Would you like to become a pro poker player?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all, the game should be for fun, not just for the money.
The pleasure of the game is always an important component. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would very much like to become a pro player and ride around the world series. Perhaps this is the dream of many here, otherwise people would not be here.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people go to their dreams for years, and only the strong in spirit achieve this.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope. I'd rather be retired with a pension and play for relaxation and distraction. But then, I know my limitations. In addition I have a face for radio, so having my picture taken after I win would not be good.

Newmember_5

Newmember_5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that sooner or later i get a poker pro which wins much money. But at the moment my possibilitys to play poker are too low. I dont live in berlin and have not much money. I have just one friend who would play poker with me and he have often lack of time. Believe in me, that i change from frustration noob to a poker pro.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that sooner or later i get a poker pro which wins much money. But at the moment my possibilitys to play poker are too low. I dont live in berlin and have not much money. I have just one friend who would play poker with me and he have often lack of time. Believe in me, that i change from frustration noob to a poker pro.
We believe in you and everyone who has the desire to reach heights in poker.[emoji106] [emoji110] [emoji122]

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, this year I am studying and practicing a lot. Before it was just for fun but I'm thinking of making money now.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you have to earn a lot of money with a different way, i ment if you have money to live weel, you can play that way.

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to become a professional player too. At the moment I play freerolls and microlimits, gain experience, increase bankroll. In the future, I want to play at high limits and in big tournaments with the best players in the world =)

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a pro player does not necessarily mean you are a good player...

Anyone can be a professional player if they have the bankroll or backing - look at Bill Perkins as a classic example..he has got better for sure but it has cost him a lot of money.
Being a professional player takes a lot of commitment, travelling, time management aside from BR management. Being potentially away from loved ones if you play live is a massive consideration - time is the poker players biggest enemy is my saying...
I will be a pro player soon, whether i become a top pro is another question!

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a pro player does not necessarily mean you are a good player...

Anyone can be a professional player if they have the bankroll or backing - look at Bill Perkins as a classic example..he has got better for sure but it has cost him a lot of money.
Being a professional player takes a lot of commitment, travelling, time management aside from BR management. Being potentially away from loved ones if you play live is a massive consideration - time is the poker players biggest enemy is my saying...
I will be a pro player soon, whether i become a top pro is another question!

Being pro doesn't necessarily mean traveling a lot. What we see online and on TV as poker pros is just a small portion of professional players worldwide. By definition, professional poker player is the one who earns money only through playing poker. It doesn't say anything about the type of the game (live or online, cash or tournament etc.)
In my home town there is a player who is playing online only, travels to live tournaments in Europe from time to time, but he isn't playing full time. Has a huge family and is a family guy himself (I personally know few of his cousins). Amount of money that he earns daily exceeds average payment in my country and it is enough for him to live luxuriously. That being said, he is pro, but nothing out of ordinary like what we see on stage.

As for Bill Perkins, he is some hedge fund owner/manager or whatever, and by definition not a pro poker player. You can find many examples like him, while being very good players, like Guy Laliberte, Tony G, Dan Shak, that are maybe profitable in poker but it isn't their only or main source of income. They are often referred as semi-pro on TV.

I wish you all the luck and patience to become a real PRO poker player, regardless of the stakes you would be playing or the earnings!

B

BobZock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you like guys to become a pro poker player? Of course by doing that means to play poker for a living:p:D. If your answer is yes do you think you would be a successful one or not?;):)
No. even if I had the right bankroll available.
to make fun of it is something different than having to do something.
Besides, I'm not good enough to be pro. :cool:

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Travelling...

Hi there,

well i travel quite a bit already in the UK and it is a lot of travel, its all relative to ourselves.

Thank you for your kind words..

I remember an interview with Tony G, he was referred to as a semi pro and he took offence at it, he said - i pay enough to be a pro, i play with the pros, i win enough so i am a pro lol.

Good Link here also - https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/definition-a-pro-poker-player-287937/

AR AR AR AR

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember an interview with Tony G, he was referred to as a semi pro and he took offence at it, he said - i pay enough to be a pro, i play with the pros, i win enough so i am a pro lol.

This is kinda my point here. People think that being pro means playing for millions and winning. In reality winning 10k$ in the poorest country a month is as big as winning a million in the wealthiest. And probably both require good skill, time, effort and patience. It is only the ambient that differs but the game is the same.
To me, this sounds disrespectful for many players that are starting to be pros and are trying themselves out in the poker worlds. Just look at pokerstars team pro, not all of them play million dollar buy-ins or high-roller tables, but are pros non the less.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely Agree

This is kinda my point here. People think that being pro means playing for millions and winning. In reality winning 10k$ in the poorest country a month is as big as winning a million in the wealthiest. And probably both require good skill, time, effort and patience. It is only the ambient that differs but the game is the same.
To me, this sounds disrespectful for many players that are starting to be pros and are trying themselves out in the poker worlds. Just look at Pokerstars team pro, not all of them play million dollar buy-ins or high-roller tables, but are pros non the less.

I like this post above, this makes perfect sense, there are definitions that advise that anyone who plays poker for a living is considered to be a pro..many people determine it by the success you have but as you have rightly pointed out - that differs from country to country.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, my dream is to become a professional.

I think if I won a significant enough amount to turn professional then I would be a successful professional.