My wife needs to know!

H

handbyhand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How many people in here play for real money and how many have told there wive's that they play for real money? lol she is just curious for some reason. thanks for your feedback she will appreciate it!

IT'S EASIER TO LOSE IF YOU DON'T FOLD!!!
:D :hello: :turtle:

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think is best to be upfront from the start! I told my girlfriend pretty much straight away that I would be gambling both our lives away for the next few years and she was welcome to come along for the ride if she wanted!!! She accepted (must be the loving!!!)

Oh, and remember, you dont have to tell them EVERY time you are depositing (but dont say that too loud!)

fan_diaz

fan_diaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for real money, and i dont have a wife :D

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am the wife. And I play for real money. So does the hubs. Honesty is best. They're your spouse, not your parent/child. Shouldn't be a problem unless you have an obsession/addiction, then you need to seek help and walk away from it anyway.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will be married soon and I play for real money. I told my fiance when I started playing for real monsy and she had a bit of a problem, thinkning I was going to lose the house or something, now that she has seen how much money can be made, she doesn't have a problem anymore!!!

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
juiceeQ said:
Honesty is best.

Wonder Woman knows Best!!!!!!:top:

I am upfront about my poker playing with her. Always tell her about my big wins. And usually gripe about my bad beats.:bawling: (she doesn't like that part so much!!!)

She loves getting her hands on my winnings!:knuddel:

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you become successful and become a winner, apart from the time factor, i am sure she will be overjoyed with your new hobby.
Be honest from the start, and good luck.

zinzan1000 be lucky

list

list

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with real money and wife dosent care as long as she can spend money on CRAP ( makeup / bags / shoes / new outfits as she says she never has anything to wear but has 2 wardrobes full of clothes ):D

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for real money, but only from freeroll winnings and member of the month winnings :). She doesn't see a problem if I wished to deposit some sometime since she has seen where I have taken that free money. I think as long you are not losing $200-$500 monthly, it is not a huge problem.

This is one of the areas that "it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission" does not apply.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
list said:
I play with real money and wife dosent care as long as she can spend money on CRAP ( makeup / bags / shoes / new outfits as she says she never has anything to wear but has 2 wardrobes full of clothes ):D
Sir! That is hardly crap! Those are absolute necessities in life! :girl:

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got that right juciee!!! A Big Necessity! I play for real money on line-he doesn't but it doesn't bother him. He just heads to the garage with his main squeeze!!!...LOL...(race car)..

Jocksrock

Jocksrock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do not tell the wife anything about playing poker for money....the girls here play poker so agree with it but anything that a woman does not do or like will usually be the same thing that she does not like her man to do...its a female thing!...do not go all honest and tell the wife/girlfriend now men as ignorance is bliss...and woman are blissfull

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make a budget you can both live with, but definately let your wife know what you are up to. It will only be easier on you in the long run.

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with a lot of people, honesty is the best policy. I play for money but me missus would kill me if she knew (lol).

MackemMan :D

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Jocksrock said:
i do not tell the wife anything about playing poker for money....the girls here play poker so agree with it but anything that a woman does not do or like will usually be the same thing that she does not like her man to do...its a female thing!...do not go all honest and tell the wife/girlfriend now men as ignorance is bliss...and woman are blissfull
Ah, Jock...I'm guessing you keep more company out in the dog house don't you me laddie? ;)

Jocksrock

Jocksrock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juiceeQ said:
Ah, Jock...I'm guessing you keep more company out in the dog house don't you me laddie? ;)

not always...i sometimes have to fight with the dog on who stays there and who has to cuddle up with the wife...sometimes the dog wins...and i got to go back to mah room:D :D :D :D :D

men need to keep secrets.....as my idol Billy Connolly says:

Men can keep a secret but woman can't

Woman can hold in farts but men can't

The moral

If you want woman to keep a secret...Whisper it up her arse;)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
juiceeQ said:
Honesty is best. Juicee is quite right on this. I told my wife, well I guess she is my ex-wife right after I lost the vacation home, don't know why she was so upset she didn't like going there anyway. In retrospect probably should have said something after the boat went but, hindsight & all that.Told the kids your young if you want to go to college get a job. Builds character & all that, & hey since I use all my money playing poker I can't afford booze & smokes anymore so that's good. Now if I can only stop chasing flushes. Any way tell your wife, after all it's just a harmless way to entertain yourself.:withstupi :p

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just tell her I'm doing the taxes.

AlurOne

AlurOne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
now this is a great thread. . .

i'm literally laughing out loud to myself as i read these posts. this site has a lot of character!

my wife doesn't mind me playing for money - in fact, she encouraged me to enter a tournament this weekend. she's much more sensible than i am for the most part, so i'm not quite sure why she supports this, but i'm gonna run with it and not ask questions. . . :D

Gizzi315

Gizzi315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most of us are perfectly understanding as long as it is reasonable and the guy still finds time to take care of his HONEY DO list and treat us to a romantic evening on the town, etc. Other people spend money on other types of hobbies and, as has been said by several, as long as it doesn't get out of hand................ it can be an enjoyable passtime. We can even play together sometimes....... (although you should NEVER take all of her chips away with a bad beat.......... unless of course you LIKE sleeping in the doghouse, eh Rock?!?!?!?!?)

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wife here. :hello: Husband knows I play for real money and is OK with it, but likely wouldn't be if I were losing the farm, so to speak. So far I'm on the plus side (knock on wood) and only play for small stakes. Our relationship may not be typical, though, as I'm the money-earner in our relationship (two jobs, all my hobbies generate income) and he's the money sink (no job, hobbies cost bucks). He hates card games so there's no danger of him ever playing poker.

It's good to be honest about it up front (imagine much worse repercussions for being caught in a lie later!) but as someone else said, it's probably not the best idea to seek a permission slip for every deposit. ;)

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tell my ex wives that I play for real money, but that means I would have to talk to them :eek:

(

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
handbyhand said:
How many people in here play for real money and how many have told there wive's that they play for real money? lol she is just curious for some reason. thanks for your feedback she will appreciate it!

IT'S EASIER TO LOSE IF YOU DON'T FOLD!!!
:D :hello: :turtle:
Real money.
Wife knows.
In fact, sometimes she "Makes" me play.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Real money, fiancé knows.

Exiting the poker program in the middle of a hand because your wife walked in is definitely -EV, by the way. Honesty has an EV=0, so that's clearly better.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife knows I play. She also knows that I'm in profit overall from playing, so I guess that helps ensure it's OK.
If you're not sure your partner would be too keen on it, then one approach is to get a deposit amount given to you as a birthday present, so then it's for a bit of fun, and if you lose it then it's still served its purpose - and if you do make a profit, then all the better. That avoids the 'wasting money' side of things, so it's generally more acceptable then.