Can you get addicted to playing poker like smoking cigarettes?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
yes poker can gradually become a drug without which it is difficult to live

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Personally, after losing, and if the losses are also very offensive, the desire to play disappears for several days. But I know an example of my friend's brother's addiction, who spends all of his salary on poker, trying to win back losses all the time. He constantly borrows money, in the hope that today he will win back everything and earn money, but this does not happen. He had previously played the card game Swara, where his bluffs were a success. With this old baggage of bluffing, he does it all the time in poker, not realizing that there are a lot of combinations in poker.:cool:

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
everything can cause addiction, not only poker, I think it's a personal issue, the time you spend playing the game, the point is that some people take it as a hobby, others take it as a routine and that's where you can or may not fall into addiction:D

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are lost in playing poker, do you want to win more tomorrow? Are you in addiction status? I do not like play to much every day .
I do not think it is a matter of being addicted to poker as it is addicted to gambling. A per that is addicted will find another way to bet if poker was taken away. Poker is a sport that needs to be practised and in time you will get better. If you do not get better, like all sports stop, it is just not for you to play. So sponsor good players as you would bet on a team to win.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably you can. They have the "play responsible" warnings for a reason.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I quit smoking very easily. Can't quit playing poker tho.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes of course you can become addict of poker.
You can win fast money or lose fast, emotional rollercoaster is there

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can get addicted to poker. You have to gamble responsibly but in some cases people are not able to control it. Unfortunately that can become a huge problem if they continue to increase their betting amount to recoup their losses

L

lololi11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
Addiction is a behavioral pattern that is often characterized by impaired control over the behavior, compulsive engagement in the behavior despite adverse consequences, and a higher priority given to the behavior over other activities.

Addiction to cigarettes and addiction to playing poker are two different things. The former is a physical addiction while the latter is an emotional one. Addiction to playing poker does not involve physiological dependence but it does involve psychological dependence in my own humble opinion.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A person can get addicted to anything. There are addictions that benefit a person, and there are those that harm. The main thing in any business is self-control, in fact it is not so difficult.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Smokig is addiction to a substance.
Cardgames can give phsychic addiction for the thrill, for the wictory, for the money.
They're different and i think the first one is more adictive, from the second one you can get rid of easier

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If someone has an addictive nature, then yes smoking, gambling and anything of that nature can be addictive.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is much more enjoyable than smoking. So stop smoking and play poker.:):):)

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a gambling game and it's easy to get addicted to it, just like other games.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
can get addicted to anything, i just play for fun though, not everyday

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no, I think you can be recklessly addicted to poker and gambling in general and lose a lot of money, but on the other hand poker can be extremely beneficial, with respect it can teach you self control, emotional control, discipline, level headness, how and where to spot opportunities, how to stay positive, how not to get down when things are bad, how to stay positive, how to keep going, self responsibility and many many more aspects which can be transferred into other aspects of one's life,
The grind is real.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello.
I don't think poker should be compared to smoking.
Poker is definitely a game of chance and at the moment some players can't stop until the score is close to zero. But here the excitement and lack of self-control play rather than some kind of habit. But when the excitement passes, thoughts become clear.
Smoking is already a bad habit. The body always requires cigarettes, and this is very bad. Quitting smoking with experience is very difficult, and sometimes impossible. Yes, there are health risks.
Poker is bad for health? Of course not)

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
When you are lost in playing poker, do you want to win more tomorrow? Are you in addiction status? I do not like play to much every day .
i will definitely say yes you can get addicted to playing poker, well not playing poker per say but the incentive of wining and taking risk, is what most people are addicted to . i loaded 120 us a couple days ago and lost all through tilt because of continuous bad beats literally, always had the best hand on the flop with premium hands and my opponents get runner runners to beat me with trips or flush or straight

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker affects me like a sport that you can't run away from.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can get addicted to anything) the main thing here is not to get addicted, but still card games are not drugs

urubudopoker

urubudopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Cigarettes end your health, poker ends your financial life, which is why you have to have a strong psychological personality. When it comes to poker it is easy to solve, set aside a portion of the money that will not harm you financially, stop it if you lose this amount! and only play the following month (discipline)
Now I advise you to stop smoking at once, in the future it will harm you a lot and there is no going back! my humble opinion experienced!

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi friend.

Luckily I quit smoking over 15 years ago. Regarding poker, no, I do not have the addiction, I can stop playing when I want to (in fact I did not do it for almost 10 years).
I think it is very dangerous to seek revenge when you lose and think yourself invincible when you win.
We should take this game in stride, and enjoy it, just that.
Some, a small percentage, will be real winners, but we must be clear that the vast majority will not, neither in the short term nor in the long term, so that is why you have to take poker very carefully.

It's just my humble opinion.

Thank you for being there.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.
I can open a discussion with my comment but really what I think.
Congratulations on quitting smoking. I stopped for 2 months when I was hospitalized after a traffic accident. I stopped playing poker for a year because I didn't have time for about a year but my humble and sincere opinion!!!???? The person who plays poker for fun will only stop definitively when he doesn't have time to play because when he has time he will play a little game or when he is aware that the game is seriously damaging his social life, which in the case if he really plays for fun like talk will never happen.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, some people become addicted to gambling. But in my opinion, such dependence is formed only in mentally unstable, impatient and undisciplined people. Instead, addiction to nicotine occurs in all smokers, regardless of their psycho-emotional state, their patience and discipline. These are different dependencies that are not very correct to compare.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Addiction is subjective.
If it causes problems in life, its counted as an addiction but if it doesnt its called a habit.
People choose to ignore their own addictions as habits.
All addictions both psychological and physical are bad places to be and most come through bordem.
People need to escape and sometimes theres you only have yourself to rely on to avoid the spiral.