Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nh AG, nh.
FYP. ;)

:eek: :D

I will throw out the occassional nh or wp but not simply as a need to say something "nice". I compliment only at the table when I believe something I just saw deserves some recognition. I've started to use nh now as more of a reinforcement of crappy players mistakes after they suck out on me. But I only use wp when I truly believe it was something done especially well and beyond the norm of the game.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP. ;)

I will throw out the occassional nh or wp but not simply as a need to say something "nice". I compliment only at the table when I believe something I just saw deserves some recognition. I've started to use nh now as more of a reinforcement of crappy players mistakes after they suck out on me. But I only use wp when I truly believe it was something done especially well and beyond the norm of the game.
:dito: :).

T

TroyVanz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had tables where people get sh!#ty when you dont say ty after they say nh. i do say nh but only to nh's ive lost 2, sort of a gentlemans way of losing.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That having been said, nh u donkey, lol, where's yo mama? I'm gettin on a plane tonite u donkey g&^% mo(*&^ P7684, bite me again! LOLOL!

BTW gg.

GG always reminds me of gum, BTW.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's one thing that's been bugging me ever since I started playing poker. Why on earth is it that people tend to say "nh" when you turn over a full house, quads or a similar big hand?
I never answer with "ty" because it makes no sense whatsover. It's not like I had any influence at all on what cards I was getting dealt. I guess they could say "nh" to the dealer, but he has no influence either.

Sorry got this all wrong. By 'nh' you mean they are sneezing, or is it more like a snort? The 'ty' sounds like a sneeze too.. Hmm, I like to say nh ty, gg gl all, pass the gum...

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I view "nh" as just a common courtesy, kind of like asking someone at work how they are doing even if I couldn't care less. Just trying to keep the game polite and distract from the fact that we all are trying to cut the other guys chips away from him and ride him into the poor house while we move on up to the mansion...

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP. ;)

So when you end up suckin someone out and a player says nh, do u say "I got lucky" or "ty".? ( the latter I suspect ). At the end of the day we all know suck outs occur ( geez ya should'a seen the WPT on tv this past weekend). All in AK calls are made every day with QK sooted and the QK wins, it's all down to respect for the other player, If he was willing to risk his stack with junk ( junk= 2 live cards ) or a good drawing hand (QK s) and they catch, is it really nessessary to sound off? OK they got lucky, is Doyle Brunson a #$%^ for winning 2 wsop's for pushing with 10 2 os. Many times I felt like throwin the lappy through the window, but as I said before, you only get really ticked off cause it's a tourney and ur out, or a ring and ur stack is gone. Long term, luck wins tournies, skill wins ring. I recall checking a str8 fl on the turn and a please call me bet on the river ( whick got called ) in a CC game on PS, the only comment was " we know who the $%^& is ). All oblique words were posted that way.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So when you end up suckin someone out and a player says nh, do u say "I got lucky" or "ty".?
Actually it all depends. In most cases I wouldn't reply at all if it was a public game since i rarely talk in those; though I have actually used both of those in the past based on motivation at the time.

At CC games lord only knows what I'd say ;) , but that is a totally different scene to start with. :)

C

CMAZ

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting Post guys,

I tend to us "nh" as a means of acknowledging a win, not so much a good play. I use "nice play" when I feel my opponent played well or outplayed me.

Last night I had a funny experience. I got sucked out on the river by an OSD despite raising pre flop, cbetting the flop and the turn. We bot hit the straight on the river but he had the top straight (I had pocket pair in the hole.) My opponent typed "ty" after winning the pot and felting me.
He is now in my buddy list and I can't wait to catch up with him again :).

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually say nh to donkeys whenever they win a hand. I figure it makes them feel like they are playing good and if they lose maybe they'll deposit again and keep playing.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
vfp - very funny post

There's one thing that's been bugging me ever since I started playing poker. Why on earth is it that people tend to say "nh" when you turn over a full house, quads or a similar big hand?
I never answer with "ty" because it makes no sense whatsover. It's not like I had any influence at all on what cards I was getting dealt. I guess they could say "nh" to the dealer, but he has no influence either.

Personally, I'd say "nh" if somebody played their hand really well, complimenting on their skill. But everbody seems to use it as a mere way of saying "boy, you sure got dealt some impressive cards there", which is answered by "thank you, I used all my skills to get dealt these impressive cards".

Why is it that a straight flush is an insta-VNH!! whereas a light value bet with second pair that gets called by a smaller pocket pair rarely is?

P.S.: Imagine you win the lottery. Your friend says "Very nice choice of numbers" and you answer "Thank you". Seems weird, doesn't it?

The only time I chat with nh afterwards is when I play a hand really well vs. some DONK like AAA I have pocket 99 and I lead out on the flop big to be called my J10 and the turn a 10. I then lose the hand that a guy called with nothing and got lucky. I love saying nh - then he says TY and I say I wasn't serious.

I am almost always sure to give props to someone that played a nh weather I'm in or out of the hand.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NH: Did you wash your hands before you did that?

S

Skitals

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer "nice fold." It's easier to call with a good hand, than to fold with one when you think you're beat.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a strange one really...

Some people mean it sincerely, Some people are inferring you got lucky...

But shoving a premium hand and winning with it is not really worthy of praise is it ?

I tend not to answer with TY cos if the intent of the compliment is sarcasm then you make yourself look even more foolish :)

T

Tu Ng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think saying nh is better than cursing them for taking all my chips or knocking me out of the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.