Can you get addicted to playing poker like smoking cigarettes?

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are lost in playing poker, do you want to win more tomorrow? Are you in addiction status? I do not like play to much every day .

Last edited by a moderator:
Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi friend.

Luckily I quit smoking over 15 years ago. Regarding poker, no, I do not have the addiction, I can stop playing when I want to (in fact I did not do it for almost 10 years).
I think it is very dangerous to seek revenge when you lose and think yourself invincible when you win.
We should take this game in stride, and enjoy it, just that.
Some, a small percentage, will be real winners, but we must be clear that the vast majority will not, neither in the short term nor in the long term, so that is why you have to take poker very carefully.

It's just my humble opinion.

Thank you for being there.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My 2 old forever friends, even i've left and can leave, stop playing poker anytime - but I have no reason at all. Smoking is a bit different, even if i would like to stop, don1t think i could + I have no reason at all.

Metal, rock&roll, smoking, coffee & poker!!!!! Not so much else left in the fake shadow world.....

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Addiction to nicotine, alcohol, drugs and gambling develops primarily in irresponsible people who do not want to take responsibility for their actions. Addicted people are sick people and such people need to be treated. In my opinion, playing poker is a game for disciplined and patient people.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think there is this comparison, because one is a chemical drug and the other is a card game that can even be considered a sport in a certain way. of course it is possible to get addicted to both, but in different ways and different addictions, as one generates addiction from chemistry and the other can generate an addiction to the game itself.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
any employee needs to rest. poker is also a profession. a poker player should also rest

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are some substances in the brain known as endorfins, oxitocin, dopamine that coud influence thouse addictive habbits.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read a long time ago that the effect caused by certain sensations in the brain, such as that of games, is usually the same as that of certain drugs such as nicotine, so I think yes, if you can become addicted to play poker like smoking cigars. Regards.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Smoking is not an addiction! It is a vice that everyone can put aside when they want, only it has no strength of character!

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
If you have an addictive personality, of course you can get addicted to poker. If you have history of addiction in your family or have experienced addiction in your life before you must be careful when approaching a game like poker. Be smart.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

if one becomes addicted unfortunately !! in my case yes .. I smoke a lot and play the same poker !!!

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
certainly. especially if you intend to earn a lot of money. the anxiety about winning most of the time will make you take more chances in the plays because of the big money hands.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get"-- Joe Walsh

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Addiction is something bad, which can cause you many problems and can destroy phsycology and economics. I think that the solution is knowledge, which can make you wiser and able to avoid mistakes.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I know many who cannot stop playing poker, even if they lose money, they keep playing poker, it is like a drug.
If they win a tournament, they think they are great players and want to win more, they play at high levels and they do not have the level, but the adrenaline of winning a lot of money blinds them.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you are lost in playing poker, do you want to win more tomorrow? Are you in addiction status? I do not like play to much every day .

Hello.
For me, poker is a hobby. Of course, there are players who may develop gambling addiction, but in my opinion, such addiction is a direct consequence of lack of discipline, low self-esteem and self-responsibility.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
absolutely. I'm sure there are lots of people, even here on this forum, that would fall into the category of being addicted to poker/gambling.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In addiction status?

I seem in cancerous status. But glad it not contagious. :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, poker can be an addiction like cigarretes and alcohol. There a lot of stories of people who had their life destroyed because of their addiction to poker.

K

kkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker can be a job or a hobby, it is definitely not an addiction

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One can also become addicted to pork chops. If you work 12 hours for a dumb boss, you're told you're hardworking, if you spend the same amount of time playing poker tables, you're addicted. The question is whether we approach the game of cards as a gamble or as a thought process.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
for my opinion when i start tournament i know if it was dificult or good for me......so sometime its very dificult to quit but other day i know nothing go for me and its easy to do something else...

J

jetoukatli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, it can become an addition, that should be taken very carefully and if you think that it can happen you should ask for help as it is something that can lead to ruin

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All players are addicted of it. There is no way to quit poker.