Are You Addicted?

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of these questions have nothing to do with poker, but far greater disturbances that are clearly plaguing you. To answer the real here, yes, I am addicted to poker.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you consider yourself addicted to Poker?

I am retired. I love to keep busy thinking and figuring things out.
Some can call it a habit, some can call it an addiction, but I call it just having fun.
:cool:

D

dpoole71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it can be once you start getting good making deep runs consistently you want more and more

L

Luvulongtime99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats funny is if you where lets say a stock trader and answered yes to many of those questions they would call you dedicated. Since the topic is poker your a degenerate Most folks have a winning problem more than anything. Just my 2 cents.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we are all in your life something or something dependent! If you love poker and earn money on it, you are a Professional and such a term as addiction, I think it's not relevant, but there is still a dependency to constantly play and lose money, then it's not dependence, but ludomania, which has nothing to do with poker , revise your relationship to the concept of dependence, if it interisuet you, and not just as another post for a tick!

J

jmac4909

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres many places online and over the phone set up to help you combat addiction. I would recommend checking some of these places out

N

Nick301274

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, you surpass where convenient

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
People are different. And they relate to the game differently. Someone just has fun during the game, for someone it's work, but there are people with a serious addiction to the game.

N

Nick301274

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a hobby, many do not understand this

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that an addicted person is the one who sells his house, his car to invest in the game, if that is not the case then he is not addicted.

G

georgall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker very much. Day and night, all my free time. I think i am addicted.

ruswolfhound

ruswolfhound

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I play every day, then I want to play more often. But if I do not go to poker for a few days, I do not even think about it

Lucky Alalk

Lucky Alalk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kinda, I had a break many times, but terurned every time, I like to train my mind plus poker gives many righr skills you can use in real life, especially bluff lol

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:eek::bandit:playful is totally addicted , she plays virtually plays every fracken day lol

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a game every day doesn't make you addicted, but what does?
I play a lot of poker and have fun with it, I am socially active and I have a job, when on holiday I don't think about poker a lot, and I don't play at all. But when being at home, I have the change, I do play, doe it make me addicted, I don't think so, but what does?

Poker, alcohol, nicotine, heroin, eating, running, posting comments on cardschat, anything can become an addiction. Below I have pasted the DMS-IV criteria for substance dependence, all you have to do is replace "substance" with "poker":
DSM-IV Substance Dependence Criteria Addiction (termed substance dependence by the American Psychiatric Association) is defined as a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring any time in the same 12-month period:
1.Tolerance, as defined by either of the following: (a) A need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or the desired effect or (b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.
2. Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following: (a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance or (b) The same (or closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
3. The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.
4. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
5. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance (such as visiting multiple doctors or driving long distances), use the substance (for example, chain-smoking), or recover from its effects.
6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.
7. The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (for example, current cocaine use despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression or continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption).
DSM-IV criteria for substance dependence include several specifiers, one of which outlines whether substance dependence is with physiologic dependence (evidence of tolerance or withdrawal) or without physiologic dependence (no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal). In addition, remission categories are classified into four subtypes: (1) full, (2) early partial, (3) sustained, and (4) sustained partial; on the basis of whether any of the criteria for abuse or dependence have been met and over what time frame. The remission category can also be used for patients receiving agonist therapy (such as methadone maintenance) or for those living in a controlled, drug-free environment. Source: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Fourth Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

Last edited:
prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not addicted I just enjoy practicing this spectacular sport of mind almost always..

Y

ydrezende

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not, but everytime I win a hand I definitely feel some high... so I better watch out.

In your case, if you are not wasting social opportunities like you say, I think you are fine.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I do not think I'm addicted, I just like to play in my spare time. is a strategy game, thinking, good for the mind:cool:

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm High on life.... its hard to stop!!! I still wake up every day and it doesn't leave me alone lol

I'm addicted to it... and it's some thing i cant kick the habit for.

Poker is a very small aspect of the addiction to life infact i'd say my addiction to drinking fluids and eating food is more over powering than my addiction to Poker.

I also have an addiction to bringing up my children. when they're old enough to leave home i think i'll kick that habit too...

I think the only time some thing should be considered a addiction is when its messing up your life, so if your life is poker, then wheres the addiction?

haha i'm addicted to every thing in my life or life it self lol...

:eek::eek:

Attachments

• Poker Addiction.jpg
    Poker Addiction.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I'm addicted and can't do anything about it unfortunately

J

Joshua BNL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife tells me I am lol. But no I'm not. I'm not playing 24/7 and try to limit it to 15-30 minutes on 5/7 days

B

bviscaino

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that i´mnot adicted only play for sport