Why do people let the timer run out instead of folding?

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DISTRACTIONS!!

I can't tell you how many times I'm in the middle of a game and my family decides to watch a movie I haven't seen yet or a really good one that I haven't seen in a while. I get distracted and find myself timed out a lot in that situation.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's also situations where it is about a bigger cash. For example you got Aces you've got a average stack and a big stack pushes you all in. You see someone has a short stack and is also about to move all in or he's also timebanking. (This happend in the WCOOP main event with about 30 people left) They we're both timebanking (short stack and the guy with aces). But the short stack had a lower timebank so he moved all in with Ax. He lost. And the guy with aces won. But... What if the guy with aces didn't time bank, got bad beat and the guy with a short stack did timebank. The difference of cash was a few thousand dollars.

I was impressed by the fact that they even look at those small things. He probably had all tables open.

V

V6mitg6rewh6re

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally for me. If I'm focused and multi tabling I don't play slow unless I'm thinking about the decision in that situation . Most of the time I play quickly . Sometimes tho I might be focused on TV and accidently run the clock even on the bubble I don't play slow . Some players play slow cuz that's how they survive common tactic in double up sngs

jtholdm

jtholdm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TIME BANK

I have found that one of the reasons for this is that people multi table and they can not act fast enough especially in late rounds when they have the same time bank as other tables and have a big hand on the other. Also it is an advantage because most of the time it is a think think think fold situation:mad:

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I often do it to ensure that I am on the small blind when the blinds go up, so the other players then all have bigger blinds to pay than myself. Of course it's only worth doing if there are smaller stacks than yourself on the table.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the time, multi-tabling, don't know which table running out of time...LOL

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people like to get full time and then make decisions. Anyway there is not a rule that says u have to fold before the time run out. Sometimes it's so tough that you cant even fold a hand and this is your option.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are players who are multi-tabling and have issues on other tables. There are players who are trying to slowdown turns at their table to save their stack from blinds and ante. There are players who enjoy to unnerve others

H

hrld8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did it a few times usually because I was sort stack and didnt want to be bubble.Sometimes works and you can use it, the rules are not against you.

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will do it sometimes to avoid the bubble...especially when players on the other tables are doing it.

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like waterboy sez, could be for a number of reasons, but usually for a reason. There are some folks who deliberately use up 6-8 seconds or so, regardless of hand, to disguise their strength when folding or betting.... ie, not to be that player who insta folds bad hands and then all of a sudden raises or goes all in after taking some time to make that decision. By using a deliberate set time every hand, they are being skillfully coy. If it tilts anyone, so be it.
I had not thought of that before reading your post, that makes sense I believe I will now stop using the auto fold or auto call buttons. I know I get frustrated with the KLOKSUKKERS as I like to call them.
Also one thing you did not mention the longer each hand takes the less hands between the blinds raising. Those with bigger stacks want to see less hands before the blinds go up thereby helping to force action from the short stacks.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the last league, one player used software (I think) that, whatever his decision he maxed out time wise, every hand. Great for him to multi table but terrible for anyone on the same table. Feeder players are becoming in short supply and this is another deterrent for them to sit down and donate.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That play is meant to get people on tilt. I think it is rude and it does get to me all the time.. Especially when they do it just to blind out and not have any intention of playing. I wish the system would see this and do what Absolute poker use to.. exit them from the tourney if they sit out for the first level... For now just have to deal with those rude people. I also love how they do it when it is hand for hand... some people are just so rude and stupid it almost makes me laugh..

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a kind of tactics that i do not like ..but many players apply it

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people may just have lot internet connection or really not notice it while making a decision. Others could just be trying to be butts to others playing

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me mostly I time out when I'm not paying attention and I don't catch it in time. That's why I mostly now play with sound.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup i see peoples point here i have been guilty of letting time bank run down. but i have done it for various reasons which have been mentioned in the posts and of course i haven't done it in spite. but come on people no matter what reason it has been done for the house has given every player the same amount of time for the action. so its all in the game play of fairness given to each player no matter if there abusing it or not there's nothing i can or the other players can do i guess. with that said i would love to be able to reach over and flip a knot on someones head that is abusing the action lol.

J

jass503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes is strategy , or theyr just dumb lol

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mostly players playing for time to get to the prize area to the tournament and win the money well, and as there are other reasons when a person thinks for a long time trying to confuse these players or simply walked away from the game

tubexc

tubexc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are waiting for the bell saying
That the bubble has popped !

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe some players do to take chances .. others when a tournament that sums points when they stop spending more time other players are eliminated .... and others that they are matching ansisosos crazy and play with us any letter so lost hehehe ..

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If cash its probably as multitabling.

If tourney could be trying to beat the bubble.

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a rule I tend to act quickly;however, I have run into a few technology problems: 1. I used to have to reboot my old, steam-powered laptop during tournaments. Solved that problem by buying a new unit this year. 2. My DSL will drop out occasionally. Thinking about changing to a different service . . . someday. 3. My router from time-to-time has a hissey fit. This will be solved if I go to a new service which comes with a modem/router combination.

When any of the above happens, I simply express regret, and carry-on.

Cheers!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used the timer to avoid being the bubble boy. I feel like if I don't make the satellite/money then it wasn't meant to be. I'm not going to stall the game for everyone else so I can limp my way into a winning spot.

For some sick reason I kind of enjoy being the short stack. I love finding good hands to shove with and watching the fireworks at showdown. If I lose, I lose. Then again I don't play tournaments outside of my bankroll so I'm not stressed out if I lose my money.
---

Back to the timer subject

Only reason why I would run out of time is due to latency/internet issues, outside distractions away from the game, multi-tabling, or I have a really tough decision to make. EX: Someone just shoved me on the river and I'm trying to figure out if it's a stone cold bluff or he/she has a strong enough hand to knock me out or cripple my stack.

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players trying to min cash most of the time what a waste of there time and my time.

Folding in Poker