What turned you on?

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
me and my buddy hustled a kid for like $150 in grade 9 and split it between us. (whoever had already folded would look at both hands still in, then give the signal. he never caught on)

this was when i realized poker was amazing

Bernard Pugi

Bernard Pugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in high school when my elder brother taught me about poker. He told me how interesting it is and I got to try it. Didn't think twice, I love it.

JessyMoneyAA

JessyMoneyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I first played on internet, i saw a commercial from Everest Poker on

television and started to from this pont.

S

sweet_red78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly i got started playing poker when my kids asked me about it an since then we all get together every sunday and play poker. for candy, pennies or someother small object that we just happen to have alot of.

mattj15

mattj15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just was bored one night and watched on ESPN and was like, damn If these clowns can win this much money so can I.

irishlatent

irishlatent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always had a friend of mine that played for a living, he was not great or a pro, but he grinded the 100nl tables to pay his rent, and poker was all he ever talked about, finally he invited me to a home game, and while I didn't play (thankfully) I did bet on sports a lot so to me it seems a perfect fit. Sparked my interest and a few bankrolls later here I am.

That was about 5-6mos ago or so I would say.

Last edited:
WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All night College poker games with friends, that continued years after we all graduated....well before the days of MoneyMaker and much of any poker on TV (well ESPN did have the early days of wsop broadcast <when events had a reasonable amount of entries>, but I dont think I ever saw the real early versions)

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knee high leather boots, garter belts, hand cuffs. ;)

yes I read the OP but meh...

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well one time it was a room full of these .....

Attachments

• 1369644832_12ff4d102d_b.jpg
    1369644832_12ff4d102d_b.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 9
T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it was fellow Aussie Joe Hachem winning the WSOP ME although funnily enough I am not his biggest fan as I think he is a bit arrogant. Having said that he has won a WSOP ME and WPT title and is one of only a handful to do that so maybe he has the right to be arrogant.

The Muppetteer

C

cardsharkrob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I used to shoot pool and down pool hall played some card games with others like Tonk and made money off that and someone asked if I wanted to come over the next day for a few texas holdem games and I didnt know how to play, I mean I knew how to play 5 card draw so I went over and there was 10 of us playing on a poker table and we played 2 tournaments and I won both playing really smart. From there i did like 18 hour cash games at my apartment with 9 friends or doing a tournament every week then played online and just got hooked. Watching it on tv all the time. My biggest playing not in hold'em but was in 5 card double draw, we played with 5 people, and for 10 dollars a hand, would walk out with like 400 bucks on some nights. thats fun.

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played 5 card draw with family as a kid, only got onto holdem after it got popular on TV. It was about 3 years ago when me and my friends started having regular home games... visited a few cardrooms and lost some money. At the moment its mostly freerolls for me

R

roy22284

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
luv at first deal

The first time I played NL holdem was when I moved in with a good friend, her and a few of her peeps came over once a week to play. They got me to sit down, it was only a $20 buyin on 9 people but it was good enough to get me hooked. I was new so I kinda sat back and watched their faces as they looked at their cards, instead of looking at my cards. If everyone just called I would raise double the big blind (blind myself) it was just a couple hands in and they were all getting mad cause I was winning with BS. the cards were dealt, they all bet back round to me and I called. The flop was some low cards with an A, I had not looked at my cards so when everyone checked around to me I went all in. They were all so mad everyone called with something, the river was another A. I looked at my cards and BOOM AAAA, They were SOOOOOOOO MADDDDDDDDD- I have been hooked every since.

D

derekjonas56

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually I take that back I never really was TURNED ON by poker, either. I only played strip poker once before actually playing real poker. And I refused to play poker because I lost soooo quickly in strip poker. I eman. SOOOO quickly. HOWEVER, I did have a hella' good time. Hell I don't think there is such a thing as a fun poker game without a few nekkid people. Always ends in a good night, if you ask me.

daguksta

daguksta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually playing freeroll's turned me onto poker. Winning cash online, my first freeroll win was around 40-50 bucks when Cardschat used to have those big freerolls :(

TexGuy

TexGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got my butt kicked in a home game so I became obsessed with getting better.
I still get my butt kicked in home games.

P

PISSST

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mates invited me to a home game, it's been slowly taking over me since.

Falloooooon

Falloooooon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After Moneymaker, I figured there had to be a lot of dump people playing cards online. I am sometimes too arrogant for my own good, so I signed up, figuring that I could just start raking it in with no clue. I even had an upswing to start and thought I was right. Then my results started to reflect my real skill level. I bought Sklansky's Small Stakes Hold 'Em and that was the start of me understanding what was going on.

I mostly just play small stakes tourneys now and I've done okay, but I don't know if I've played enough to know for sure if I'm actually any good.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was hooked the first night I went away as a winner....the next night I lost it.....Been trying to get it back ever since

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was in high school, a few friends and myself played on party poker. One friend and myself built a decent roll, and at the time I moved to pokerstars while he stayed there. Now 4 years later I know I am not regretting anything.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went to college and didnt know what to take but there were some players in the caf and I sat down and started winning and never looked back. BTW the players in the caf were 'pros' and not going to skul at all... I never registered (that time)...
There was no HE then. It was stud and draw and hi lo and all sorts of crazy games also. Guts was a good one (sorta like no limit but more painful -- if you lose the hand u also have to match the whole pot for the next hand coming up, Owwww).