Why is Russia so dominant in poker fields?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say it has to do with the fact that so many big countries with high number of people are not allowed to play only between people from their own country take France, USA, Italy, Sweden etc ... with how many big countries your left ? just look at Russia's population , I heard that we might lose them to actually , that would be so bad, those mofos will only allow us to play between ourselfs ( same countries ) eventually if we dont do anything about it , no one is even moaning about this days about it anymore.

If that happened that would be the demise of online poker. It is only because we play people from all different countries that we can have these massive tournaments.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
140 mil. country has many players.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think its because of population of Russia and their life style that we met players from this country but I have notice that Brazilians and ukrainians are also alot on field

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Russia is a big country. A lot of Russians are computer savvy so it makes sense that they would gravitate towards online poker.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friend, I do not agree, because I think and quantity brazil is playing more poker than russia, I see in some tournaments a huge amount of Brazilian and some even with a lot of poker and some are very good players.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friend, I do not agree, because I think and quantity Brazil is playing more poker than russia, I see in some tournaments a huge amount of Brazilian and some even with a lot of poker and some are very good players.

It might be the stakes and time of day but on the micro stakes I find the reverse . I was in the pokerstars school masters yesterday which is real micro stakes ($0.25). That had 354 players with 81 Russian players making up almost 23% of the field. There were only 33 Brazilian players making approximately 9% of the field. There were only 13 UK players making up 3.6% of the field. Population size we are a lot smaller but thought we had a lot of poker players. germany was quite prominent for there size with 34 players making up another 9.6% Ukraine was v popular in the tournament with 59 players too making up 16.6% The whole of canada only made up 24 players. I think possibly more expensive games I have notice more Brazilian players but do not now how the ratios pan out. It would be interesting if America could play what percentage of games they took up as they are absolutely massive.

Russian and Ukraine did well bagging the top 3 places, then Ukraine bagging the next two. I managed to get the UK in 7th and a player from Canada and Greece made the final table so a fair mix in the end.

I often play at the $20-$50 range, which I think has a more mixed proportion of countries. It makes the conversation more interesting as I cannot speak Russian and google translate does not seem to work with it. Fortunately a fair proportion of Russian players speak in English at the table.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you play less Poker if you lived in hot country or a state like Florida or do you find the climate encourages play? Do you think the colder climate led you to play significantly more?

Last edited:
xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the Russians are very good at playing poker they play aggressive deliberate players everywhere but I have rarely seen a passive Russian player is more in most of the final tables that I have always been a Russian an Ukrainian and a Brazilian but the Russians dominate his aggressive style that does not mean that they always win but if I see them as favorites in online poker:pcguru::fight:

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not feel unfavorable playing against several Russians or Canadians. The important thing is to develop a good game.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is Russia so dominant in poker fields? Okay it is massive but seems to over dominate dominate a lot of tables. For instance I am playing a cardschat tournament tonight and 126 players out of 500 are Russian which is 25.2% of the field which seems massively skewed when you consider the amount of countries in total.

What causes so many players from this particular country to play compare to others and generally such a loose aggressive style? Is it the cold turning them into action junkies? :wink:
because we are beautiful and smart))) and there are many of us))) like the Chinese in the world)))
:rock:

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because we are beautiful and smart))) and there are many of us))) like the Chinese in the world)))
:rock:

Lol, cannot comment on the looks but definately have the numbers! Mentioning the Chinese considering they many more pople in their population I rarely see Chinese players on the table. Strange as I thought there was lot of gambling there.