Can you find a fold here?

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really a simple question. Can you fold a big pair to an AIPF? I was in a game earlier when I got a very decent hand, now the thing was that, I seriously had no reads on this player, not to mention he was new to the table, and the game just began, anyways, I'm wondering what conditions are there for ppl to fold big pairs preflop?

Last edited:
StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I have folded QQ preflop before, not often though.
Could you give some hand history info on how the betting took place? Would be easier to answer if you had reason to believe you may have been beaten preflop or not.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I have folded QQ preflop before, not often though.
Could you give some hand history info on how the betting took place? Would be easier to answer if you had reason to believe you may have been beaten preflop or not.

There's really nothing to say, I'll provide the hand history with it and all, but I seriously doubt It would've made a difference in my situation:(. The thing was though, this player pushed ALPF, no raises ahead nothing, just seriously pushed:confused:

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's the Hand history btw

pokerstars Game #27158218289: Tournament #156315970, 15FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2009/04/16 14:22:06 ET
Table '156315970 11' 10-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: soniacz (5850 in chips)
Seat 2: CanuckDiver (1365 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: TripleJaze (1855 in chips)
Seat 4: agphustler (1275 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: colo4711 (2910 in chips)
Seat 6: Arleen57 (4735 in chips)
Seat 7: Trumanski (1350 in chips)
Seat 8: abdi122 (3690 in chips)
Seat 9: monika5 (2200 in chips)
Seat 10: luciano333 (6775 in chips)
Trumanski: posts small blind 75
abdi122: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to abdi122 [Qh Qc]
monika5: folds
luciano333: folds
soniacz: folds
CanuckDiver: folds
TripleJaze: calls 150
agphustler: folds
colo4711: raises 2760 to 2910 and is all-in
Arleen57: folds
Trumanski: folds
abdi122: raises 780 to 3690 and is all-in
TripleJaze: folds
Uncalled bet (780) returned to abdi122
*** FLOP *** [3c 6s Jh]
abdi122 said, "wow"
*** TURN *** [3c 6s Jh] [8d]
*** RIVER *** [3c 6s Jh 8d] [7s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
abdi122: shows [Qh Qc] (a pair of Queens)
colo4711: shows [Ad As] (a pair of Aces)
colo4711 collected 6045 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6045 | Rake 0
Board [3c 6s Jh 8d 7s]
Seat 1: soniacz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: CanuckDiver folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: TripleJaze folded before Flop
Seat 4: agphustler folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: colo4711 showed [Ad As] and won (6045) with a pair of Aces
Seat 6: Arleen57 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Trumanski (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: abdi122 (big blind) showed [Qh Qc] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 9: monika5 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 10: luciano333 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This a tough one. I will be curious how others respond to this.

I'm attempting to think this through while pretending I don't know what the villian has.

You are in the bb with a great starting hand, everyone folds around to villian except 1 limper. The villian is new to table therefore no reads on him. It's early in the tourney and you have him covered. Position isn't an issue as it's an all in.

I would be worried about the limper, possible squeeze play, not too worried, but something to think about.

Early in the tourney you have the freedom to lay down this hand and not risk so much. You also have the possibility to double up giving yourself a great chip lead early on which of course is very beneficial.

Is this person a possible LAG attempting to steal the blinds or a tight and weak noob who gets excited with a big pair and doesn't know how to play them and just shoves?

I guess the call really would depend on how I feel that day. Have I had a good run and feel like taking the risk or have I been stuggling all day? I know this isn't a logical response based on independent hand evaluations, odds, etc;.

If it's the first, I make the call knowing I have him covered with the chance to double up and have a nice chip lead in which I can bully a few short stacks and give myself the chance to make the final table.

If it's the later, I begrudgingly lay the hand down and wait for a better situation to play the hand instead of playing bingo.

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah this early on I'd have made the same call. There's two hands that can beat you and for him to go all in with no re-raises and just sat down for his whole stack. you had him covered also, I definitely would have made the call here also.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah this early on I'd have made the same call. There's two hands that can beat you and for him to go all in with no re-raises and just sat down for his whole stack. you had him covered also, I definitely would have made the call here also.

It's the push that really had me convinced this player was either bluffing or really trying to make some sort of move, or had a hand like AK/AQ/AJ/JJ/10S, you know some hand of that nature but to push preflop with AA:confused:? With not many limpers, or raisers or anything, was likw wow.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's the push that really had me convinced this player was either bluffing or really trying to make some sort of move, or had a hand like AK/AQ/AJ/JJ/10S, you know some hand of that nature but to push preflop with AA:confused:? With not many limpers, or raisers or anything, was likw wow.

He has an M of 13, any preflop raise commits him and he might be hoping it looks exactly like you read it, anything BUT AA's.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen people do this with AK,AQ,JJ , i'd call with QQ this early, it's just a cooler imo chances are when somebody has a KK to your QQ the moneys going in on the flop anyways unless an ace or a king comes.

I like to take chances early on in an mtt to try and build a decent stack, this includes coin flips, if i thought he could possibly be on AK then i call every time and start being a big bully when i double through early on :D

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would find it really hard to get away from QQ in this spot too.

All I can say is at least he didn't bust you.

IMO, you made the right play.

G

GrisGrisAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is villain dependent for me. Also it depends on my stack. To be honest its hard for me to get away here...he could just as easily had JJ or AKs depending on his range. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Folding in Poker