You vs You

ramorleans

ramorleans

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Behind the glitz and glam, poker can be a solitary game.

With no teammates to rely on, poker can be a mental battle that is fought alone. But for some, the solitude is a welcomed challenge.

Would you agree that your biggest opponent at the poker table is yourself?

Grabobbe

Grabobbe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
Definately… I tend to get bored and start betting crazy at some point. Og get provoked to do something I shouldn’t. When I manage my temper and boredom, it’s actually going pretty well. 😊

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Absolutely. Concentration is my biggest problem, even after 10 minutes my mind can drift, for example right now I'm playing, but here I'm typing a comment.
Yes I can relate. I'm often on the forum when playing poker ^^
But to be fair tournaments take a long time ...yesterday I played almost 7hrs in a micromillions event so I think there's nothing wrong with something on the side like CardsChat forum or watching a show/movie.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Alright, agree on many things said, but many times, even when you play accordingly to what you should do, with the right decisions you should make, there will be always a time when the biggest opponent won't be you, so poker isn't a solitary game at all. Rather that is still a war between players This is how I see it.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing reflexion about poker life, it's true, something we fail and blame to the destiny, but we can always try to do it better

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, specially when I lose my patience and start to play with hands that I usually don't play or when I don't follow my bankroll management.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alright, agree on many things said, but many times, even when you play accordingly to what you should do, with the right decisions you should make, there will be always a time when the biggest opponent won't be you, so poker isn't a solitary game at all. Rather that is still a war between players This is how I see it.
Can't even say better! Even with a perfect game, you can be outplayed by a strong skilled player.

ramorleans

ramorleans

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same issue since I have ADHD.
Absolutely. Concentration is my biggest problem, even after 10 minutes my mind can drift, for example right now I'm playing, but here I'm typing a comment.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

With no teammates to rely on, poker can be a mental battle that is fought alone. But for some, the solitude is a welcomed challenge.

I would fully agree that is true. Oddly once someone asked who you feared most as a player. I said it was me as I know I am human and i make mistakes.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Probably, because I'm not the easiest person to keep in line. I'm a very curious person and if I have a nut flush draw, it takes a lot of mental arguing with myself to not chase it all of the way. :)
Definately… I tend to get bored and start betting crazy at some point. Og get provoked to do something I shouldn’t. When I manage my temper and boredom, it’s actually going pretty well. 😊
I definitely agree with the boredom, well it's more daydreaming. I start thinking about something and all of a sudden the table will go silent and everyone is staring at me while waiting for me to play. LOL!! At least online it starts making noise to grab my attention. :)

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fully agree that my biggest enemy at the tables is myself. My psychology often knocks me down, I'm working on it and I'm getting good results. And I don't mind the loneliness, it's important for my concentration

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I totally agree.I am my biggest opponent. The challenge is to stay focus during long sessions and of course to control my emotions in case of colder or bad beat.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Sometimes if you are your rival... you have to have a lot of temperance in adverse situations in the game!!! follow and not give up on the objectives set... that is the secret of success... greetings

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, I agree that my biggest opponent at the poker table is myself. Self-control and self-discipline are the most important qualities for a poker player. Solitude is an integral part of playing poker. A poker player is a lone warrior, successful poker is for the strong

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is that definite possibility since it's up to the individual to make the reads to make the right play. Especially after a hand that you had to give up for whatever reason. Yeah, I agree we can beat ourselves up way more than another player can.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
yes, trying not to tilt and keep cool

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Regulating and maintaining your own playing style, making the right decisions and not tilting is defo part of the game and part of the game you can control. Put poker is essentially a game against others though, but working on your own psychology and playing style is just is important and the part you have the impact on.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is psychological stability, then playing poker is fine.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A person without problems is either a corpse or an idiot.:) One problem is already obvious - inflated self-esteem:mad:
First and foremost...Hello!!!
Second: If you can read what I think you know, and understand what our friend posted, the question is whether you have a problem with yourself at a poker table.
Third: I don't need self-esteem. I only have the security that God gives me for myself.
Fourth: I didn't say I don't have problems!!! Everyone has problems and we must face problems. And if you don't have problems, you don't have to be a corpse or an idiot. Otherwise you will be blessed by God.
Fifth: I am answering because I consider myself a stable and educated person, as I am with all the friends I have in this beautiful forum.
And lastly, if you want to judge someone, judge yourself first. Take a look in the mirror and see what you see. At least I don't judge anyone.
Maybe I could have taken your comment as a constructive criticism to help me improve, and I would appreciate it.
But I really don't see any of that, it just seems like an aggressive comment that I really don't deserve because I consider myself a very friendly person.
If you are interested in attacking because you have problems, I am not the indicated path.
Greetings and blessings;);););););)

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello brother
My biggest concern at a table is my opponents.
I have no problems with myself
Greetings:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
A person without problems is either a corpse or an idiot.:) One problem is already obvious - inflated self-esteem:mad:
That was uncalled for.

If he really had an inflated self esteem, he would've said his opponents are not a concern.

muzenza2012

muzenza2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, it's just a solitary game, especially if you play online, in my case, I'm alone, and the game keeps me company, I don't know if that's good or bad, but I know that time passes.