"You think long you think wrong"

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
I don't agree with that phrase. I often make mistakes because I don't have more time to think and not be able to count the value combos and the bluff combos

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't see a relationship between thinking too much and making mistakes. I also don't see a relationship between thinking little and making mistakes. It's not about the time you spend thinking. The most important thing is the mindset you adopt in the game. When I can concentrate, really concentrate, I rarely make mistakes. Of course, in Poker the randomness factor can destroy you no matter how logical you are. But when that happens, just move on. There is nothing to learn there.
Finally, don't worry about the time it takes to think, but rather about the quality of that thought.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Can anybody agree with this phrase?
It depends on what this phrase is used for. If we are talking about poker and the player making a decision, then in my opinion this phrase is not an axiom. Whether a player thinks for a long time or makes a decision quickly depends primarily on his experience and skills. On the contrary, I believe that players who make hasty and impulsive decisions will be more prone to mistakes.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello. I agree that long deliberations are not necessarily a sign of wrong decisions. And yes, it depends on what you are using your time for. Experience here is crucial.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't agree at all.
Actually I think you should place yourself in a particular play or hand.
I believe that when faced with a poker hand, thinking must be logical.
When you place yourself in the logic of a situation, faced with a limit situation you start thinking about what your rival would do, then the decisions are generally good.
For any example, suppose you are in a bounty tournament, you are in BB with 79 BB with A4s, comfortably located and an opponent is in CO with 11 BB and goes all in. In truth, let's agree, your hand is not the best to call, but you must logically analyze what you would do in that situation with that hand. Let's agree that if this opponent was folding a lot of poor hands because he didn't have any interesting ones, until in his hands he had, for example, KQo, and due to the position he decided to go all in. If you pay and nothing comes out in the showdown for the doas, not only do you win the bounty but you also place yourself better in the MTT. The worst that can happen is that you lose your hand and are left with 68 BB.
Sometimes the possibility of losing opens up and you think badly and negatively, when when faced with a logical thought your hand can become a great hand even if it is not.
That's why I think it's best to have logical thinking.
Greetings:):):)

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Sometimes when you think long it gives you right choice and results and sometimes when you think long you think wrong with bad results, it could go both ways.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
It doesn't apply to me, I can only speak about that. It could still be true in general.

My worst decisions are quick decisions when I don't take the time to think about things, and I sometimes make very stupid plays. I remember a hand I played 2 days ago where I don't even know why I called in. Before I knew it I quickly clicked that mouse button and it was idiotic.

I was playing a cash game in a 4-bet pot with Ah Kh, effective stacks around 325BB. Flop was 266, one heart. I bet 1/3rd pot out of position, it was called. Turn 8h, giving me the nut flush draw. I bet 1/3rd pot again and my opponent moved all-in. I didn't have the odds to call to hit the flush and I called anyway very quickly without even thinking. I did it almost instantly. Dumb! I did hit the flush on the river but lost anyway as opponent had 88 and a full house.

I wouldn't normally think they'd have any 2 or 6, or even an 8 in a 4 bet pot although we were deep-stacked so it makes a difference and they can here. The 88 did surprise me a little but not too much. Even so I was behind to AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10 10 which would be a big part of their range and I wasn't getting the odds to make the call. I don't really beat any bluffs apart from AQ suited and I was blocking the Ah Qh flush draw as I had Ah Kh myself so it's a negative blocker. The only hope was perhaps some tied pot if villain was taking a big punt and jamming AK of their own.

If I took some time to think about it I'd have folded. It took less than second to call for some reason.

The only consolation is that I know how wrong this was, and that I can fix similar errors in the future by thinking things through.

Last edited:
MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm gonna have to go with no, most people don't think it through enough they're just clicking buttons....

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are different situations in life. In some of them your statement is true, in others it is not. There is no one recipe for everything.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you think for a long time, you can change your mind and make a mistake, which is what you say in this title. So don't think too much to outplay yourself in your head, think a little bit about the average amount of time and decide then you'll be wrong

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Stay in the moment. Don't focus on future. Don't chase the dream, be in the day.
Enjoy yourself now as later you may not have the luxury to do so.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It does not matter. You simply remember more about the lost hand that you spent more time thinking about.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Don't completely agree but then I likely play faster then a lot of players. But then I'm always thinking 1-2 steps ahead every decision every hand. By the time I act when it's my turn I almost always know what I'm gonna do if I'm called or re-raised by villain. I also tend to take the same amount of time with decisions whether playing live or online. Taking the same amount of time every hand to make a decision is simply a habit now from playing so much online where timing can be a tell.

Depending on villain when playing live I may take a bit of extra time if I know it will make villain nervous and I'll get a tell outta him. With that said I'll never a guy accused of playing too slow. I actually don't enjoy playing live all that because there's always that one guy who has to take forever every decision every hand no matter what. Just to insanely annoying and maddening.

Cheers!!!

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In some circumstances this is true. But in most, the long time usage is just a rookie manoevre. It is wasting time because someone thinks that is what players are meant to do. Yes, there are times when you need more time to work things out, byut generally, if you don't know what you should do in the first few seconds, you should probably be folding.

If this is a live game, and we're taling about talking time pre-flop, I think the delay is even worse for you -- especially if you look at your hole cards for a long time too. Nobody with AA or AKs ever had to look at their cards for a long time. So whenever anyone looks for a long time, you can gnerally expect it to be a couple crappy connectors, probably not even suited. (But the faster the look, generally the stronger and more suited the hand is.).

I totally disagree with the "don't worry how long it takes" approach. It is well known that agressive players target those who take a long time deciding. For two reasons -- 1) they are clearly uncertain/lack the ability to make quick decisions. and 2) They are annoying so I want them off my table. If you have a +EV strategy, playing slower means you will have fewer hands/fewer opportunities to run your strategy through. That means slow players are losing you money. I am always bemused by people who constantly run the clock down. They clearl;y don't realise that they are throwing away their edge one clock tick at a time.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend, I think that on the contrary, if you analyze a play well, in the long run you will make better decisions. I mean that thinking too much in poker is not out of place, of course taking into account what type of opponent you have in front of you.