nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Anyone who has played poker must have come across this term. "Nuts"certainly gives confidence at the table. But where did it come from such an expression?

I found this information on the internet. finds itself in the wild west, players often put their carts on the line when they were sure they would not lose. If the player made such a bet, they were required to remove the nuts from the wagon and place them on the table. This meant that he could not run away when his hand was losing. Hence the term was born. Do you think this information is true?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
No Idea, but the time to take the nuts off would exceed their timebank. ;)

Maybe it's because you have your opponent by the nuts and gently squeezing harder the closer to the river you get. 🤷‍♂️

(y)

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
it is believed the term originated from poker games where if a player bet everything he possessed, he would place the nuts of his wagon wheels on the table to ensure that, should he lose, he would be unable to flee and would have to make good on the bet.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Totally believe it's due to our squirrels in the CardsChat league @Tracid, @whiskers77 . 🤪

Squirrels love the NUTS. 🤓

Tbh I have no idea but the story seems reasonable.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The squirrel i saw earlier tonight disagrees with this statement.
Why did the 🐿️ did not want his 🥜?

Was it ran over by a car or smth in attend to get them? 🙊

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good question! :)

This is what I found on Wikipedia (seems logical given the time) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_h...d certainly apocryphal,to flee and would have

Origins​

A common and certainly apocryphal folk etymology is that the term originated from the historical poker games in the colonial west of America, where if a player bet everything he possessed, he would place the nuts of his wagon wheels on the table to ensure that, should he lose, he would be unable to flee and would have to make good on the bet. Since it would be expected that a player would only make such a bet when he had the best possible hand, the folklore says that this is how the best possible hand came to be known as the nuts. It is also rumoured that these historical games were played only in the winter, and therefore, the nuts that were placed on the table were "stone cold", hence coining the term "stone cold nuts".

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
And I would always think it's nuts as walnuts, etc. as it's impossible to crack them (if they are in their shell) :LOL:

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This combination is the strongest, as are nuts, which are impossible to figure out.:)

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is what I found on Wikipedia (seems logical given the time) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_hand#:~:text=A common and certainly apocryphal,to flee and would have

Origins​

A common and certainly apocryphal folk etymology is that the term originated from the historical poker games in the colonial west of America, where if a player bet everything he possessed, he would place the nuts of his wagon wheels on the table to ensure that, should he lose, he would be unable to flee and would have to make good on the bet. Since it would be expected that a player would only make such a bet when he had the best possible hand, the folklore says that this is how the best possible hand came to be known as the nuts. It is also rumoured that these historical games were played only in the winter, and therefore, the nuts that were placed on the table were "stone cold", hence coining the term "stone cold nuts".
wow, never heard that) great legend/story :love:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post from Shells taught me something I didn't really give much thought to previously :)

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who has played poker must have come across this term. "Nuts"certainly gives confidence at the table. But where did it come from such an expression?

I found this information on the internet. finds itself in the wild west, players often put their carts on the line when they were sure they would not lose. If the player made such a bet, they were required to remove the nuts from the wagon and place them on the table. This meant that he could not run away when his hand was losing. Hence the term was born. Do you think this information is true?
Although i would like to think the nuts refers to my immensly special private parts i do believe the wagon story to be true.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Why did the 🐿️ did not want his 🥜?

Was it ran over by a car or smth in attend to get them? 🙊
No clue but the one i saw on my balcony was carrying some other "food" in his mouth ...

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting and quite fun this information about "Nuts". Living and learning. Poker is also culture!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

This is what I found on Wikipedia (seems logical given the time) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_hand#:~:text=A common and certainly apocryphal,to flee and would have

Origins​

What was stopping the player from just taking off on the horse that pulled the cart, leaving the cart behind. :unsure:

;)

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not everyone agrees on the origin of the word "nuts". Nuts in English means "nuts", but it can also mean "nuts". A legend that was of the cowboy, ensured that an apostate was protected, like walnuts from vehicles that were designed to be drawn like walnuts on the table. This means that the bet was safe and that the loser could not escape. Although you can have the nuts at any stage of the hand, the term "nuts" is generally used only for the river, as the nuts on the flop are not as expected as the nuts in the river.