Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's one thing that's been bugging me ever since I started playing poker. Why on earth is it that people tend to say "nh" when you turn over a full house, quads or a similar big hand?
I never answer with "ty" because it makes no sense whatsover. It's not like I had any influence at all on what cards I was getting dealt. I guess they could say "nh" to the dealer, but he has no influence either.

Personally, I'd say "nh" if somebody played their hand really well, complimenting on their skill. But everbody seems to use it as a mere way of saying "boy, you sure got dealt some impressive cards there", which is answered by "thank you, I used all my skills to get dealt these impressive cards".

Why is it that a straight flush is an insta-VNH!! whereas a light value bet with second pair that gets called by a smaller pocket pair rarely is?

P.S.: Imagine you win the lottery. Your friend says "Very nice choice of numbers" and you answer "Thank you". Seems weird, doesn't it?

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's one thing that's been bugging me ever since I started playing poker. Why on earth is it that people tend to say "nh" when you turn over a full house, quads or a similar big hand?

Full House and Quads? I've had plenty of "nh" when i've gone all in with AK and AQ and won with Ace high! Or a Pair of 8's that wins a coin toss unimproved.

Most opponents wont understand or notice your really good plays - the reraise to a blind steal, the brave calls, the correct laydowns etc.

I'm happy that people do type nh, and gg though - it's a tell that they are playing for fun and not to win.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If Im not involved in a hand, I'll say 'NH' to anyone that shows a nice looking hand. Quads, boat, nutflush to beat 2nd nut flush, whatever. If its a nice play, I'll say 'nice play'. There is a bit of a difference.

If Im involved in a hand, I'll say 'Nh' to any hand that beats me. It doesnt matter if my KK gets cracked by J2o and the run 2 pair on me. It still gets a 'Nh'. I think its out of habit and I want to show a bit of a friendly personality.

S

sliver101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not an i prefer that to you lucky FXXXin donkey or similar lol

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's just a small matter of people being polite, giving congrats for a hand well played. I say it when I see a good hand played well.

I chuckle when I see an stupid play rewarded and someone says "nh" but don't say anything. Let the guy feel good and continue to make bad plays then pretty soon you'll have him dead to rights with a good hand. Comenting on how bad someone's play is will only lead to them either targeting you or worse yet actually make play better.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a small matter of people being polite, giving congrats for a hand well played.

Being dealt AA and calling an all in is a hand well played?

Agree with Chris, you very very rarely see this when someone has played a hand well.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, don't exactly get the point. If I get outplayed I'll say something like nh, or when someone calls down my bluff with like 2nd pair I'll say "nice call", but for example yesterday I made a nice call-down with an underpair to a shove and I got an "OMG" lol.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen pro's either say nh or tap the table which is the same thing, I've heard Tony G say wd you outplayed me, Howard Lederer Gus Hanson and Freddie Deeb say it all the time. Many times I have been told well played after flopping a boat and checking to the river to induce a bet, similar when hitting a str8 flush on the turn and checking to the river, maybe your playing with uneducated players?

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or when someone calls down my bluff with like 2nd pair I'll say "nice call"

Problem with the internet is that most people would take "nice call" as being sarcastic, even when you really meant it.

Joe Slick

Joe Slick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a small matter of people being polite, giving congrats for a hand well played. I say it when I see a good hand played well.

I chuckle when I see an stupid play rewarded and someone says "nh" but don't say anything.

I fully agree with the first statement and do that occasionally. I also sputter an "ouch" like I did last night when I found myself allin with a KJ against AA. By the end of the hand, the board included a T987, giving me a straight.

I'm one of those people who might not respond to a "nh" because, 1) I usually find chat distracting; and 2) I could be chatting with a friend who's watching my play. On not-rare-enough occasions, if I have the chat window open, I accidentally tell the table what cards I have!! :eek:

The "nh" is not nearly as ridiculous as an allin situation where the players say "good luck" to each other. At best it's insincere. However, it's a lot better than the players saying what they are really thinking.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Im not involved in a hand, I'll say 'NH' to anyone that shows a nice looking hand. Quads, boat, nutflush to beat 2nd nut flush, whatever. If its a nice play, I'll say 'nice play'. There is a bit of a difference.
Well, I guess if you see "nice hand" and "nice play" as two different things then it makes sense to simply use "nice hand" as a polite way of concluding the hand.
What doesn't make sense then is the other player answering with "thank you". He should just say "nice hand" himself then.

I don't know, maybe it's just a terminology thing or something.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often say nh to quads and straight flushes...i don't see anything wrong with that. Quads/straight flushes are nice hands that you don't see all that often. If somebody was to say "well played" for a straight flush, unless there was some serious trapping going on that worked very nicely, yea i see why that would make you think "wtf". But i don't really see how "nh" reflects upon the way the hand played out. When somebody says "nh" after 77 beats KK all in preflop then yes those players should be shot.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say nh all the time , and gg too . many times it is a nice hand and sometimes it's just the best hand at showdown . don't even understand how someone can confuse it with well played .

how could a common courtesy upset someone ? I love it when common courtesy is confused with just playing for fun , makes it fun to take their money :)
my suggestion would be for any crabass that don't like friendly chat to turn it off. and for the record anyone that wins the lotto , I think made a nice choice of numbers :) and for any compliment , I reply TY .

pretty silly thread but to each his own :)

N

notevnifubeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When somebody says "nh" after 77 beats KK all in preflop then yes those players should be shot.

With all of the times players should be shot, those of us struggling to pick up not just the game dynamics but the social customs as well are likely to bloody our keyboards into failure.

For some people socializing is just as high on their "Why I play" list as making money is, not mine, I really could care less about the person on the other end, but nh offers chatty players an opportunity to be warm and fuzzy.

On a side note, anyone who uses "warm and fuzzy" in a poker forum post should be shot!:shot:

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea all i was saying is that there are far better times to say "nh" than when somebody gets all in with the worst of it preflop and sucks out.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to be polite I guess. I agree that it's over done though. Personally, I find the use of nh cathartic. It helps me get over a particularly bad beat. The other night I busted out of a tournment on the 5th hand with top 2 when I called bottom pairs allin with bottom pair. He turned his 2 outer. That warranted a vnh.

crockofdoom

crockofdoom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am guilty of this,but it's a case of either typing nh or going on tilt and typing 'you *"^&! luckbox,how the hell could you call with that ?' Try it,it does work.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I reserve it for a hand that I actually think was played well - which isn't necessarily one where a person flopped a boat or something.

Though I will occasionally use it in the way that FourDogs describes: it's less likely to get you chat-banned than "You luckbox &*$$##SS^&S*!" I guess.

I'll also occasionally (very occasionally, actually) use it if I think it might tilt someone who's just taken a bad beat - having a third party tell the person who just sucked out horribly on you that they played the hand well can be mega-infuriating :p

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The "nh" is not nearly as ridiculous as an allin situation where the players say "good luck" to each other. At best it's insincere. However, it's a lot better than the players saying what they are really thinking.

I gotta say, I was astounded to find (and I am almost certain it is true) that 2 players folded to keep me alive yesterday. I think it was Carbon. Some really feel it is a freeroll, and are in it for the fun. I certainly am, and if leading, will always warn a nice chatmate to fold, regardless of who is in the sane hand. I'll wind up winning but not as much as I could have, and that is FINE. And I think many are the same way. If in a freeroll, it's a different mentality, they are there for the fun, as I am, and want to share a table with people they like.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
What doesn't make sense then is the other player answering with "thank you". He should just say "nice hand" himself then.
I was raised to respect other ppl, and saying thank you when someone says something nice to you is just politness and respect.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me when its a winning pot for me and someone says NH, i assume its more like nh wow i got owned and/or I thought i was winning.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and for the record anyone that wins the lotto , I think made a nice choice of numbers :) and for any compliment , I reply TY .
Yes, but I guess the difference between you and I is that I wouldn't take the "nice choice of numbers" as a compliment because it was completely random chance, not skill, that made me win.
Dito for taking down a pot with quads.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nh sir

Attachments

• nh.JPG
    nh.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 25