Why is two pair so dangerous?

B

Barrettm95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is using both your (different) cards (not a PP) to make two pair any more likely to win than only using one and a pair on the board? This hand seems so dangerous. That is I've gone broke on it a few times. I almost want to just fold if I hit a second pair on the river. :eek: It's just trying to get me again. I think it's because pairing just one of your cards with the other pair on the board is very obviously not a very good hand and using both cards just seems better but really isn't. Anybody know the odds or does it all depend on the situation?

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing a board pair, it's as if you were playing a one-pair hand because all the other players have that board pair too.

With 56 on a 599KJ board you have two pair, but you don't have a particularly strong hand. If the board were 596KJ, you'd have much better equity and could actually win a biggish pot vs. a King.
But even here you have to watch out for common two-pair combinations that beat yours, like 96, J9 or KJ.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think two pair is any more dangerous than playing any other hand. When you are playing you always have to know what other hands the board is conducive to, such as three to flush or straight, etc. As you are playing the hand you should be thinking about whether the range of hands you believe your opponents are playing includes the hands that could beat your hand using the board.

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime the board pairs you may have trouble. There could be a boat, trips, or it may have counterfeited your paired hole card. When you pair both your hole cards you will usully make more money, because it us much less obvious to the other players.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing to look at is what 2 pair you acually hold. A lot of players will find themselves seeing a flop with a suited connector, any time you flop 2 pair with these type hands, its generally best to play them fast, you can find yourself up against open-ended draws or made straights.

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime the board pairs you may have trouble. There could be a boat, trips, or it may have counterfeited your paired hole card. When you pair both your hole cards you will usully make more money, because it us much less obvious to the other players.

I couldn't have put it any better.

I hate to see a board pair pop up especially when I am holding a pair or even two from my hole cards, I usually treat it as if it is assured that someone else has got trips and if the board pair is bigger than mine I generally fold immediately. I have been burned in the past, even with a higher pair so I really try to watch the table and be smart. (sometimes that is HARD LOL - especially fer me)! LOL

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I would necessarly fold my hand, just depends on the action. I would be cautious however.

B

Barrettm95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re: counterfeited pair,

I hate when that happens: 7J 7TJ 8 T
I do find it hard to let it go.

So anyway then, Yes? Using both cards is more likely to win but not much and the suckiness of only using one is just much more apparent.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the two pair situtation. Many times trips seem to choke this hand off on me. I would just as soon use the both cards in my hand to hit the 2P, every time.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check your pokertrackers. You should be making money off of two-pair hands, and most lose money on single pairs.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the most part, better players are playing suited connector or just connected cards. For example, 7-8 suited and the flop comes 7-8-Q :

Sure you have two pair but someone may have an open ended str8 draw. now make that board two of the same suit, all of a sudden someone else has a flush draw. Two pairs are a dangerous hand, as others probably have good draws.

T

tonydamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every hand is dangerous. not just 2 pair. thats why loose-aggressive players have -EV in the long run. they win big, but loose big too. if you play every hand like pro's do (or atleast try to), you will find out that folding KK when you know a fish who cold called your 16x BB reraise with A+rag on a A-x-x board is the right play. playing 2 pair is no different, do your best to read your opponent, the board and trust your gut. thats how poker is supposed to be played. every hand.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats why loose-aggressive players have -EV in the long run.

What??? I'm pretty sure there are some lags that are +ev in the long run. I think maybe you don't understand what a loose-aggressive player is?

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best LAGs probably have bigger winrates than the best TAGs. They deal with a ton more variance though.

nccali

nccali

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
thank's for startind this thread..i have allway's heve ?'s about 2 pair...i have lost alot on them and i have won alot at times on them...like it better if i have a high pair in my hand or two good pair out of my hand & the board..

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
two pair can win you big pots if one of them isnt on the board...you have to get a good read and avoid straight and flushes obviously...but if you have K9 AND THE board is K9A 62 and you are up against a strong Ace you can drain the stack of a weaker player pushing top pair

H

huhwahhappen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If the pair is on the board, play it like you only have one pair since everyone has it. And you also have to be cautious of if someone has trips or better.

Sardonix

Sardonix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends if you hold top two pair or like you played a k-4s on the button because you could limp in. you hit two pair but its a k-4-10 flop. then you might have to be carefull. is someone drawing to a straight with an offsuit QJ or did someone felt you with k-10 is there a flush draw out there hmmmmm lets throw out a value bet and find out. You have to go with your gut and study your opponets. I'm not gonna fold top two pair unless i really feel someone has a flush or straight or trips and i can usually tell by the river if im the favorite in the hand. but any two pair (not top two) is tough and i really think you need to just go with your gut and if you lose with it at least its a good hand to lose with lol

kingsup23

kingsup23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on which two pair you have. If you have top two you are usually good. However if like another person said you have a bottom pair and are playing the boards pair then you are probably not going to have the best hand and even if he has the bottom pair to you are probably playing the boards kicker

idlehands80

idlehands80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it sucks to have your two pair beat. its not so hard to play in late position cause if everyone checks you can usually push with decent size bet and that should tell you where you stand. just watchout out if someone rerraises then you might want to run but if they just check (or fold obviously) your most likely safe. playing position and careful BR management and you should win more than you lose with two pair. IMO

I do think it funny though when someone pushes all-in with 2 pair and they get beat by trips/str8/flush. just remember two pair is just barely better than 1 pair.

Babynut

Babynut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't have put it any better.

I hate to see a board pair pop up especially when I am holding a pair or even two from my hole cards, I usually treat it as if it is assured that someone else has got trips and if the board pair is bigger than mine I generally fold immediately. I have been burned in the past, even with a higher pair so I really try to watch the table and be smart. (sometimes that is HARD LOL - especially fer me)! LOL

I have to agree two pair have burned me in the past. If the board pairs precede with caution. It has been my luck someone has hit a set.:)

N

ninet7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
indeed it varies but if your up against a set or over pair surely dominated in any MTT its all about timing ive found normally if ive hit two pr using both hole cards my 2nd pr normally makes the opponents hand