Status
Not open for further replies.
Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back in the day you got paid 10 bucks for every 10 mil play chips you sold so there was a market. With all the shady dealers out there buying them and not paying im assuming ps just decided to make it legit so people who wanted to buy them would get what they paid for. I'm assuming they make a few $ from it too.

There are also all in or fold tables in the play money scene that are popular and to play them u either need to get lucky a lot or buy play chips.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's crazy, but there again there are plenty of members of the human race who are just as nuts!

They aren't gonna buy em either, they will deposit on Bovada instead. ;)

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never!

the reason is very simple!

THE RAKES on stars playing playmoney is ridiculous high!
there are 5% of the rakes , therefore, playing NL 1million with about several thousands chips rake, even it has a cap!

If that happens real money, stars only charge 5 bucks cap each pot!

that is unfair, if pokerstars think that it is playmoney, but stars sell it for real now, how could poker stars charge so high rake without any rake back!

I think I lost from my PT4 , at least 4 million play chips just by pokerstars rake on playmoney!

I would 100% not think that is a good idea to pay to buy playmoney for fun.

roberto_overloaded

roberto_overloaded

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

No. I'm to old for play chips, and don't have time , better I play freerolls. Good luck

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't checked on PS but most sites allow you to top up your Play Money stack for free anyway so I cannot see any sense in this.

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started with online poker it was on PS with play chips. I ran my 1k up to over 3.5 million. With that said, I can tell you there is/was a huge difference in the quality of play from the lower to higher stakes across the spectrum... rings, sngs and mtts. I enjoyed the challenge myself and made some good friends with which we had some heated competitions and made side bets (with or play chips) as well. They did mean something to us but mostly because we had won them, so we played them as we would had the been real money and found many, if not most, of the folks playing 100k-250k buy ins did. PS is definitely not stupid and surely realizes the huge difference in play as well as the existence of sites who broker the sale of these chips. (Hell, they even rake the play chip games.) Their selling them was to be expected the entertainment value is quite evident. Though most here say they'd never buy them, with which I personally concur since they'd lose their value to me as they were not won, I can imagine giving them as a gift, especially to someone underage, or someone without the patience to run their initial 1,000 up buying them; frustrated with the play at the lower levels. Give PS credit... they know their clientele.

L

lilturkgirl86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no i wouldnt pay to buy the playchips, altough i agree with fuggufnick when your just starting out and learning especially when your younger their is a great pride in building up some playchips and progressing.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would never buy play money. real money games all day!

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
qonder if there is a market for play money chips on bovada if there is let me know I wouldent mind making a couple of bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did in fact start my real money bankroll by selling Poker Stars play chips about 7 years ago. 5 million for $60 I believe. I have no idea what the rates are these days or even where you would go.

Why people would buy play chips? I have no idea. I didn't ask haha. My guess was always maybe some older married guy whose wife would not allow him to deposit real money but this was an acceptable alternative. There is a real community around the "high stakes" play money games on many of these sites and you get to feel like you are playing million $ pots...even though you really aren't :)

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never buy playmoney chips at pokerstars. Why are they so expensive? Do they still give players 1000 free chips every day? why don't they play with that quantity?

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will always be people who will pay extra for higher quality entertainment. So while I prefer to just take what they give me, the daily (or whenever busted) reloads of play money, I don't think it's outlandish for some to skip this and pay extra to ensure that the play money games they get in are competitive and thus enjoyable for them. Same thing happens with virtual online games a lot, those games where you can earn points to get equipment, characters, etc, by just playing or pay real money for these points. People who buy play money find poker fun, but don't want the frustration of finding only idiots at tables. These people do not hold the same value for $200 that I do. So yes, I find it kinda goofey, but I see where they may be coming from.

L

loomis311

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As stated above, I have read about a few players several years back selling their play chips so that they could start playing for real money.

I remember learning the game with play money. But, I think the game is hard to learn when you have to play low limits at play money tables. It is just so unrealistic because so many people are insane loose aggressive. As you move up in play money stakes people start caring about their chips and the quality of the game is much better. I believe that is where you learn the game the quickest. But, paying $200 for play chips is way to much.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no lie some people totally do this it is so sad

gohan2015

gohan2015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its ridiculous
I would never buy play chips!

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So... Play chips would be more profitable on play poker sites like Zynga and Pokerist. Damn, I wish I had thought of making money from selling off play chips >.<

Maybe it's easier to earn VPP/FPP points in play money games with a huge play money bankroll?

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like drinking alcohol free beer! No buzz no fun! :D

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember back in the PSO league hearing about people buying play chips and i couldnt for the life of me understand why?! lol

If I'm going to invest real money into poker, i see no reason NOT to put it somewhere that could yield an actual cash return! obv, someone has and prob still does...and im sure its an obscure simplistic reason that id never understand

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They give you free play money when you run out of your 1000 anyway, Something along the lines of 3 1000 refills per hour, so why would anyone pay for it??

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Email and ask PS what they'd give you to buy them from you. That should clear things up for you. I think I've heard they will buy them or maybe you might be able to trade them on some other sites or something like that.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would only buy play chips if i couldn't get into a cc game lol.....other than that, nah, may aswell play roullette, play money poker is not the one.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you sell playchips?

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you sell playchips?

there are some places that buy it but needs to be in large amounts for very little money

i think 50 millions is like $5 or something like that

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when Pokerstars was still relatively new and there were alot of people grinding play chips just to sell them for real money, couldn't believe there was a market for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poker Chips - History of Chips