dealt.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Beat Solution

Add 2 bad beats for every 6oz. of water. Stir until dissolved. You must drink it relatively quickly or the bad beads will tend to precipitate out.

30pointbuck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning or losing at poker is not about bad beats. It is about bad play. If you play bad, you will lose money in the long run. If you play good, you will take some bad beats, but you will come out ahead in the long run.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea tilt. Everybody knows it, even the best of the best :) Me personaly I always take a break after bad beat if its possible. But if you would like to destroy something after that, I recommend to put some old thing on your table so you will be prepared to throw it or punch it or whatever you want :D And you will not destroy your mouse, keyboard, monitor etc..:D

_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is only one way to never get bad beated at poker, and that is to just quit playing poker. But who wants to do that anyways. lol soooo get a tilt room

J

joefun10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play right another time you will win

cardsking

cardsking

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best possible thing is Play one hand at a time :)
Dont let the previous hand effect your play , whether you lose or Win .
Dont get exicited or dont get sad :)
Just play for that moment :D And see the results yourself
Good luck :D