Who is Isildur1?

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know everyone just says he crushed durrrr but tbh, he just ran really well and his wins should be chalked up to positive variance more than anything.

He may have ran well, but he crushed him good enough to make everyone else afraid to play him at NLHE. He could barely get any NLHE action after he owned Durrrr.

sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has Isuldur played anything other than heads up though? i wonder what kind of 6 handed player he is. probably still better than 99% of the world.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure is easy for folks to say who the better player is... ;) To be honest I think people tend to pull for one or the other and it weights the judgement.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting interpretation about the most talked about topic/player in highstakes poker today... a guy who showed that he was able to crush Tom Dwan (not an easy task).
Not sure how you figure he bought respect? He built up a roll in less than 2mos. from 5figures to over 5million. (this is just what we know of... the bankroll on Fulltilt.. we have no clue as to what the rest of this guy's poker experience is... there have been many accusations that this is Viktor Blom (by Tony G for one).. but apparently Viktor adamantly denies it is him.
How do you figure that this guy needs to get BR advice when we have zero clue as to what his roll even is? (ie he's playing pots worth $700k+, I really don't think that losing 4mil in one day is that huge.... although I heard the total he lost in that day was closer to 2.8mil).
He's gained respect from poker greats such as Patrik Antonius but not from Storm Raven. That sounds a bit odd in itself???
I'm pretty sure he could teach us all a thing or two.... probably even stuff about BRM (one could assume he must know something about it to be even rolled to be considering playing those kind of stakes).

There are several people in this thread that have made negative remarks about him yet you choose to launch a personal attack against me. I find that odd.

You obviously don't agree with my interpretation, that's fine, you have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine.

So far, everything he has done (that Joe Q Public is aware of) has been short term. If he is still crushing the likes of PA & Dwan in the long term, then more power to him. If this happens, he will probably gain more respect from those who are currently withholding it.

It's my belief that right now, his money earnings is what is earning him respect, again I will point to short term results. I wouldn't be surprised if PA said what he did in the interview because it's smarter to tell your opp this than something negative that could jeopardize future earnings against him. It's also safer to say it in case it turns it he really is "all that" and sticks around for a long time.

It was my understanding that he built up his roll from 4 figures, starting with 2k. Regardless, his short term results are very impressive, I should be so lucky. You don't think losing 4 million in one day is that huge? You and I have different opinions on what huge daily losses are, that's for sure.

My opinion on him needing brm is from what I have read here, at different sites and his chat during the time he lost millions in one day. It appeared to me that he was on tilt. That is my opinion, I will stick by that unless new items are introduced.

Why does it sound odd that PA stated (we have no way of knowing if he meant it) that he respects this guy while I don't? Are you saying that because I am just an "Average Joe" that I do not have free will to respect which poker players I want to? I must follow along with what the pro's are saying? Why? I don't know this guy, he does not know me, so what difference does it make to you who I choose to give my respect to and who I choose not to? I really despise your inference that because I'm just me and not a pro that I don't have the right to say I don't respect him at this time. I prefer to lead in life PO, not follow. I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions without the likes of you attempting to tell me differently.

I'm sure he could teach me a thing or two about poker, but to "assume" he knows about brm just because he has a large bankroll is naive or foolish in my opinion. Of course you have a right to your opinion about that, I'm just stating mine.

And to be honest, I'm annoyed I am not able to leave a short post with a quick opinion with some basic generalizations without it being picked apart.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like Isildur1 is going to try to grind his way back up. He's waiting at a few of the smaller stakes tables at PLO and NLHE right now. No takers so far.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like Isildur1 is going to try to grind his way back up. He's waiting at a few of the smaller stakes tables at PLO and NLHE right now. No takers so far.

I've been looking at his sessions and he is still losing money at the lower stake tables. I think he is just a overagressive donk and it is really showing in his play. Soon enough he won't have any money left in his account I'd say he is down to his last 100k-200k. I did notice that after Isildur1 went down to -2+ million blom40 became active is that a coincidence?

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cole south is with him on 5 tables right now...and floating around one of the tables he is mark vos....:eek:

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cole south is with him on 5 tables right now...and floating around one of the tables he is mark vos....:eek:

Yep, just a few minutes after I saw him waiting, he and Cole opened up 5 tables. Last I saw Cole was owning him. Isildur1 is gone now, so I'm not sure how it ended. Cole and Benyamine playing now.

From the few hands I watched, Isildur1 seemed to be on complete 100% tilt. He was re-buying 20k and shoving like crazy.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, just a few minutes after I saw him waiting, he and Cole opened up 5 tables. Last I saw Cole was owning him. Isildur1 is gone now, so I'm not sure how it ended. Cole and Benyamine playing now.

From the few hands I watched, Isildur1 seemed to be on complete 100% tilt. He was re-buying 20k and shoving like crazy.

Career Valley: December 14th:-$2,629,705

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and the quick demise of another pretender to the online throne. who's next.

jaygt911

jaygt911

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was listening to Brian Hasting's interview on Poker Edge..
talking about how he only thought he was up like a million or so halfway through the match, and he refreshed his cashier to see he was up 2.5 haha, that must feel nice.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ESPN article (they collaborated to take down Isildur1?): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/columns/story?columnist=wise_gary&id=4740913

"Hastings had played Isildur1 three times previously, so he, Townsend and Cole South conglomerated their hand histories, allowing them to study the mystery man's playing style"

"We've done quite a bit of studying of his habits," Hastings reflected. "Honestly, I give most of the credit to Brian Townsend here. I mean, Brian is honestly the hardest worker I know in poker. He analyzed a database of heads-up hands that Isildur1 had played and constructed ranges of what Isildur1 was doing in certain spots. In a way, I feel bad that it wasn't Brian who got this win instead of me. Obviously I'm happy and I'll take it, but Brian did a ton of work. The three of us discussed a ton of hands and the reports that Brian made, so I'm very thankful to him and to Cole as well."

D

DennisC98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ESPN article (they collaborated to take down Isildur1?): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/columns/story?columnist=wise_gary&id=4740913

"Hastings had played Isildur1 three times previously, so he, Townsend and Cole South conglomerated their hand histories, allowing them to study the mystery man's playing style"

"We've done quite a bit of studying of his habits," Hastings reflected. "Honestly, I give most of the credit to Brian Townsend here. I mean, Brian is honestly the hardest worker I know in poker. He analyzed a database of heads-up hands that Isildur1 had played and constructed ranges of what Isildur1 was doing in certain spots. In a way, I feel bad that it wasn't Brian who got this win instead of me. Obviously I'm happy and I'll take it, but Brian did a ton of work. The three of us discussed a ton of hands and the reports that Brian made, so I'm very thankful to him and to Cole as well."

Interesting and thanks for the link and just found this too

RawVegas.tv went down to the WPT Five Diamond Classic to find out who ISILDUR1? really is.

http://wickedchopspoker.com/who-is-isildur1/

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least it's nice to know that even some of the best players in the world have trouble controlling their tilt.

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish he'd bring those millions to the micro stakes

I could do with some Christmas money

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was listening to Brian Hasting's interview on Poker Edge..
talking about how he only thought he was up like a million or so halfway through the match, and he refreshed his cashier to see he was up 2.5 haha, that must feel nice.
I did exactly the same thing, thought i was up a dollar, went to the cashier page, and was actually up $1.23, made my year that did!
Im such a highrolla.........

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is Isildur1

monopoly_man_bankrupt.gif

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I saw this brought up at another forum and they were discussing how this was against the rules and TOS at FT. It specifically states that hand histories cannot be shared. Interesting.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm simply stunned that this is being ignored here at this forum. Red Pros at Fulltilt broke the rules and no one is interested? :eek:

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm simply stunned that this is being ignored here at this forum. Red Pros at Fulltilt broke the rules and no one is interested? :eek:

That's a pretty common practice in online poker and I doubt even Isildur1 cares - I'm sure he does the same thing.

sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's not like they were all sitting behind the same screen during a session.
Probably still not a good iddea to admit that they did that though.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a pretty common practice in online poker and I doubt even Isildur1 cares - I'm sure he does the same thing.

Hmm. So it's common for three guys to combine their hand histories and study them in order to break another player? I don't buy that. Of course people discuss their hand histories and all that, but that's not what these three did.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's not like they were all sitting behind the same screen during a session.
Probably still not a good iddea to admit that they did that though.

I'd agree that they probably weren't sitting behind the same screen, but Townsend did say he railed the session. I'm sure he had alot to say to Hastings during the session with his notes from their combined hand histories.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is online now.

I used to hate the fact that players use databases, Huds, can buy hand histories, etc. I think it has changed the game enough to have destroyed it in one sense. Actually i still hate it. But I resigned to it's inevitability.

It is what it is. You play online. Your hands are online. Here... watch my last badly played session:
http://bit.ly/6Jo2VB

It is only the natural progression that we share hand histories. Who will stop us?

I wish it wasn't that way. I think it hurts the game.

But remember how Lars Ulrich argued so long and hard against music piracy?

Same basic thing.

Information wants to be free.