Wishing Other Players Good Luck

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you write "good luck" to others players in games,you does it because it is the rule of good tone makes you write so, or do you really want someone to be better than you in the game?
Logically, wishing good luck to the players, you directly agree that let luck smile not to me, but to that guy.
I will honestly say that I often write “Good luck to me”, since I play to win, and not to give good luck and victory to others.
Yes, it happens that I write Good luck to everyone, but it is rather a rule of good tone than my real desire, for chance to someone someone to be luckier more than myself in a game.
How can you comment this?

This shows respect for other players, be polite and when we wish someone good luck to others, we get positive vibes around ourselves.

But I would like to use this topic to expose about luck and skill in Poker, since it is considered a sport of the mind and not a game of chance, okay?

In the short term I believe it is:
60% ability
40% lucky

In the medium-long term I already accept your values of 85/15 90/10.

If we prolong the long term the luck factor almost disappears.

In infinite time limit: 100% skill 0% luck.

This is my point of view and I loved the questioning of our forum colleague of CardsChat in this poster, congratulations ... !!!

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say good luck out of a kind gesture it doesn't mean that I want them to do better then me. It just means that not everyone has it at times and I am wishing you and me good luck just to be kind:0)

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First is by respect to other players and the game... your goal can be different, but alwys remember that poker is a game.. then wishing them good luck to kick me out!

well, this is how I see "good luck" when you face the person you're wishing it at...

Otherwise, I agree that you wish luck to the other people then yourself..

Just curious, is "Good luck to me" is doing something different in your game since? :p

-TRP-
When you write "good luck" to others players in games,you does it because it is the rule of good tone makes you write so, or do you really want someone to be better than you in the game?
Logically, wishing good luck to the players, you directly agree that let luck smile not to me, but to that guy.
I will honestly say that I often write “Good luck to me”, since I play to win, and not to give good luck and victory to others.
Yes, it happens that I write Good luck to everyone, but it is rather a rule of good tone than my real desire, for chance to someone someone to be luckier more than myself in a game.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Every poker player wants to win , it's a game of competition. Sometimes I write ''good luck'' in the beginning of the CC games because most of the club members know each other. Luck is an important factor of winning a SnG or a MTT due to some critical flips you need to win.

I find the phrase ''have fun'' is most suitable in some cases , maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am too kind for no reason.

Has the phrase ''good luck to me'' helped you so far? :p

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Before the game, I try to be focused, so I do not pay attention to the wishes of my opponents. Any wishes of my opponent do not matter to me.

john harris

john harris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is basically a greeting and being a good sport to say
good luck to the other players because it is a competition and
in private games you know the other players sometimes plus
it never hurts to be nice :) :) :)

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at it as a friendly way to say hi to the people on the table. Usually when I say gl personally I mean Hi nice to see you!

And also I truly wish everyone does well, by tying in second place to my first place lol (honestly though its rare I am coming in first so just joking)

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Good luck" to me means that when i have to tank on a critical decision, i make the correct choice. ( to my op, it means make the choice that's good for me). It is good sportsmanship, and opens the door to possible good karma.
As for "gg", if you beat me fair and square, your game was better and you played it well. It is not meant to be condescending, we both played our best, to the better player goes the spoils.
If however, you played the entire time like a donk, massively sucked out, and have sense of superiority, "gg" means crap happens and thats poker for ya.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the phrase ''have fun'' is most suitable in some cases , maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am too kind for no reason. :p

I say "good luck" to the table when ending my live sessions. I also often say "have fun".

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • If i bust out: "nh. gl everyone. have fun."
  • If i bust someone: "unlucky. gg."
  • When money bubble pops: " congrats all, we rich!"
  • FT: " congrats all. I'm cool with 2nd."

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish good luck to the ones who need it :p:evil:

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish good luck automatically, but I never wish it honestly.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you are positive and you want others what you hope for you, you're happy and you do well in life, by cons when you're bitter and you would like to others what you would not like to be, you are wretched and negative

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always say good luck to everyone at the table. Mainly because I want everyone to have a fun and enjoyable game, and to show a sign of respect to the rest of the table.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the rule of good tone is first of all !!! and secondly, I understand that the main part of poker is skill and not just luck !!!

N

nomorkevm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you write "good luck" to others players in games,you does it because it is the rule of good tone makes you write so, or do you really want someone to be better than you in the game....

I never say good luck because yes, I want it all :) I therefore say "Have fun!".

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I never write "Good Luck", because I don't mean it. There really is not a need to say anything.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to reserve GL for a final table or final 2-3 players, at which stage I do mean it. Of course I want to win but there’s no harm in wishing players good luck.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good luck for all

to wish good luck to all is not only the rule of good form. But if you dig deeper, it turns out that under equal conditions of luck in the game, all participants will have the same chance of winning. It’s good when luck comes to several selected players. Then it turns out that won not deservedly, without using my skills and abilities, but only because of luck. I would not like to wish anyone any particular luck either. and if you want everyone, it means to yourself too, and then let the strongest win. For example, I often want my strong After the flop or turn, th hand was not hindered by the luck of another player.:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In my opinion, such wishes are simply a rule of good tone. Nothing more.
Good luck.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is been polite, i allwais tipe gl hf to everyone,doesnt mean i want other peaple to beat me,lol.

R

RaydonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely understand taking the "good luck" wish too literally as I take a lot of common phrases too literally, but I can also definitely see it just being polite and low-meaning, comparable to "bless you" or "have a nice day" (I work a retail job).

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a way to be educated.
But I think those who say this are not being honest.
I wish good luck, but not as good as mine.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is just a way to be polite. Same like when you meet somebody who you know but is not close friend of you and he asks how are you. He do not really care and do not expect you to say anything different than "fine thanks". Nevertheless it is sign of good manners to do that.

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL i like this. Ahhh after you play so many tournaments we know you cannot win them all but yes good luck to all in the game is good tone. Its not so bad as long as you are winning more than losing! :D