While playing online I...

• Total voters
JohnDixon

JohnDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love listening to music. I have over 120GB of music saved on my computer, and I was wondering....

Do you think that by playing a different style of music at the table can have affect the way you're playing?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how it could, but it might affect your game if you're paying too much attention to a particular song and not the table.

I listen to music all the time and I'll sometimes catch myself-while or after listening to a song I really like-thinking 'Wait, what just happened?'

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea.....

I love listening to music. I have over 120GB of music saved on my computer, and I was wondering....

Do you think that by playing a different style of music at the table can have affect the way you're playing?
According to most on-line pros, I've seen that ANYTHING besides playing poker will distract a player---music-TV--multi tableing etc. At least that's what I've read.:p

JohnDixon

JohnDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is more about the style of music you're listening to affecting your style of play.

For example:

When you're playing Metallica, do you feel like you're playing more aggressive?

Listening to Johnny Cash make you care free?

Listening to Yanni make you fall asleep on your keyboard and hit the "all in" button?

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What .... NO CAKE ??????
.... NO BASTARD ????????

Is nothing sacred !

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I listen to music and surf while playing. The music is just background noise to me so it doesnt effect my play much. But, the surfing of other forums screws me up more than anything lol

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't listen to music while playing unless I'm on my laptop...but my biggest wins I was lisening to my favorite music

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in my playing career, I used to surf the web during 'downtime'.

Then I came to the conclusion that there is no downtime and I needed to be paying attention to what was happening at the table.

As far as music goes, I like things nice and quiet.

Incedentally, this was one of the things that I found out I will have to get used to during live play. My first experience had me placed between two guys that liked to talk (one of them was also trying to look at my cards, but that's another story).

I found the talking a distraction, and I just wasn't used to playing poker and having multiple other things going on.

Next time I'm wearing a hoodie and sunglasses and just growl if someone starts flapping their gums.

(jk on the hoodie and sunglasses)

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I usually just "surf the web", post on here and a couple of other message boards while I'm playing. Sometimes I listen to music as well.

M

mozart5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
music can be very emotional. so i would imagine that it would effect you one way or another. i do very well when i listen to up beat music. but do not do well when i listen to slower music.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I never surf the web, and basically always listen to music.

Except for when I'm 1-tabling a tourney, like now, then I browse CC lol.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I never surf the web, and basically always listen to music.

Except for when I'm 1-tabling a tourney, like now, then I browse CC lol.

what tourney? big one?

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol steps to the WCOOP ME. Almost made step 5 but KK < A6 AIPF, so back to step 3, but about to get another step 4 ticket :)

arg thats sick, losing kk to a6 for a step 5 would send me into major life tilt.

well gl on getting back to step 5. :cool: be the one cc to get into ME

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
arg thats sick, losing kk to a6 for a step 5 would send me into major life tilt.

well gl on getting back to step 5. :cool: be the one cc to get into ME

Just made step 4, so top 2 to get into 5. fwiw there's no way in hell I'm playing in the ME, if I make it I'll sell the W$ and basically double my BR. Now if I win this, sell the W$, then end up going up the steps AGAIN, then I might consider playing it. But still, probably not. 5k is a lot of money.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess, if your BR is doubled from it then yeah obv take the money, a 2nd ticket though? Definately take a shot at it, if you are confident in your tourney playing skillz.

Imagine JUST cashing in that 5k beast, it would be *the* top CC tourney cash for probably what like 11-12k? Madness. If you actually run like god? Oh my god. imagine!

Coffee

Coffee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is more about the style of music you're listening to affecting your style of play.

For example:

When you're playing Metallica, do you feel like you're playing more aggressive?

Listening to Johnny Cash make you care free?

Listening to Yanni make you fall asleep on your keyboard and hit the "all in" button?
I definitely think that different music can effect you differently. But I think that it is very subjective and it probably vary from day to day as well(at least for me).

Most of the time I do other things when I play poker. I know it is bad for my game, I would probably play a little better (as everyone say) if I 100% focus on the table. Most of the time I am 95% focus on the game. So usually the other things (sport radio, Coffee & CAKE, phone, GB's of Mp3...) do not interfere to much :)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just made step 4, so top 2 to get into 5. fwiw there's no way in hell I'm playing in the ME, if I make it I'll sell the W$ and basically double my BR. Now if I win this, sell the W$, then end up going up the steps AGAIN, then I might consider playing it. But still, probably not. 5k is a lot of money.
I was under the impression that if u won a step ticket u couldnt change it for T$ and if u unregistered u just get another ticket in your acount.
Or am i just misunderstanding?

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the impression that if u won a step ticket u couldnt change it for T$ and if u unregistered u just get another ticket in your acount.
Or am i just misunderstanding?

Hmmm that could be true, but I think it means the tickets to play the "steps" themselves like 1-6 cannot be turned into W$ or T$ or anything, only used for steps or possibly other tourneys.

If u win the step 6 and get the ME ticket, I would think it could be turned into $W for sure...

G

gopnik885

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think good music helps to concintrate on the game, I turn on every time the last album of "Infected mushroom" and rocks on!

L

LostFan23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I surf or watch other tables if I'm only on one table. Better that then get too bored and play too many hands.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm that could be true, but I think it means the tickets to play the "steps" themselves like 1-6 cannot be turned into W$ or T$ or anything, only used for steps or possibly other tourneys.

If u win the step 6 and get the ME ticket, I would think it could be turned into $W for sure...

^^ this

But I eventually busted, won enough fpps though to literally make up for the step 1 buy-in. I was almost glad when I busted too, like finally, no need to play any more tournaments lol.

D

dailies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I usually play at night, my biggest thing is checking box scores of games while I play, just leave it on yahoo sports, and refresh it every few hands that I fold.
Makes me feel less bad about losing in poker, because I have to suffer more watching my mets blow it for a 2nd straight year.
(but if they make playoffs, i won raffle for tix...wooohoo)

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard about studies which compared the effects of music on student study habits. I can't cite any directly but one of the common results I've heard is that listening to classical music increases retention of material. My high school Latin professor would play classical music during his exams, for example. Anyway, I could believe that if certain musical genres aid in retention of information then those same genres may help players focus during a poker game.