Why not play other forms of poker??!!

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember very well, and haven't played it for 40 years at least, but one of the kitchen table games we used to play was 7 card roll'em. Might have been called No See'em.

Each dealt 7 down cards, and (2 variations) then each would roll one card, and a betting round ensues. The variations would be, each player gets to decide the order of the cards they roll, meaning they looked at their cards and made that decision, and the blind version, where each player sees his cards for the first time when everyone sees them.

When I think about it, the first version (I get to decide what card to roll, and when to roll it) would clearly be the purest form of poker. Also the most devious, perverted form of manipulative poker ever conceived. I don't remember if we played it Hi/Lo but boy would that game be a kick in the ass!:eek:

We played this game at home games(only the version that you could not loook at your cards) this was called 7 card no peeky...great game that usually built quite a pot....

Edit: have never seen this game at online site nor do I ever think I will..

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem should remain the main focus... We shift players here and there, then you'll start getting traffic shortages... The way things are now are great, lets keep it that way.

I just wish they lifted the ban of online poker at the states. Would make for much softer games.

NLTH is far from having a shortage of players.

HORSE sngs on Stars on the other hand often take over half an hour to fill.

Don't know why people are scared of a bit of variety.

Y

YOYOJO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely love this game and wish that more people felt the same...I am playing quite a bit of PLO and recently started playing PLO8 but this game is extremely danerous to the BR...horse is fun but once again to have quality tourneys you must have a decent player pool...

Badugi isn't the problem, for me, it is limit poker that is the problem; limit poker feels like skinny jeans.

If I could find half-pot limit games then I'd play it every day.

------

As for why everyone and their grandma plays Texas Fold'em, it is simply because that is the game that repopularized poker.

Is learning several games "spreading yourself thin"? I don't think so!

There are "poker pairs" that you should know because they are nearly the same game (if not easily learned):

1) Stud, Razz, Stud 8

2) 5 card draw, Single Draw A-5, & Kansas City Lowball

3) Triple draw A-5, 2-7, Baduci, & Badugi

4) Omaha, Omaha 8, Courchevel, Courchevel 8, 3-card Omaha, 5-card Omaha, 6-card Omaha, & Crazy Pineapple.

While not very popular, I think 3-card Omaha is a perfect bridge between Texas Hold'em and Omaha.

5) Texas Hold'em & Pineapple (the better Texas Hold'em)

I don't know why Pineapple has not replaced Texas Fold'em...
Pineapple: you are dealt 3 cards and discard one prior to the flop.
Crazy Pineapple: you are dealt 3 cards and discard one after the flop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the limit format tourneys just seem to take a lot longer- and i think the "new" games are much less friendly to beginning players