WSOP 2009 Final Table *SPOILERS*

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I managed to not see who won till I stayed up late last night watching it. Apparently, the final table took forever (14 hours to HU, then 3 more hours of HU). I got that from some guy in a game I was in saying he was there. I had to shut off everyone's chat cuz I didn't want to know.

Congrats to the new guy.

If I were looking for a replay, I would look at ESPN2.:D

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I missed the final table ESPN episode last night, (too bust at an intense house game of 1-2 hold em).. does anyone know if it downloaded anywhere on the web yet? Replay? Stream?

You can download the episodes from newsgroups or try looking at torrents :top:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just finished watching it all. Hideous plays, sooooooooooooo many suckouts and Cada ran like god, but it made for good TV.

Interesting that from the past four Main Events, Jerry Yang is the only winner that's actually banked more than the second place finisher. Cada has to give 50% to Johnny Bax / Sheets as his backers, Jamie Gold had to give something around half to his partner and Eastgate lost even more than that to the Danish tax department :p

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm glad cada won. anyone hear the part where he was sitting at the same table as eastgate and he -cada- told him he was going to beat his record.
and wow he did!!

i am soooooo glad moon didn't get it - you don't know how much. there's just something that bugs me about him.
for instance-- like now that he didn't win,, something he probably thought he had in the bag,,, he'll go and kick the chhiittt out of his ole lady,,,,, that's the type of guy he stikes me to be.... seriously --- i don't like him!!!!!

besides moon was just toooooo damn lucky all the way around if you ask me............first he got the cards then he'd catch the hand, or if all else failed he'd chase opponents away. like he got cada to fold the best hand preflop during HU w/ his AJ. but the way he was catching those hands was fn unbelievable.

if ivey had anywhere near the cards he got ivey would of won it, i'm sure. the reason i think cada made it as far as he did, is because he stills has more heart in the game and didn't have as many bad beats under him as phil.
well it's been a slice ...........gl all and peace.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am soooooo glad moon didn't get it - you don't know how much. there's just something that bugs me about him.
for instance-- like now that he didn't win,, something he probably thought he had in the bag,,, he'll go and kick the chhiittt out of his ole lady,,,,, that's the type of guy he stikes me to be.... seriously --- i don't like him!!!!!

besides moon was just toooooo damn lucky all the way around if you ask me............first he got the cards then he'd catch the hand, or if all else failed he'd chase opponents away. like he got cada to fold the best hand preflop during HU w/ his AJ. but the way he was catching those hands was fn unbelievable.

if ivey had anywhere near the cards he got ivey would of won it, i'm sure. the reason i think cada made it as far as he did, is because he stills has more heart in the game and didn't have as many bad beats under him as phil.
well it's been a slice ...........gl all and peace.

Wow.

A few things. First, you've just defamed someone with absolutely zero proof.

Second, Cada won because he was insanely super-run-good lucky. That 22 vs QQ hand where he flopped a set, for example? I'd agree he had the definite skill advantage heads up but I think that was about the only time.

Don't think anybody's commented on his best move at the final table either - ditching UB and going to Stars as a sponsor. Suggestion is he got $1m just for that.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Finally watching the final table on youtube... I know this is old news to everyone else..... but why would Darvin lie to his wife and family about the cards he had when he told them he had Queens and folded after being pot committed to a 2-3-4 with 2 spades board? Really? You're gonna go back and tell your wife that you had Queens and didn't put in the last 6 million in a 45 million pot because you were scared that he would draw out on you?

Come on.. he should know that his wife and family are going to watch this and realized that he lied for no reason.

Though, I think all the media on the final table and his "instant fame" got to him and made him nervous. I don't remember him playing that bad during the tournament.. but we also didn't see every hand he played. He could have just gotten really lucky through most of the tournament, and they just showed his best hands on tv before the final table.

I dunno.. but I kind of hope he does just disappear from poker, and hide up in that shack in Wyoming. I don't really dislike the guy.. but I'm not a fan, either.

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Darvin Moon acted like a total class act at the final table. I dont understand how anyone doesn't like him.

P

Pokerdude420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didnt watch the final table last night...what cards did moon have when he didnt call the 6million? and what cards did begs? or whoever he wa going agianst have?

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree Mort - what was the point of him lying to his own wife? I just don't get it. He must be the sort that lies so much and so often it's one of the first things that pops out of his mouth.

I agree with paumarus, I just didn't like the guy at all. His play was horrible, he got sic lucky and am I the only one to see all the very noob tells he was giving off?

I don't remember the exact hand he was in but he did get called after betting out somethingl ike 15 million on the river with nothing. He looked directly at his opponent doing the whole challenging stare that is so obvious when someone is trying to intimidate you into folding when they are bluffing.

Then there was the very obvious checking with strength and betting big with nothing tells. There were a lot of them.

I wasn't real impressed with Cada's play either. He played well in some spots and made stupid plays in others and got very lucky.

The whole table seemed to have a lot of bad beats and peeps staying in hands they ought not to have.

Of course I was horrified when Ivey lost with his AK to Moon's AQ, that sucked, but it is poker.

At the end I was really questioning things on how most of those players made it there. Maybe I'm the only one. Too many pages of comments in this thread so didn't read through them all.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end I was really questioning things on how most of those players made it there. Maybe I'm the only one. Too many pages of comments in this thread so didn't read through them all.

They got there pretty much the same way anyone gets to the final table of an event that long with that many entrants - they ran good.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally watching the final table on youtube... I know this is old news to everyone else..... but why would Darvin lie to his wife and family about the cards he had when he told them he had Queens and folded after being pot committed to a 2-3-4 with 2 spades board? Really? You're gonna go back and tell your wife that you had Queens and didn't put in the last 6 million in a 45 million pot because you were scared that he would draw out on you?

Well Darvin also swore that the board didn't pair in the famous bust out of Billy Kopp, but of course it did. You'd think he'd remember what he had since he went over to his wife right after that, but Ivey also mucked a flush...so, stuff happens.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well Darvin also swore that the board didn't pair in the famous bust out of Billy Kopp, but of course it did. You'd think he'd remember what he had since he went over to his wife right after that, but Ivey also mucked a flush...so, stuff happens.

If he really thought he had QQ.. I doubt he would have folded on a 2-3-4 board being pot committed in that big of a pot.

But.. like you said, you never know. It did seem like he really didn't care all that much whether he won or lost, he tossed in almost 80 million chips on a suited QJ pre-flop for the last hand... it was a pretty crazy tournament overall.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he really thought he had QQ.. I doubt he would have folded on a 2-3-4 board being pot committed in that big of a pot.

Y'know... I actually believe he would. If he seriously thought he had QQ in that spot, I believe he's got it in him to fold for just 6m more :p

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wow.

A few things. First, you've just defamed someone with absolutely zero proof.

Second, Cada won because he was insanely super-run-good lucky. That 22 vs QQ hand where he flopped a set, for example? I'd agree he had the definite skill advantage heads up but I think that was about the only time.

Don't think anybody's commented on his best move at the final table either - ditching UB and going to Stars as a sponsor. Suggestion is he got $1m just for that.

+1 to everything he said ^^

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree Mort - what was the point of him lying to his own wife? I just don't get it. He must be the sort that lies so much and so often it's one of the first things that pops out of his mouth.

I agree with paumarus, I just didn't like the guy at all. His play was horrible, he got sic lucky and am I the only one to see all the very noob tells he was giving off?

Couple comments here... first off.. when he said he had 'QQ' my interpration was, "because there was so much media around and tons of people, why would he actually say what his holecards were?" (<< that would make zero sense). Wouldn't he want them to think he made a laydown of a big hand, instead of getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar (making a play at a bad time.. not understanding that villain would be pot committed... his play was obviouly entirely counting on his opponent laying it down.. and because prior (metagame) he had actually shown so many HUGE monsters that more often than not when he fired out a big reraise he actually had the goods.
When you laydown a hand (even online) and someone asks you, "what'd you have?" When you tell them "AQ".. don't you often just have "AJ"?

I admittedly didn't watch all the hands played but I did listen to every single minute of play online of the final table and the HeadsUp play. Do many not understand that the only hands that are shown in tv coverage are the ones that are either huge suckouts, huge pots, &/or hands where players are getting knocked out. To make an overall opinion based on very limited knowledge is confusing to me??
Sure Moon picked a few bad spots to make moves and this is/was obviously from his lack of experience but imo I believe he did very well overall, especially HeadsUP (for anyone who listened to all of the HeadsUp play I'm sure they would agree... I'm sure Joe Cada himself would agree and incidentally every single commentator covering the live event broadcast (including the likes of Phil Helmuth, Phil Lak, Justin Smith, Joe Sebok, 'Ari', 'TheMAVEN' (David Chicotsky.... from MavenVT and a popular reg. in the Fulltilt high-buy MTT's, ranked #1 by bluff for '08, and the list goes on... << all were saying that Cada would've preferred playing any of the other players from the final table as opposed to Darvin Moon).

I find it odd that a handful of members here have perceived the guy to be some kind of wife-beater, hillbilly, sketchy, etc. My perception of him was actually the complete opposite. He seemed like a genuinely really good person. I was rooting for him when it came to HeadsUp actually... although Cada had also been a pick of mine from the get go of the final table (not saying 'I can pick 'em',.. instead just mentioning who I was cheering for). Once the final table began to play and then as it progressed, Buchman & Saout really seemed to be by far the best two players on the table.

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The final table show some of the worst of tournament poker, I see too much bingo playing and too little poker. this was the worst event since Moneymaker's victory and dragging these games out for television is a mistake.

WSOP