What's made the biggest difference in you poker career

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing that made the big game changer for me was realizing and accepting that im not as good as i think i am. It wasnt until i really put this thought into my head that i allowed myself to fix my leaks and address big problems in mu game.. I think way too many people let their ego get in the way...

You have to be honest with yourself and look back at your sessions and really thnk about the hands you played poorly and figure out how you can do better next time... Doing this has exponentially improved my game

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing that made the big game changer for me was realizing and accepting that im not as good as i think i am. It wasnt until i really put this thought into my head that i allowed myself to fix my leaks and address big problems in mu game.. I think way too many people let their ego get in the way...

You have to be honest with yourself and look back at your sessions and really thnk about the hands you played poorly and figure out how you can do better next time... Doing this has exponentially improved my game

T

Titleist1977

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing that helped me the most was to quit trying to be so greedy. Sense I have quit that I have had much more success in tournaments.

S

spstevens

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My brother in law (like a second father to me) , he taught me how to win and lose with the same grace as well as BR management , and patience without which I would be quite the cash cow .

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Several things have made big differences for me. It's hard to pick one that had the most impact, partly because the later ones likely couldn't have happened without the earlier ones. With that caveat, one was when I stopped thinking everyone should play what I considered good poker, and started focusing much more on how they actually play. This was a key in two ways. It led to getting better at exploiting opponents' weaknesses and leaks, and also to not exposing myself as much / as often in tricky situations against decent and better players.

I like this, i try to not put myself in as many tricky situations as possible/

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A lot of players think they are a lot better than they are.

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am guilty of playing aggressive once ahead in chips and most of the time this is bad for me. Cash game should be strictly ABC poker with a little light bluffing perhaps to shake things up.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Easing up on my aggression and learning to fold when I know I'm beat.

At least it's easier than being passive/nitty and trying to add more aggression.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position is important the closer the button must're more aggressive, but also depends on the strength of your hand, the number of blind you have, and already know how likely it is your hand to win, count your outs and odds. know the SPR also helps .. are several factors that can help you. and most important is said several bankroll control, otherwise you could not do anything else ..

Venom246

Venom246

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understanding ICM and just recently i got coached and found out my betsizing was terrible, those 2 makes a huge difference for sure in my play.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players think they are a lot better than they are.

Yes they do... I like these players because they are easy to beat if they are regulars because they dont improve and often make the same mistakes.

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
breaking my back and needing to win to eat. took the fun out of it but learned how to play

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easing up on my aggression and learning to fold when I know I'm beat.

At least it's easier than being passive/nitty and trying to add more aggression.

I know a lot of people that just can't fold..On the way out of the game i hear them say " i new he had a set but i had to call"

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I responded with "planning" earlier as a small picture difference. Example: When I get a hand I'd like to play, I decide how much of a raise I'm willing to call if no one else calls the raise, and I'll adjust if there are other callers giving me good odds.

But for the big picture, the biggest difference in my "career" (hobby) has come from training sites and products. In order to play like the pros, you have to learn to think like them, so I pay for training and try to get good deals on video products.

Some of the guys in the league I play in have spent up to $1800 for live training, and it has paid for itself a few times over for one of them. I've probably spent close to that on books and training vids myself, but I'm still just trying to break even on a serious hobby. :D

I'm getting there though, thanks to training.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far for me the importance of position and hand selection has made the biggest improvement in my game, but I still have A LOT to learn.

Q

Quasimodo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of information and certainly position allows the player to gain the most info. Especially live action.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was one Hand : as I lost with A 2345 vs 23456 a 1300 $ Pot . From then I stopped to play high stakes and changed to just playing for fun on micro stakes
gl on the felts

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was one Hand : as I lost with A 2345 vs 23456 a 1300 $ Pot . From then I stopped to play high stakes and changed to just playing for fun on micro stakes
gl on the felts

I thought you were going to say your lesson was to not get it all in with the idiot end of a straight.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching videos on youtube. Just basic PAD videos to get to grips with how pros play then watching phil galfond who explains lots of sessions in depth, and so i know about position and when a call/raise/fold are actual options.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching videos on youtube. Just basic PAD videos to get to grips with how pros play then watching phil galfond who explains lots of sessions in depth, and so i know about position and when a call/raise/fold are actual options.

I think you tube is a great source for information, have you looked at gripsed training video's ?