Can you be a "professional" poker player

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well obviously but if you put in the volume at the micro stakes where the donks flourish haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

N

NewbieOfPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
earlier poker was without luck, but today it is only on luck, because lucker with 1 out get it on the river every time...

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's proven with the number of professionals who have been making a living out of poker for many years consistently. A good winning player, could give an estimate of their yearly earnings based on their stakes. Of course though, many also fail but trying to explain to people who don't understand poker properly will be like talking to a brick wall as they just see it as gambling and luck. It's simply just a lack of being uneducated in poker, I think most of us all thought poker was outright gambling and like any other sort of house game at first until we became educated.

It would be like them saying to you, that you could earn a living from roulette, we know it's impossible so would say no but they can't see the difference between poker and roulette and think it's all gambling so it's understandable to that degree.

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you should ask yourself... If you are making lets say 1.5x or double what you would make in a job you would be likely to have through poker then would you really care if muggins earning less than you is calling you an amateur?

I know i wouldn't, you could say ok i play poker for a living or poker is my job just reword it as its pretty much the same thing!

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is your only form of income and it pays the bills then wouldnt that be a profession?

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You aren't going to be able to convince your family anyways. They are not changing their minds.

You said earlier they think it's all luck, no skill, whatever....

This just isn't true.

However, playing poker is a tough way to make an easy living. One would have to be pretty good to make a living from it.

If you want to convince your family, keep improving and learning. Crush the game and live off your profits.

Then tell them "I told you so."

And jump in the car you bought with money from donkeys and drive off into the sunset.......

MiamiMadePunk

MiamiMadePunk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You aren't going to be able to convince your family anyways. They are not changing their minds.

You said earlier they think it's all luck, no skill, whatever....

This just isn't true.

However, playing poker is a tough way to make an easy living. One would have to be pretty good to make a living from it.

If you want to convince your family,Win a major tournament worth $1 million or more. Crush the game and live off your profits.

Then tell them "I told you so."

And jump in the car you bought with money from donkeys and drive off into the sunset.......
Fixed;)

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^.^ I think a few peoples dreams see right there in thst text lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may not have an exact set monthly income but you can calculate on average how much you can/will make (sure there are swings up and down that can fluctuate this number)
...this also describes any kind of professional consultant...
how many programming gigs will I have this week? Next? Hard to say...
but over the years I do have an annual "average" net return on my effort...
while it isn't a salary, it is a profession none the less...and when times are lean it becomes more like the oldest profession...and "anything for a buck" (software development wise ;) ) starts to sound good :eek:
S3mper;225The IRS sure treats poker as a profession...[/QUOTE said:
..as they tend to do anything that you make more money then you spend over a years time...

W

wardy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think calling yourself a professional poker player is similar to people who call themselves professional photographers. At what point does someone become a professional photographer? I think in the case of people who make a living playing poker, but aren't world renowned superstars, the title is typically self-appointed.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite a few professionals are not paid fixed salaries. One example is tour golfers whose income, is dependent on their performance in tournaments. In other areas, consider doctors who only get paid when they actually provide services, and consultants who only get paid when they work on assignments.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a provision in the tax code that offers the opportunity to classify yourself as a gambler. In order to claim any losses one must chose to be a gambler.

So perhaps by definition, a pro player is anyone who claims to be a gambler on their tax forms.

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was making a decent living from just poker I would consider myself a professional, it would be my profession. There is some luck involved yes, the trick is to effectilvely minimise the need for it.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can be professional poker player. Take any job that you do, if someone decides not to pay you, does that mean you are not a professional. Example, a Dr. Send you a bill, you decide not to pay him. Does that mean the Dr. is not a professional? No. It sounds like to me your family doesn't want you to become a poker player..

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was arguing with my family about this topic. Given that the definition of professional is that you are paid some sort of salary. Given that poker has an element of luck to it and you are gambling, can you actually be a professional.

It is in my belief that you can be but I need some educated forumers to back me up here. My family argues that since you are not payed a set salary for being skilled in it you can't be a professional. They say no matter how good you are, or how much u make, you will always be an amateur

Thoughts?

Edit: I reread your original post, using your dictionary, no you aren't since you're not paid a salary since it's not a fixed amount.
The word has multiple correct meanings.

^ By that definition, then anyone who works for commission is not a professional, either. Car sales people, real estate agents, etc. would not be "professionals."

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think there are pro poker players.. We can split hairs all day lol..

Here is the definition that our good friend Google supplied to me

"(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime"

Based off of this I would say yes.

Just because Poker players have downswings doesn't mean anything.. Dr's have downswings.. they get sued all THE time..

Z

ZeroThirtySeven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The "Professional" poker players get sponsorship deals when they play in Televised poker tournaments or cash games. That would be their salary.

chipstacker

chipstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you spend more than 3 days a week doing something for more than 6 hours at a time. I think that would def constitute a job and thus you become a professional because it is what you make your llving from.

timko12

timko12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is dc trying to play poker better? want to make a career out of it, to get professional players?
What should I do to live poker? (To pay bills, to feed, dress, etc.)
We've compiled a list of what I think you need to succeed.
-time
-money for even 3 months consumption (food rent ..)
a substantial bankroll somewhat
a possible strategy poker revenue (not to eat what you win, but to increase your bankroll
-seriousness, work and sacrifice
a security measure against tilt (you lose one evening you have done in a month exp, personal: D)
So much for now, come to reply. Ideas and opinions

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I regard someone as a professional only if they are paid to do something. I was a professional journalist, but I was not paid to take photographs; however when I took photographs I was usually paid. But I always said I was an amateur photographer.
But I suspect that the average man in the street would consider anyone whose main income is from a sport or profession to be a professional - although I am a purist and would disagree.
Among poker players many of the big-names who most of you would regard as 'professionals' have huge losses some years. How can you regard them as professionals? At what point do they stop being professionals? When they go bankrupt? They should be described simply as Poker Players.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you can actually make a living from playing poker professionally. I Have 2 buddies who still play and make a good living even post black Friday.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has a different opinion about the word professional but let's not make it so complicated.
My humble opinion is that if you manage to earn some good money from poker and walk slowly forward so glorious you are a professional for yourself.